Dull As Ditchwater

inthepink

"MOVE.... (but difficult to do without losing my partner)"

If your partner can not give you the reasons to stay in Chiang Mai then you should be free to go, if they can give you good reasons then you have no need to ask the forum for reasons.

You want too many conveniences/things for too little money to be happy in Chiang Mai. The happy people here accept that all the conveniences/things are not available and that some cost more but those issues are not significant to them and many can be worked around with a little effort. Chiang Mai is not push button, part of the charm is having to put a little effort into life.

There are a lot of younger people here (see BB's pole) who are very happy with Chiang Mai and a lot of older ones who are younger than you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't understand everyones need to give this guy a roasting!

Maybe because we have all been to Bangkok and see little truth in his observations. :ermm:

Please point out one observation that I have made about Bangkok that you see little truth in. As far as I recall I said there were bigger and better bookshops, more cinemas showing a greater variety of English language films, cheaper taxis, many more decent restaurants and a much larger international airport. If you see little truth in any of those statements then I can only suggest that if you find yourself in Bangkok again that you don't walk around with a bag on your head as you must have done previously.

Just to clarify, I don't particularly care what sort of airport there is in Chiang Mai, I was just answering somebody else's post when I said that. Also, I never expected CM to be able to compete with BKK in any of these areas but mentioned them in response to a question about what Bangkok has to offer that CM doesn't.

@Bill97 - Sorry, I don't understand your comment about wanting too many conveniences for too little money. Are you suggesting that you think 20 baht a kilometre is a reasonable price to pay for a taxi, anywhere in Thailand?

Regarding my partner, she does give me enough reasons to stay here or I would have left already. That doesn't mean that I'm not interested in finding pleasurable ways of passing the time whilst I'm here, which was why I posted in the first place.

Edited by inthepink

inthepink.

re ... I was not referring to residents but the kind of sandal-wearing tourists with dreadlocks who do not seem to have bathing facilities wherever they are staying and tend to wander around the moated area of town. I would be very surprised if nobody else has spotted them.

i did ..... he was about 30 ish but not wearing sandals .... : (

enjoy pics .... dave2

post-42592-040176800 1278866568_thumb.jp

post-42592-061459200 1278866616_thumb.jp

In the pink

I am one who suggested that maybe you had no rite to comment on living in Chiang Mai as you live 30 Kilometers out of town. I stand by that observation.

Granted you have visited Chiang Mai but that is nothing like living here. I stand by what I said before if you were to move into Chiang Mia you might come to like it. But living where you do you can only surmise.

I could write the same post you did about Nakhon Si Thammarat. But I do not feel quantified to make such a statement. I have only visited there.

I could also make a negative statement about living 30 kilometers out of town but I have only driven through it so I am not qualified. I will admit the prospect of living in either one does not appeal to me and I like you are here because of a women. Given a choice I would prefer Cha-am. I like the beach. But I can't at this moment and I do enjoy life here.:jap:

As for the Khao San road rejects, the actual Khao San Road is in Bangkok, so what does this tell you?

It doesn't tell me anything. It tells you that I think the people I have seen walking around the moat are so dirty and dishevelled that they would look bad even in somewhere like Kao San road.

Also, if I am one of the retired guys waiting to die, I would rather wait here than in Bangkok. Although in Bangkok you probably won't have to wait quite as long.
I don't have any statistics to hand on the life expectancy of foreigners in CM compared to those in BKK, although I suspect that fewer people die of boredom in Bangkok :P

In the pink

I am one who suggested that maybe you had no rite to comment on living in Chiang Mai as you live 30 Kilometers out of town. I stand by that observation.

Granted you have visited Chiang Mai but that is nothing like living here. I stand by what I said before if you were to move into Chiang Mia you might come to like it. But living where you do you can only surmise.

I could write the same post you did about Nakhon Si Thammarat. But I do not feel quantified to make such a statement. I have only visited there.

I could also make a negative statement about living 30 kilometers out of town but I have only driven through it so I am not qualified. I will admit the prospect of living in either one does not appeal to me and I like you are here because of a women. Given a choice I would prefer Cha-am. I like the beach. But I can't at this moment and I do enjoy life here.:jap:

I'm sure you are right that I would find life a lot better if I tried living in town and I intend to. We'll have to disagree about my right to comment on CM though. I don't just drive through it, I have to go shopping there and if I go out for the evening then it is in CM town. I've only been here a few months so I would estimate I have been to town about 50-100 times which I think is enough to form some sort of opinion.

Talking of Cha-am, I had the chance to move to Hua Hin at the beginning of the year but owing to my problems with small towns I didn't think it would be wise....although the beach does make a difference.

