The Origin Of Thailand’S Dual Pricing

PaulUSA302

Double pricing is cool by me.

"There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase often credited to P. T. Barnum (1810–1891), an American showman It is generally taken to mean that there are (and always will be) a lot of gullible people in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's sucker_born_every_minute

That sucker is the guy that is charging somebody that makes $30,000 a year the same as somebody that makes $3000

????

So if I charge 25 baht for rad na in my roadside stall, and I am happy with my margin, I am a sucker if I don't charge your $30,000 person 250 baht?

Now I happen to know a rad na restaurant who charges 250 baht and caters to the more moneyed crowd. But they used high-end ingredients.  I can't see the lady with the rad na stand outside my home charging more for me or anyone else who lives in my neighborhood than the taxi drivers who hang around.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you think they charge more because they hate white people ?

They usually do not charge Asians the higher prices - even if they can not speak Thai, so, yes, the ripoff prices are often based on race. :bah:

It has been pointed out that they charge Japanese more. I wonder why ???? could it because its the worlds second biggest economy ????

Agreed that racism, as it is widely understood, is an inappropriate term. "Cultural discrimination" or "Nationality discrimination" might be more accurate. But pretty much everyone understands the issue, and falling back to word usage, while maybe technically correct, is rather pedantic.

I have met a number of Japanese - who speak little Thai - that say they are not charged the higher rates at government-run tourist attractions. I have met very few farangs who say the same thing.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I am wondering how this works with Indians? I would think if an Indian found out he was paying more than anyone else for anything he would go mental. Generally Indians take pride in being able to pay less for everything than anyone else. I have a good friend who is Indian and whenever I need anything I always contact him first as he can usually obtain the goods/services for less than I can!

I am wondering how this works with Indians? I would think if an Indian found out he was paying more than anyone else for anything he would go mental. Generally Indians take pride in being able to pay less for everything than anyone else. I have a good friend who is Indian and whenever I need anything I always contact him first as he can usually obtain the goods/services for less than I can!

IME they take it in stride. They bargain as much as they can and walk away if need be. You know, like people who wound up too tight.

:)

I cannot argue with someone over 20 baht. After awhile you get to know the prices for most things. The sellers can be very clever, and I can respect that. However, I see people negotiating with sellers over nothing. Everybody has to live. I once was trying to but one of those fold-uo scissors. The first shop asked for 125 baht. I just looked at her, and proceeded to walk a block and got one for 25 baht. Of coures, on my way back, I had to show her what I got, and tell her 25 baht. Usually, they know what they can get away with.