Thought For The Day

Neeranam

and yet an other one i like for our brother against brother situation now:
Buddha Sakayamuni:

"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present.". 

thats along the line of 'we made our bed, now we have to lie in it' tooo bad for us israelis now

Well not quite. That would be true if karma where a static and an unchangeable entity.

However, the reverse is in fact true.

It's what we do now that is the most important thing to concentrate on.

Hence...if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future,

look at the causes that exist in the present.

How we act now determines our future. On both a personal and collective level.

as our situation here becomes more and more polarized towards the 15th of august, i keep reminging myself of this but find that most people dont accept this as an appropriate attitude:
I try, but it's not always easy. I look at those words as a reminder to see all side of life. Ya know, like the edge on the coin. It's hard when strong emotions get in the way.

and yet an other one i like for our brother against brother situation now:

Buddha Sakayamuni:

"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present.". 

thats along the line of 'we made our bed, now we have to lie in it' tooo bad for us israelis now

Too much pessimism.

The great lessons of the modern State of Israel are found within the teachings of Buddhism. How the tensions and dynamics of opposites have found solutions close to the middle ground:

• The two extremes of the resistance to the British Mandate united to create the State;

• Communism and Capitalism living alongside each other;

• The early years of the Social Democratic state that paradoxically allowed for the excesses of the occupation and the settlements.

• The later Likud controlled governments who signed the Camp David accords and gave back land to previous enemies.

• The hopes of the soldier of peace, Yitzhak Rabin, killed by the powers of darkness only to pave the way for the most right wing general.

• This General who will supervise the removal of these settlements and, I am convinced lead Israel into its first period of peace in the modern era.

The great lessons of the modern State of Israel are found within the teachings of Buddhism.

that would make some rabbis roll over in their graves :o:D

i just thought the quotes were applicable, and wanted to let the OP know that there are those of us that are reading but cant really respond to lists of quotes but appreciate them none the less....

• Like 1

The great lessons of the modern State of Israel are found within the teachings of Buddhism.

that would make some rabbis roll over in their graves :o:D

i just thought the quotes were applicable, and wanted to let the OP know that there are those of us that are reading but cant really respond to lists of quotes but appreciate them none the less....

There's a few of those old Rabbis could do with a bit of rockin' and rollin' or, at the very least, a smile and a bit of compassion.

And, just so I offend the rest - the new Pope could do with more than a fair share of the above, judging by his opinions on Israel.

Sometimes we force others to change because we want them to be how we want them to be.

This is a very good one. I feel it applies to every level of life.

I think this is pretty much the fundamental problem of humanity - that we try to control the world to make it how we want instead of changing our mind so that it is satisfied with how the world is.

If you get sore feet walking on rough ground, you don't try to coat the world with rubber, you just put on some rubber sandals. :o

• Like 2

Sometimes we force others to change because we want them to be how we want them to be.

This is a very good one. I feel it applies to every level of life.

I think this is pretty much the fundamental problem of humanity - that we try to control the world to make it how we want instead of changing our mind so that it is satisfied with how the world is.

If you get sore feet walking on rough ground, you don't try to coat the world with rubber, you just put on some rubber sandals. :o

Now that's a good thought, I like it.

• Like 1

• 14 years later...

"A person who is looking for something doesn't travel very fast".

Today, I am going to slow down by having 20 minutes for solitude and quiet(meditation). 

Often it is not the events in my life that bring change but the space between the events. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/31/2005 at 3:47 PM, camerata said:

No use howling at the wind ... better to rejig your sails.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2005 at 2:05 PM, Neeranam said:

Where there is no love, there cannot be peace. Where there is no purity, there cannot be love.

To me, generally love has strings attached.

I ioved her until I found her with another man

I loved Coke until I learned it is unhealthy to drink.

I prefer:

Metta (good will)

Karuna (compassion)

Mudita (Empathetic Joy.

These are unconditional.

9 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

To me, generally love has strings attached.

I ioved her until I found her with another man

I loved Coke until I learned it is unhealthy to drink.

I prefer:

Metta (good will)

Karuna (compassion)

Mudita (Empathetic Joy.

These are unconditional.

So 'ignorance is bliss' for you, reference to the 'love of' people/things.

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So 'ignorance is bliss' for you, reference to the 'love of' people/things.

If your love has strings attached, then lack of awareness might have a significant affect on the feelings you experience.

Edited by rockyysdt

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Which language are these words, Sanskrit?

In Thai,

Metta is 'Loving Kindness'

Karuna is 'Please'

Mudita I don't know.

These are from the "four immeasurables"

Metta (Pali) loving kindness or benevolence  (Sanskrit = Maitri)

Karuna (Pali & Sanskrit) compassion. The desire to remove hark & suffering.

Mudita (Pali & Sanskrit) joyous empathy - to feel another's pain as if it is yours.

Upekkha (Pali) equanimity ((Sanskrit = Upeksa) impartial serenity. Unshakeable evenness of mind.

Edited by rockyysdt

5 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

These are from the "four immeasurables"

Metta (Pali) loving kindness or benevolence  (Sanskrit = Maitri)

Karuna (Pali & Sanskrit) compassion. The desire to remove hark & suffering.

Mudita (Pali & Sanskrit) joyous empathy - to feel another's pain as if it is yours.

Upekkha (Pali) equanimity ((Sanskrit = Upeksa) impartial serenity. Unshakeable evenness of mind.

Thanks