Creating An Earth (Grounding) In Our House

soundmagus

Hi, I have a lot of electrical gear which i use to make music and to do my work on but as there is no Earth here (grounding) in the plugs i was wondering if anyone here can do this or can explain to me how its done. I have all ready purchased a large metal rod, cable etc for creating a ground this way but i hate working with electricity especially when i am not sure what i am doing is correct. IS there an other way to get Earth here, can i buy 3 pronged plugs and create the earth that way by connecting an earth cable and attaching that to the metal rod in the garden? Many thanks, Mark

I strongly suggest that if you are unsure, or feel incapable of dealing with electrical issues, that you should call someone else in to do it for you. It just isn't safe to mees about with and endanger lives.

All your sockets will need new wiring and connecting to your consumer unit, then the earth connecting to you earth rod. To do just a few sockets would give rise to complacency, leading to accidents.

I agree.

I have a fully qualified UK electrician comi ng to tell me what i need to do tomorrow.

Small world sometimes, dood i met a few weeks ago son is a sparky and i happened to meet him this morning at breakfast - NICE :)

Not much faith in the locals then? Every time I've required help they have done a diamond job, competitive prices too.

I only hope this helps, a friend of mine had his shower grounded with a copper grounding rod. There was a storm and lightning must have struck the ground. It was picked up by the earth rod and blew up all his electric's shower comp: it didnt cancel his C/breaker's as it come back through the earth system. Lucky he wasn't having a shower or useing the comp: at the time. Just make sure you get a peep's that know's what he's doing. Best of luck. Please keep us posted. P.s there some good Thai electricion's about one in every 20,000.

Edited by fredob43

You may need one or more grounding rods depending on the ohms which needs to be checked. I think up to 5 ohms equals one ground rod which should connect back to the main breaker. This is what I saw yesterday at a job just completed.

I paid a local Thai to hook up a ground for my hot water heater in the bathroom.

He simply took a wire and screwed it into the concrete (block) wall.

I later got a real (read farang) electrician to run a ground or earth wire down through my kitchen floor in a corner.

He drilled a hole through the tile and cement and pounded the copper rod down through it.

Reminds me of the time I hired a local to do some plumbing work.

A day later, while we were sleeping, I heard a gushing noise and one of the elbows he put in came apart.

Turned out he forgot to use glue.

Do the work yourself is probably best.

I paid a local Thai to hook up a ground for my hot water heater in the bathroom.

I later got a real (read farang) electrician to run a ground or earth wire down through my kitchen floor in a corner.

He drilled a hole through the tile and cement and pounded the copper rod down through it.

A day later, while we were sleeping, I heard a gushing noise and one of the elbows he put in came apart.

I have so many of these stories they have stopped being funny..

Skilled (and honest) tradesmen are really hard to find, the last 'electrician' who came here electrocuted himself..

Skilled (and honest) tradesmen are really hard to find, the last 'electrician' who came here electrocuted himself..

Yes one must always keep the contacts of skilled, honest, reliable tradesmen especially electricians as they can lead to life & death situations more so than other trades.

Did you have any legal, financial problems with the "electrician's" death? It must have been quite a shock (no pun intended).

Yes one must always keep the contacts of skilled, honest, reliable tradesmen especially electricians as they can lead to life & death situations more so than other trades.

Did you have any legal, financial problems with the "electrician's" death? It must have been quite a shock (no pun intended).

Oh he didnt die.. Just yelped and fell of the ladder..

Nothing

I v witnessed local electrical engineer grounding bathroom waterheater using plastic plug for the screw in the wall :jap:

HI Guys,

All sorted.

It was a Thai that done it in the end, recommended by my English electrician friend.

There was an earth all ready here, he just attached the cable to the existing one but also put in new plug socket with ground wire too and its perfect :)

thanks

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I hope the 'earth fault loop impedance' is within the required limitations, otherwise your earth will not be effective.

I wonder how many loop impedance testers there are in the possession of Thai domestic sparkies (the industrial chaps seem pretty good) :)