The Origin Of Thailand’S Dual Pricing

PaulUSA302

The argument in favour of dual pricing, is that the Goverment has already spent a large ammount of money on developing various sites. The people of Thailand are basically the owners, and have already paid through taxes etc. Therefore they are entitled to a discount.

This type of thinking, is normal in many countries. See ticket prices for Uffizi Gallery in Florence for example.

If you have a work permit or Thai driving licence, and show this when paying, you will usually be charged Thai price.

Privately developed attractions are not supposed to have two-tier pricing, and most do not.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Privately developed attractions are not supposed to have two-tier pricing, and most do not.

Many of the western owned attractions do.

Like the Australian owned and managed Ocean World for example.

Bloody racist Westerners. :rolleyes:

Edited by thomo

The argument in favour of dual pricing, is that the Goverment has already spent a large ammount of money on developing various sites. The people of Thailand are basically the owners, and have already paid through taxes etc. Therefore they are entitled to a discount.

This type of thinking, is normal in many countries. See ticket prices for Uffizi Gallery in Florence for example.

If you have a work permit or Thai driving licence, and show this when paying, you will usually be charged Thai price.

I do not agree that a work permit or Thai driving license, speaking Thai, smiling, going with a group of Thais, or anything else will usually get you in for the Thai price. I would say that it sometimes gets you the Thai price. It is totally unpredictable. This unpredictability can be more frustrating for some people that it is for others. It doesn't matter that I pay 100,000 bt/year in income tax. Whether I pay the foreigner or Thai price is at the whim of the person at the gate.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

For Thai public attractions I don't mind the dual pricing, since I am not a resident or taxpayer

What really frosts my b.... is private companies that feel they have the right to discriminate (yes, discriminate )

One poster already mentioned Ocean World in Pattaya, another that readily comes to mind is Mini Siam both of which I refuse to patronize

All these replies, and, finally, someone who gets it. Dual pricing almost is always related to the payment of taxes. Thais pay taxes, most foreigners don't. Often, I can get the Thai rate by showing my work permit.

In Hawaii, I paid low rates at public golf courses, while tourists paid six to eight times as much in green fees. I paid my taxes to the state government. The tourists didn't. Those taxes go to the development, construction and maintenance of those golf courses.

And those private companies also pay taxes which goes for construction of roads, and the building of infrastructure. I don't visit or patronize any tourist traps anywhere in the world. If you choose to go to a tourist trap, expect to pay tourist prices.

I went to a waterfall in Kanchanaburi that had dual prices advertised. I was ready to pay the farang price when the guy on the gate asked if I had Thai driver's licence (drive through gate) - I would only need to pay the Thai price.

Unfortunately I didn't, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I do not agree that a work permit or Thai driving license, speaking Thai, smiling, going with a group of Thais, or anything else will usually get you in for the Thai price. I would say that it sometimes gets you the Thai price. It is totally unpredictable. This unpredictability can be more frustrating for some people that it is for others. It doesn't matter that I pay 100,000 bt/year in income tax. Whether I pay the foreigner or Thai price is at the whim of the person at the gate.

Since I obtained my Thai driving Licence I have always paid Thai price, never any question.

Whenever I go somewhere with dual pricing, I put my DL on the desk with the correct Thai admission fee.

When I am with another white person, I am usually asked if they want to pay the Thai price too.

Pretty much only go to national parks though.

All these replies, and, finally, someone who gets it. Dual pricing almost is always related to the payment of taxes. Thais pay taxes, most foreigners don't. Often, I can get the Thai rate by showing my work permit.

I don't seem to know any Thais that pay tax, but I know plenty who don't. Maybe they should start issuing cards to those who pay tax, instead of making assumptions about people with white skin.

Edited by sarahsbloke

"One exception should be the big forest reserves, like Khao Yai and Doi Inthanon. For these, it is necessary to charge high prices to reduce the number of visitors, or else the forests will be ruined for ever. "

A couple of years ago I was driving a car load of kids and kin from Pak Chong to Trat and had to pay the falung entry fee to drive through Khao Yai.

