Thai Govt Hires US Consultant To Boost Economic Confidence

webfact

PM: US Consultant Hired to Help Boost Economic Confidence

The prime minister has said the Finance Ministry's plan to hire a U.S. consultant is aimed at boosting economic confidence.

He also extended moral support to the Bank of Thailand deputy governor, who was in the running to become the new central bank governor, despite losing to the Kasikorn Bank president.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the plan to hire a U.S. consultant is aimed at promoting economic confidence, which has been beset by the recent domestic political crisis.

Abhisit extended moral support to BoT Monetary Stability Deputy Governor Bandid Nijathaworn, who was in a four-way race to become the new chief of the central bank.

Bandid earlier said he is disappointed by the Cabinet's decision not to promote someone who is already working for the BoT.

The Cabinet endorsed the appointment of Kasikorn Bank President Prasarn Trairatvorakul as the new governor of the BoT to succeed incumbent Governor Tarisa Watanagase as the 22nd BoT governor.

Abhisit added that the Cabinet has chosen to promote someone outside the BoT before.

He denied speculation that Bandid will be appointed secretary-general to the National Economic and Social Development Board or given a seat on the Chiang Mai Initiative board.

The premier believes the new governor will able to put his experience working for Kasikorn Bank to good use while avoiding conflicts of interest.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-09

footer_n.gif

This is a private person they are hiring, correct? It sounds like it. Makes sense if that person can help, regardless of nationality. I agree it would be unseemly if they hired a U.S. government representative, but I seriously doubt that is happening. Nix on the xenophobic comment here. Thailand needs the best help it can get. Period.

This is Thailand.

Thailand does NOT need the help of USA.

Where does the article say the USA is going to help Thailand?

The prime minister has said the Finance Ministry's plan to hire a U.S. consultant is aimed at boosting economic confidence.
And I disagree with you, Thailand does need help, not necessarily from the USA or any particular country... But someone who has a different viewpoint than a Thai may be able to help... But I doubt Thais will listen with their; this is Thailand and Thailand is for Thais attitude. But it's not up to me and it's not my problem...

This is Thailand.

Sorry Rucharee your beloved Mark thinks Thailand needs American help he couldnt possibly be wrong now could he? after all you have never said he has ever done anything wrong including killing innocent journalists. Maybe some advice from the first world would be a good thing if Thailand is ever going to develop.

PM to Lead Roadshows in August and September

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is scheduled to lead a series of roadshows in foreign countries in August and September, in hopes of reinforcing foreign trade and investments.

The Deputy PM's Secretary-General, Panithan Wattanayakorn, in his capacity as the PM's Office spokesman, said the premier will lead a series of roadshows which may include Myanmar.

The trip to Myanmar is expected to be in early August, following several postponements due to the recent political crisis.

In September, Abhisit will fly to the U.S. to join a UN meeting. A trip to Russia has been postponed until summer break in Russia is over.

Abhisit is also scheduled to visit Middle Eastern countries to talk with leaders there about cooperation between Thailand and their nations in investment and labor.

A concern about Thai workers in Middle East has been raised by a reporter from the region who urged Abhisit to oversee the situation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-09

footer_n.gif

This is Thailand.

Your probably right the US and Europe have their own problems hardly the people to advise Thailand, may be Mark should be using his knowledge gained from his impeccable English Oxford education to advise them

on how to boost economic confidence.

He could set up a couple of comities to look in to it. ;)

My guess is it's a marketing consultant they are hiring.

Spend lots of money on telling everyone what a great place it is to do buisness,

But do nothing of any substance.

Just like the tourist industry.

This is Thailand.

Rucharee, it is not the USA, but one consultant from the USA.

Is it believable that every world leader knows everything about all other parts of the world?

No, there is not time to learn everything, so they practice delegation of responsibility.

A modern leader MUST find the best 'practical solution' to a nations problems.

Consultants are used world wide because they have certain expertise that is useful.

And faster than 'training a local' in the same knowledge, by years or more.

I can't see why employing any one foreign national or company with certain expertise,

is seen as a slap at Thai nationalist pride. Not any more than USA hiring a Thai consultant

on a subject that person is expert at would diminish the USA.

By saying 'No we can't use input from those without Thailand' only for purely national pride reasons,

LIMITS Thailand's reach on the world market place. The opposite of what is best for Thai national interests.

