Paedophilic Internet Cafe Scam Investigated In Pattaya

Rimmer

Paedophilic Internet Cafe scam investigated in Pattaya

gallery_327_1086_94262.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Following the high profile arrest of Mr. Mikhail Pletnev, the internationally renowned Russian musician, Pattaya Children & Woman Protection Center revealed the discovery of an intricate network of paedophiles operating in Pattaya.

Pattaya, the 9th of July 2010 [PDN]: At approximately 1:00pm on Friday, Mr. Supphakorn Noja (Pattaya Welfare Protection & Child Development Center Director) revealed the successful discovery of a network of paedophiles operating through various “front” internet café businesses. Investigators have since obtained a statement from a victim of the alleged scam, who revealed that the operation involved largely foreign clients with Thai men acting as intermediaries.

Mr. Noja explained that the Children & Woman Protection Center investigating the cases of Mr. Traiphop Bunphasong and Mr. Mikhail Pletnev, uncovered a network of paedophiles that had been deceiving young children into committing indecent acts having innocently used various internet cafés for gaming purposes.

Allegedly, the children would come to use the internet cafes, often unlicensed, for gaming purposes. Upon spending their money, the children would become indebted to the café operator and offered the chance to clear the debt by performing indecent, sexual acts, with largely foreign clients. Photographs and videos of the incidents would then be uploaded onto the internet and the child would either pay the debt and leave or continue working to earn more money to fund their gaming.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

-- 2010-07-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

General warning - Please read before you post

We let this topic stay open for serious and civil discussion.

Be aware the persons mentioned in this article have not yet been tried by a Court of Law.

We will not tolerate:

- hang 'em high posts

- flames, racist comments or insults

If posters cannot follow these restrictions then the topic will be closed immediately and all members in violation of these restrictions will earn an immediate suspension.

Thank you for your cooperation

The predators that go after these kids will use any tactic to do it.

It used to be candy or toys to play with and then withdrawn,

to be returned in exchange for 'a favor,... but parents and kids are sharper now.

In debt for a gaming addiction, that they helped create, seems too easy a scam to pull.

Surprised it isn't more prevalent, or maybe it is and this is just the tip of an iceberg.

All in all it is a most repellent aspect of the class 'human being',

Immorality coupled to greed hitting a new low it seems.

So sad. Hope the nail those involved one and all.

Edited by animatic

It sets my teeth on edge, reading this sort of thing.

Firstly, because it's despicable. Second, because the classic perpetrator is typically a middle-aged white male, and I fit that profile. Compounding that, I am the father of young children (got a late start), so I can't walk around Patts without getting the occasional glare. I think you get my point.

While I loathe the criminals who seek out this sort of vile crap, I'm equally hateful of those who enable it. If you're guilty, I hope you get all that you deserve.

I wish all the luck in the world to these folks who are trying to do justice, where and when they can.

• Like 1

Maybe they really do need a morality campaign to limit the use of gaming cafes by Thai youth. Before I just thought it was their minds that were at risk; this story shows a whole new can of worms. It has the ring of truth to it as well, somehow.

Edited by Jingthing

Why is this kind of thing discovered after the event? Surely someone must have felt some kind of suspicion about how the internet cafes were operating with young children hanging around in there for extended periods of time?

It's quite simple in my view, any place where children hang out, apart from school and their home proximity, should periodically be checked by an official experienced in sex crimes. For example internet cafes, Karaoke centres, clubs, scouts etc.

In several countries there is a system whereby any business or organisation that has contact with children must have police checks carried out on any member of staff who may be in contact with children. It is insufficient to say "it won't work here because.........". It must be made to work. End of.

Right, climbing down off my rather high horse now.

Edited by mikearmstrong

It points always to the same direction.... the police.

Do I read "illegal internet café’s"? Isn't that the police's job to check? I am sure there is much more to this story however, we will never know. My guess is that they were suddenly confronted with too big of a fish. The next day, that fish was free on bail already while he had to stay in Thailand. Nevertheless, he booked a flight and left the country immediately.

Amazing immigration. Amazing police.

The M.O. is an old one: Get someone into debt and then the person has to do something to pay off the debt or feed the addiction. After the first few forays into the coerced acts the subject compartmentalizes and becomes psychologically immune to the activities. However, the unpleasantness percolates and incubates. After a period of time, it erupts into manifestations of violence and other anti-social behaviors.Perhaps now, people who complain about the need to try and put a lid on prostitution and drugs, will appreciate why resources are expended on that activity. In plain English, hook someone on a debt or on drugs and they become yours to use and abuse. That is why the selling of illegal drugs to vulnerable people and prostitution are not "victimless" crimes. The people that take advantage of such vulnerable people are scum and no different than the slave owners of yore. Good on the authorities for acting. Better late than never.

ed. Annoying symbols and stuff that gets tossed into the entries.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

It points always to the same direction.... the police.