Edited by inthepink

inthepink.

re ... I was not referring to residents but the kind of sandal-wearing tourists with dreadlocks who do not seem to have bathing facilities wherever they are staying and tend to wander around the moated area of town. I would be very surprised if nobody else has spotted them.

i did ..... he was about 30 ish but not wearing sandals .... : (

enjoy pics .... dave2

Don't be mistaken, though. In some realms that guy will be much more of a superhero than you'll ever be in any realm...

\

Perhaps if you described what you consider to be "great place to live"' date=' someone could tell you if any of it can be found in Chiang Mai.[/quote']

I thought that was obvious - Bangkok...

If your idea of a good place to live is Bangkok or some other major city, then obviously 30 km outside of Chiang Mai is the wrong place for you.

BTW, there are backpackers and expats all over Thailand with no regard towards appearance, hygiene or local culture. They may be more obvious in Chiang Mai than Bangkok, but that's because in Bangkok, outside of Kao Sarn Road, the number of locals and more intelligent foreigners dilute their visibility.

\

Perhaps if you described what you consider to be "great place to live"' date=' someone could tell you if any of it can be found in Chiang Mai.[/quote']

I thought that was obvious - Bangkok...

If your idea of a good place to live is Bangkok or some other major city, then obviously 30 km outside of Chiang Mai is the wrong place for you.

BTW, there are backpackers and expats all over Thailand with no regard towards appearance, hygiene or local culture. They may be more obvious in Chiang Mai than Bangkok, but that's because in Bangkok, outside of Kao Sarn Road, the number of locals and more intelligent foreigners dilute their visibility.

Exactly

You complain about the price of tuk tuks, but I have seen hovels in Bangkok not fit for a dog which cost more than a new 3 bedroom house here.

That's a bit of a silly comment and one you could make about any capital city in any country.

I have to agree with the posters who "roasted" the OP.

First, he admitted he flamed us to solicit a response. Second, he doesn't live in Chiang Mai. he lives in Mae Rim. It's actually much less than 30kms, but a world apart.

But, if he wants to know what to do in northern Thailand, here's how I spend my day:

Go for a bike ride with friends (you might want to find friends with motorbikes)

Go hiking

Play with the dogs

Do some gardening

Try a new restaurant if I don't want to go to one of the 25-30 I usually go to

Play with the dogs again

Except for the restaurants, which are much more expensive there, I can't do any of that in bangkok. For me, after several visits, Bangkok is just a place to change planes. In fact, the last time I was there I had a 12 hour layover and didn't think it was worth leaving the airport.

Maybe because we have all been to Bangkok and see little truth in his observations. :ermm:

Please point out one observation that I have made about Bangkok that you see little truth in.

OK, but I can do a little better than one incorrect observation.

That Chiang Mai is "dull". = There are plenty of things to do and see here and much more conveniently and cheaper than Bangkok. Some of them have been pointed out earlier in this very thread.

That the nightlife is "dismal". = It is not Bangkok or Pattaya, but the nightlife here is much better than most places in Thailand or many places overseas and much cheaper.

No "decent" bookshops. = There are plenty.

Western food products are "more expensive". = Perhaps some imported items are slightly more, because they have to be shipped up here, but medium priced Western restaurants tend to be much cheaper and better than similar places in Bangkok with very few places adding tax and service charge on to the bill. Butter is Better has better bakery products than any I have seen in Bangkok and they are less expensive as well. A good Western breakfast for a reasonable price is much easier to find in Chiang Mai and much more convenient to get to. It is also MUCH easier to get good cheap Thai food in comfortable surroundings.

Of course we can not forget that the superior weather and traffic is worth a mention and that it is easy for Westerners to walk around or ride a bicycle or motorcycle which is not suggested in Bangkok. Also, taxis may be more expensive here, but local songteaws are much cheaper than most transportation in Bangkok.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Please point out one observation that I have made about Bangkok that you see little truth in.

OK, but I can do a little better than one incorrect observation.

That Chiang Mai is "dull". = There are plenty of things to do and see here and much more conveniently and cheaper than Bangkok. Some of them have been pointed out earlier in this very thread.

That the nightlife is "dismal". = It is not Bangkok or Pattaya, but the nightlife here is much better than most places in Thailand or many places overseas and much cheaper.

No "decent" bookshops. = There are plenty.

Western food products are "more expensive". = Perhaps some imported items are slightly more, because they have to be shipped up here, but medium priced Western restaurants tend to be much cheaper and better than similar places in Bangkok with very few places adding tax and service charge on to the bill. Butter is Better has better bakery products than any I have seen in Bangkok and they are less expensive as well. A good Western breakfast for a reasonable price is much easier to find in Chiang Mai and much more convenient to get to. It is also MUCH easier to get good cheap Thai food in comfortable surroundings.