SO leading roadshows internationally should ONLY be done with Thais?

And no consideration that a local in the target nation, might actually know

MORE about who you are trying to sell Thailand too.

Ignoring local knowledge is like walking down a totally dark hall in a strange building,

only guided by your friends memories of that building, not someone who lives there,

and knows where the doors are and if a bicycle was left in the hall to trip on.

Edited by animatic

A number of 'experts' believe that financial systems are not built on printing money or regulations. They're, built on confidence.

Right now, a lot of countries are looking for help in building economic confidence - anywhere they can find it!

Edited by rijb

A number of 'experts' believe that financial systems are not built on printing money or regulations. They're, built on confidence.

Right now, a lot of countries are looking for help in building economic confidence - anywhere they can find it!

Spot on.

The easiest source of quick cash is of course tourism but I think they need an Indian, Chinese, Russian consultant for that area. Might as well write off western tourism because of the local political situation and the rampant problems that make the news continually in western media.

The next largest area I think is auto exports. The largest customers and I think Thailand’s largest trading partners are the US, China and Japan. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I do know that the US was Thailand's

largest trading partner a few years ago.

Where are the large growth markets? China and India.

What does Thailand have that China and India don’t have? Arguably less corruption.

Of third world countries with cheap labor and few environmental restrictions, Thailand looks pretty good.

I am an American and a consultant. I would advise Thailand to hire some big wheels from China and India to advise them who to pay the bribes to. Once that was accomplished the rest should be easy.

One needs to take advantage of the lack of business ethics in Thailand and leverage that with the lack of business ethics in the largest growth markets. Seems like a no brainer to me.

This is Thailand.

FYI

In 2007 the USA paid in aid to Thailand USD5,390,000, in 2008 it is estimated to be USD6,452,000 and in 2009 was requested to be paid USD11,100,000.

(Source: http://www.usaid.gov...2009/101439.pdf , page 44)

in 2004-2005 Thailand received from:

1. Japan: USD765,000,000

2. Germany: USD31,000,000

3. France: USD27,000,000

4. EC: USD19,000,000 (For your knowledge this means basically Europe)

(source: http://www.fas.org/s...row/RL31362.pdf page 29)

So much about Thailand does not need the US.

Now there are 2 solutions:

Either your dear Mark tell those countries that Thailand does not need their help and money,

or

Thailand AND THAI PEOPLE START TO SHOW THOSE COUNTRIES AND THEIR CITIZENS THE RESPECT THEY DESERVE!

Edited by Hyponeros

As far as I know the Thai Government hired last month the Washington based Podesta Group to assist in boosting international confidence in the Thai economy.

Kindly post a reference. URL to a newspaper article will do.

This is Thailand.

Funny about your excited little post. Why not think a little. USA is a country. Abhisit is looking for a US consultant. A very different thing. ie, a consultant will be from the private sector, totally nothing to do with the "USA" per se.

Let me guess his choice......... Michael Porter....... 555555

This is Thailand.

Correct - Thailand needs lots of education but not necessarily from the USA but it cannot happen from within. It needs it from the world at large or it will continue to be its bumbling self in spite of itself. Sorry K. Rucharee - Thailand continuing to put its head in the sand does not solve Thailand's problems. And no amount of PR from a Yank is going to help international perspective of this country. None whatsoever but at least by bringing in someone who could make a difference, it is perhaps a start. A Thai appointed person will continue to do what Thai appointed people do - feed the monster of corruption and that is what the world sees Thailand as. TAT, BoT, The Govt - no way - it has to start with full transparency of the 40 families who own your country. Then you may see some changes but not in our life times and that is for sure.

Edited by asiawatcher

Grant all US citizens with Lao wives Thai citizenship. This is the only thing that can turn the economy around. I'm not saying this just because it happens to be my situation but I think we all can agree this makes sense and is fair. :D

I hope they don't use one of the consultant that fuc_ked up USA economy

If you're one of those Tea Party wackos, I guess that would be John Maynard Keynes........

Keynes was quite correct in his economics, my uncle, an economist, knew him personally,

the problem comes when politicians and big business tie up to closely, and tilt the equation.

There is a difference between using consultants and lobbyists as your source of info for legislation.