Never even got out of the car. :ph34r:

Dual prices usually have more to do with what the buyer is willing to pay than any perception of income differences. Some examples: matinees versus evening theater showings, lunch versus dinner, and staying over a Saturday night on airline travel. Any business that can segment a market and charge two prices is going to do it. It is annoying to be in the wrong segment, but it happens everywhere.

Edited by Pacificperson

Dual prices usually have more to do with what the buyer is willing to pay than any perception of income differences. Some examples: matinees versus evening theater showings, lunch versus dinner, and staying over a Saturday night on airline travel. Any business that can segment a market and charge two prices is going to do it. It is annoying to be in the wrong segment, but it happens everywhere.

I don't think your examples are relevant to the dual pricing subject in Thailand as matinees, lunch specials etc are charged equally to all people and not segmented by nationality or looks.

TheWalkingMan

How about the Bangkok night life market? There are at least four segments: the Thai segment, the western tourist segment, the Japanese segment and the "big face" business segment. Again nothing more than the differences in willingness to pay being exploited to maximize profits.

I can live with that :)

I cant believe that people make a big deal about dual pricing. Look at the GDP per person in a western country and then look at the GDP per of Thailand. Don't you think it is fair to charge the rich person more then the poor person ? Even though the Thai's don't realize that allot of western people are really just debt poor, that was not the way it used to be.

As the BHT appreciates(standard of living for Thai's goes up) then dual pricing will be phased out slowly.

I guess all the economists in Switzerland are dummies. Cause every time the Swiss Franc starts to go up they sell Francs to keep it low.

If the Baht goes up the Thai economy will tank. Perhaps you should reevaluate your thoughts.

How about the Bangkok night life market? There are at least four segments: the Thai segment, the western tourist segment, the Japanese segment and the "big face" business segment. Again nothing more than the differences in willingness to pay being exploited to maximize profits.

There's certainly a difference between the number of times around the block and overall mileage in various segments. Of course I mean taxis.

:)

What about it? All you are saying is that in a section of Bangkok there are various prices, for the same goods/services, charged to different people. The charges are done because they cannot pass for a national. That is what people are complaining about.

TheWalkingMan

Nobody likes being on the high price end of the stick. I don't like it when I am in Hawaii and don't get Kamaaina rates, when I'm in Manila and the taxi driver pushes the little button on his meter and it starts spinning like a top or when I'm in an airplane having paid three times the fare of the guy sitting next to me. All I'm saying is that its economics and not racism.

If you know how much stuff costs then there is never a problem of dual pricing. You ask how much something costs in Thai, you get an answer, it is either the appropriate price or you walk away. This applies to everything and anything.

All these replies, and, finally, someone who gets it. Dual pricing almost is always related to the payment of taxes. Thais pay taxes, most foreigners don't.

Actually the average Thai doesn't. As the average Thai salary is below the 150,000b p/a tax threshold.

The average Thai is too poor to pay tax.

Where Thailand gets it wrong is to charge the inflated fees for entry to very minor attractions (e.g. waterfalls). I don't think any tourist minds paying to see the really important/spectacular sites; what they hate is to pay for seeing a trickle of water falling a few feet. The problem is, Thailand has very few major attractions.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. Most of the "waterfalls" that are charged for entrance to visit in Thailand would be better described as cascades. It seems odd to me that you pay anything at all to visit such minor attractions! Yes I can get the Thai price, no problem, but visiting family and friends cannot and to be honest it's pretty embarassing to have them pay so much to go and see a trickle falling down a mountainside... Hence, I tend to avoid taking them to such places, giving them zero income from us!

PS the Queen Sirikit botanical gardens near to Chiang Mai has now introduced dual pricing since the start of the year. Oh well, one more place that I won't be visiting again... When I went recently with visiting friends to see that they had changed their pricing policy it actually made me quite angry... There was no bugger there except for us (I wouldn't recommend it, by the way!). We bought food and drinks at the restaraunt and spent quite a lot in the gift shop. These are things that most Thais wouldn't do, but we have to pay more to enter as well - sod it, vote with my feet in future.. arghhhh....

I don't think your examples are relevant to the dual pricing subject in Thailand as matinees, lunch specials etc are charged equally to all people and not segmented by nationality or looks.

TheWalkingMan

Yes the guy obviously doesn't understand the concept. It would be dual pricing if 2 people going to the same matinee paying different prices based on some criteria. I don't mind discounts for over 65 and stuff like that but here its just plain racism.

