Thought For The Day

Neeranam

Contentment

A Smile can make short work of any difficulty.

Just being happy helps others

Peace

When I get angry I lose more than my temper

Love

The only way to gain respect is firstly to give it

When one will not, two cannot quarrel

Power

Past is Past

What I experience now is a result of the past; what I experience in the future depends on what I do now

Knowledge

Watch your thoughts, they become words

Watch your words, they become actions

Watch your actions, they become habits

Watch your habits, they become character

Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Or, loving our family and friends is easy, but can we love our enemies?

I must say that I can't love my enemies, yet!

I have made a lot of progress though in the last few years.

I find that if I pray for them then they seem to cease being enemies.

I look on them as being sick people who I want to get better.

I often have to say, "please let them get what they deserve", which is one way of getting round praying for good things for them.

Maybe one day, I will be able to love them.

I think that before one can love an enemy or one who has hurt us, we first must learn to forgive them. That is, separate their sin from the sinner (them). We are all sinners at some point, so we can begin to see them as equals and thus forgive them as we might forgive ourselves.

For particularly malicious people, this is not easy. But I try to see just how deep they are into their ill and misbegotten path and feel compassion for the punishment they must live with every day. Virtue is its own reward and vice its own punishment.

• Like 1

Some people regard themselves as perfect, but only because they demand little of themselves. - Herman Hesse

I have struggled with perfectionism, which is a central issue. Sometimes I feel ashamed and frightened by my imperfections, or strive so hard to overcome them that I successfully close my life down to a very narrow, controllable scale. Spiritual awakening, which is what I am after, means I have zest for life and accept my imperfections.

I know today may be shaky and insecure in some ways. I will probably make some mistakes or offenses. My solution is not my old drinking, drug abusing behaviour of attenpting to control whatever happens, it is to join life with a spiritual feeling. I let myself go of myself, and what happens? I am part of a larger whole. i am not inb comtrol of the process of life, and whatever I do is part of an ongoing dialogue, so I will have another chance to respond, even to my own mistakes.

I pray today for liberation from my perfectionism so I can more fully engage in life's adventure.

It is terribly amusing how many different climates of feeling one can go through in a day. - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

The Ten Worlds ,or Ten States of Life... teaches that everybody possess ten basic inner states of being which we all experience from moment to moment.

The Buddha In Daily Life~Richard Causton

QUOTE(Jai Dee @ 2005-07-21 07:57:09)

It is terribly amusing how many different climates of feeling one can go through in a day. - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

The Ten Worlds ,or Ten States of Life... teaches that everybody possess ten basic inner states of being which we all experience from moment to moment.

Interesting and good quote jai Dee.

Gohonzon, what are these 10 things, and do you believe this?

Neeranam

The Ten Worlds, or at least the six lower worlds and at least two of the higher Higher worlds are not so much to do with belief as naming life states easily reconisable as being innate within us all. Whether anyone accepts he two worlds of Bodhisattva and Buddhahood depends on which school of Buddhism that you adhere to, and how one defines Budhahood. The Ten Worlds are not places,of course, but are rather states of mind.

There are six lower “Worlds,” which represent the base emotions of all living beings.  They are:

######

Hunger

Animality

Anger

Heaven

Humanity

The Four Higher worlds are:

Learning

Realization

Bodhisattva

Buddhahood

A basic definition of what the Ten Worlds are ,and on their mutual possession, can be found on:

http://www.sgi-uk.org/index.php/buddhism/tenworlds

The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of ######, a ###### of heaven~John Milton, Paradise Lost

PS

Can't seem to edit. Just to note that the word denoted by the hash symbols is in fact He.ll. I cannot for the life of me why it is that word is filtered?

I've come to the conclusion that the web board software must have been written by fundamentalist Christians!

• Like 1

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-07-21 14:54:52)

Neeranam

The Ten Worlds, or at least the six lower worlds and at least two of the higher Higher worlds are not so much to do with belief as naming life states easily reconisable as being innate within us all. Whether anyone accepts he two worlds of Bodhisattva and Buddhahood depends on which school of Buddhism that you adhere to, and how one defines Budhahood. The Ten Worlds are not places,of course, but are rather states of mind.

There are six lower “Worlds,” which represent the base emotions of all living beings.  They are:

######

Hunger

Animality

Anger

Heaven

Humanity

Learning

Realization

Bodhisattva

Buddhahood

A basic definition of what the Ten Worlds are ,and on their mutual possession, can be found on:

The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of ######, a ###### of heaven~John Milton, Paradise Lost

Gohonzon, thanks a lot for that.

I have a heell of a lot of learning to do.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-07-21 14:54:52)

Neeranam

######

Hunger

Animality

Anger

Heaven

Humanity

Learning

Realization

Bodhisattva

Buddhahood

Gohonzon, thanks a lot for that.

I have a heell of a lot of learning to do.

How about: the state of your fingernails reflects the state of your mind!- Anon

He that to what he sees, adds obsevation, and to what he reads. reflection, is in the right road to knowledge.

Could be true, my nails are in a mess, due to some disease. :o

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man in either a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of honor.-LOG

• Like 1

He that to what he sees, adds obsevation, and to what he reads. reflection, is in the right road to knowledge.

Could be true, my nails are in a mess, due to some disease. :o

I actually made that quote up years ago in a "reflective" state of mind. But have since learned it to be true, both spiritually and medically!

The world we live in is black and white. To survive in such a world one must live in the gray.

I like that one. I try to live life in a detched way, watching life as if it were a film.

A rose can live amongst the thorns and yet never be injured by them; how about you?

Similar to the lotus flower rising out of the mud.

The world we live in is black and white. To survive in such a world one must live in the gray.

I like that one. I try to live life in a detched way, watching life as if it were a film.

A rose can live amongst the thorns and yet never be injured by them; how about you?

Similar to the lotus flower rising out of the mud.

I try, but it's not always easy. I look at those words as a reminder to see all side of life. Ya know, like the edge on the coin. It's hard when strong emotions get in the way.

Q:What is the sound of one hand clapping?

A:A smile

Sorry, can you explain that answer please bebop.

Sure! :o

When someone claps it's to show that they approve of whatever they are clapping for. So, one hand clapping would be silent approval. A smile is silent approval, unless you laugh to or something.

Sure! :o

When someone claps it's to show that they approve of whatever they are clapping for. So, one hand clapping would be silent approval. A smile is silent approval, unless you laugh to or something.

...and the sound of a smile is....?

Sure! :D

...and the sound of a smile is....?

Are you just having a go at me? :o

Because smiles are silent, unless you lose your dentures when you open your mouth, maybe not then.

:D Can you hear me now?

as our situation here becomes more and more polarized towards the 15th of august, i keep reminging myself of this but find that most people dont accept this as an appropriate attitude:

I try, but it's not always easy. I look at those words as a reminder to see all side of life. Ya know, like the edge on the coin. It's hard when strong emotions get in the way.
and yet an other one i like for our brother against brother situation now:
Buddha Sakayamuni:

"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present.". 

thats along the line of 'we made our bed, now we have to lie in it' tooo bad for us israelis now