Of course we can not forget that the superior weather and traffic is worth a mention and that it is easy for Westerners to walk around or ride a bicycle or motorcycle which is not suggested in Bangkok. Also, taxis may be more expensive here, but local songteaws are much cheaper than most transportation in Bangkok.

You mentioned that a good western breakfast is easier to find in Chiang Mai. The reality is every thing is easier to find. Bangkok is so big a person could spend weeks looking for something. It most certanly is not a small town. And then when he finds spend a hour and a half to get to it.

By the way did inthepink mention if he lived in Bangkok or 30 kilometers out.

I think the problem is you don't have any friends.

You need to meet some other like-minded people.

CM is a great place to be

For example, last night met up with some friends in a friends bar (free food), she sat with us and flirted for a while, beat her niece (very pretty) at pool, beat my pal at pool.

Then off to star 6 to see the 11pm 'show', all very tasteful (wife out-of-town so a bit of freedom), then back home (20km on a m/c) when one of the girls got a little too tempting (run away).

Getting teased by much younger girls, playing pool and getting a little drunk ......... perfect evening (total cost 250bht + petrol)

Book shops?? plenty around but I prefer to download from the internet.

What exactly do you want to do? (that is in BK and not here)

I can assure you CM has plenty of girly bars, soapy massage places and whorehouses ....... if that is what you want.

Edited by sarahsbloke

To me inthepink sounds like a big city person. And then when moving to the country side can come as shock. He's not the first, and will not be the last, who has (initial) problems with that.

Some city people can't sleep at night in teh country because it's too quiet or the roosters/crickets/frogs/toads/night owl/etc make too much noise, and some country people can't sleep in the city because it's too noisy, as just one example. Some will adapt to their new life and some don't. C'est la vie.

At least he's willing to give it a good try, otherwise he wouldn't have posted.

Sarahsbloke got a valid point about not having (several) friends yet. It's very possible that after the OP has made his own circle that life becomes easier and more enjoyable in and around CM, and the small things (like over-priced taxi's or marmite) will be taken for granted or a locally reliable red taxi will be found that can be called when needed and marmite brought in from BKK on the occasional visit there.

How to find friends? For a start: have a look around the several bars/pubs/restaurant where you can find people aged between 20 and 70+ (Tuskers, The Wat, O'Malleys, UN Irish Pub, PunPun, The Olde Bell, just to name a few), join CM Toy Ride, look on the CM Expat Clubs website for the several Clubs and try them out, CM Expat Club itself, CM Friends Group, there are sports clubs/gettogethers (foot ball, tennis, cricket, squas [or something like that ;)] search the forum for that or ask where on this forum), there are galleries you can visit (see for when and where Citylife and CM mail and/or join there facebook pages) and join facebook if you haven't done that already.

There must be more activities and possibilities where to find like-minded people. I'm not the best person to ask as I hardly have the time to go to any of these activities, leave alone on a reliable basis. But maybe/hopefully others can add.

And like what I said before if a tipsy night out occurs rent a room for the night/morning, or get a red taxi or ask the partner to drive provided she hasn't been drinking.

Anyway, forgot to say in my former post:

OP: Welcome to CM and good luck in finding your way around! :jap:

If I wouldn't have my work I also would be bored stiff, but that has not much to do with a city or country life. :)

Edited by Nienke

He's obviously been living in a place where he was very happy and for reasons he does not want to mention has had to come to Chiang Mai. This person probably hasn't seen a great deal of what there is on offer for things to do etc.

he has then asked questions about how so many people love to live here and been pretty much shot down in flames. I just don't get the "if you don't like it then go back to where you came from mentality".

Suggest you re-read the inflammatory op.

If he has had a roasting - which he hasn't by the way - it would be rightfully called for. It's one thing to ask what is the big deal of a place if one has already experienced all there is to offer, but to come up here and make judgements on folk and say your home is dull when one clearly hasn't a clue is out of order.

This person probably hasn't seen a great deal of what there is on offer for things to do etc.

Then enquire first as opposed to knocking everything - have some bloody manners!

I think what OP is saying is he really does not like Thailand. he likes Bangkok, which is not really Thailand. It is just located here. Inthe pink really wants to live in Europe or someplace, not here. I believe no one who really loves Thailand would be bored in Chiang Mai. He is like an American neighbor of mine, I think. This guy eats only western food, has only American friends, and spends most of his day talking to friends from America on skype calls and e-mails. Then at night he goes to Starbuck's and visits more American friends. He knows nothing of Thailand and its people and does not wish to. I joke with the guy sometimes that he has not really left America. He just found a cheaper way to live there. I think OP is much the same. Also, OP says he is here through no fault of his own, and is here against his will. It turns out he is only here because of girlfriend. This is the OPs choice. Regardless of girlfriend's wishes, Int eh pink, I say either grow some b_ _ ls and move out or stop whining and make the best of it.