Then you got the pink glasses brigade stating the ones who don't like it are bitter. I am actually quite happy here but there are always certain points that people dislike. This is one of them.

Then you got the pink glasses brigade stating the ones who don't like it are bitter. I am actually quite happy here but there are always certain points that people dislike. This is one of them.

You sound bitter. Who cares if a Waterfall costs 200 baht instead of 100 baht?

Dual Pricing for Public Parks exists everywhere.

I cant believe that people make a big deal about dual pricing. Look at the GDP per person in a western country and then look at the GDP per of Thailand. Don't you think it is fair to charge the rich person more then the poor person ?

It's got nothing to do with the GDP of your country of origin. It's totally racist, and prevalent in many Asian countries.

Do you think it's fair that the rich amatya get into the waterfall for 20 baht, when I, without any of their financial resources, am charged 200?

You and I are not our originating country's GDP. We have individual incomes and resources, as Thais do.

So perhaps charges for the parks and museums should be based on some kind of income statement?

Or maybe be truly fair and charge the same for everyone!

Yes I think it is totally fair that you got charged more. In fact it would be unfair if you didnt get charged more.

The higher price is just to even it so that you are paying an equal percentage of your disposable income as the Thai. 20 bht is less then one US dollar, which is nothing for you right ? But 200 bht is something, its around 6 US dollars. Do you think 20 Bht is nothing to a Thai ? Probably not, its probably what 6 US dollars is to you. So in that case, both people are getting charged an equal amount of disposable income,at least that is what they are trying to do.

And who do you think has greater disposable income - me, or Khunying Potjamun for example, or a member of the Charoen family, or pretty much any Thai politician, or ....

Why bother going on? You're the one who should be charged a massive amount because you clearly have the disposable thought processes.

You sound bitter. Who cares if a Waterfall costs 200 baht instead of 100 baht?

Dual Pricing for Public Parks exists everywhere.

You sound like a short timer who still sees this country through a newbie's eyes. Its not the price that does it but more the idea and racism behind it. Anyway i could not care much about the waterfall i care more about the fishing pond that charges a farang 1000 bt and a thai 400 bt that makes things a bit differently. Also i would get annoyed if i pay for the same ice cream double that of a thai and yes that happens. That is just racism.

Someone who is here for only 2 weeks is not going to go all the way out to the entrance of a park and then turn around because it costs 100 baht more to get in. That is the nature of dual pricing. It is simply supply and demand and how many tickets I can sell at this price vs that price. If I can sell 100 tickets at 200 baht and 175 tickets at 100 baht, I will sell them for 200 baht each. There is no racism involved.

You do know that Bangkok Thais get over charged when they go travel in Thailand too, right?

I get into places at the Thai price by showing my DL or just talking/BS to who ever is on the door but if that dosnt work simply....WALK AWAY.....

Never been to Mini Siam or Croc farm (just round corner from Bann in Samut P)or the "rippis" in Pattaya ...and as far as I am concerned until they change the policy then to use a good old fasion angrit expression ...they can stick them up their proverbial.... :annoyed:

Maybe change one day but lifes too short to worry about it any more.....Welcome to rip off T-land and all that ....thats why they smile so much...init :D:D:D

I get into places at the Thai price by showing my DL or just talking/BS to who ever is on the door but if that dosnt work simply....WALK AWAY.....

Never been to Mini Siam or Croc farm (just round corner from Bann in Samut P)or the "rippis" in Pattaya ...and as far as I am concerned until they change the policy then to use a good old fasion angrit expression ...they can stick them up their proverbial.... :annoyed:

Maybe change one day but lifes too short to worry about it any more.....Welcome to rip off T-land and all that ....thats why they smile so much...init :D:D:D

It's only the rip off Thailand if you are hard up for money. I love the life style I lead in Thailand. This is very much a service orientated country.

What is really disgusting is that wealthy Thais are charged taxes while poor Thais are not. This is the worst kind of racism imaginable because it is Thai against Thai racism. The Wealthy Thais are robbed and their funds are used to pay for various services for the Poor Thais. Come to think about it, this terrible racism exists in quite a few places. Government condoned racism. Sickening!