Do I read "illegal internet café’s"? Isn't that the police's job to check? I am sure there is much more to this story however, we will never know. My guess is that they were suddenly confronted with too big of a fish. The next day, that fish was free on bail already while he had to stay in Thailand. Nevertheless, he booked a flight and left the country immediately.

Amazing immigration. Amazing police.

I think you will find that the police are on the take allowing illegal internet cafe,s to opperate and also on the take for allowing them to use pirate (illegal) copys of games-MS windows,

I assumed everybody living here knew that.

I am so glad to hear that more and more people are getting arrested and finally BIB is going after the root of the problem.

Foreigners always need a local to help them find the pray. Once the roots are taken out, hopefully it will be a much better and safer place for the kids

More good news from Pattaya! Well at least someone is trying to stop these predatory scum. I thought there was a new police commander that was going to clean up Pattaya and there is a new an Interpol office there as well. But it takes the "Pattaya Welfare Protection & Child Development Center" to figure this out? A day or two after the rich connected Russian linked to the whole thing leaves the country on bail. What is really going on there? annoyed.gif

Wow, that's sounds like something out of a Dicken's novel if there were internet/gaming cafes in his time.

It's a bit more sinister than that!

Granted, but lots in common.

Waifs. Children exploited. Children abused. Children coerced into adult "work" because of their poverty. Also kind of reminds me of crack whores, as these kids have become addicted to the games and have lost all perspective if they ever had any to begin with. Of course, they are being victimized, but if they had good parents they probably wouldn't have found themselves in these environments of victimization to begin with.

Why is this kind of thing discovered after the event? Surely someone must have felt some kind of suspicion about how the internet cafes were operating with young children hanging around in there for extended periods of time? I've seen so many internet / gaming shops in Thailand just full of kids and never once did I think or feel any think suspicious could be going on. "They're just kids playing" thinks I...

It's quite simple in my view, any place where children hang out, apart from school and their home proximity, should periodically be checked by an official experienced in sex crimes. For example internet cafes, Karaoke centres, clubs, scouts etc.

In several countries there is a system whereby any business or organisation that has contact with children must have police checks carried out on any member of staff who may be in contact with children. It is insufficient to say "it won't work here because.........". It must be made to work. End of. Much easier said than done - you seem to forget that this is a "developing" country and doesn't always have the financial capacity, qualified resources or know-how to implement a control system like this. Plus you'd have the added problem of corruption - the police checking such establishments would probably just hold out their hand and look the other way... so we'd be back to square one again - unfortunately.

Anyone taking bets on the Russians return to face the court. O forgot betting illigal

I have offered another poster on an earlier thread to donate Bt. 3,000 to charity if he does NOT return. If he DOES, then the other party pays Bt. 3,000 to charity. If you're on, I'll take you on the same terms.

Why is this kind of thing discovered after the event? Surely someone must have felt some kind of suspicion about how the internet cafes were operating with young children hanging around in there for extended periods of time?

In several countries there is a system whereby any business or organisation that has contact with children must have police checks carried out on any member of staff who may be in contact with children. It is insufficient to say "it won't work here because.........". It must be made to work. End of.

You'e on the right horse! As another poster has mentioned, the police may not be as lily-white as they should be. But what also surprises me is: with so many kids seemingly involved, how is that not one spills the beans? I can understand not going to the police, but family members, friends?

Illegal cafe's yea right. Cops have this game so sewn up it's not even funny. Scamming bars for "music licenses".

I recall Jeremy I think his name was, had his bookshop on soi Bukhao many, many years back. Started an internet cafe. The computers, not even hooked up yet. Cops came in and fined him for not having lisc's for the computers. So, to think that these places are not watched closely.

My hunch is that there are (were) young men working in the shops that would solicit the kids. Hey, if you want extra monee...Thats when they get on the phone and call the uncle creepycrawlee network.

All these "rings" almost always involve - boys.

Pattaya, just gets worse and worse. But then again, this is pretty standard stuff for Pattaya.

All these "rings" almost always involve - boys. Pattaya, just gets worse and worse. But then again, this is pretty standard stuff for Pattaya.

Never really thought about it till now, but when I pass internet cafes in Thailand, it's almost always boys I see playing on the computers. I took this as a sort of young macho thing. I do hope this case is not as widespread as I fear it might be

Edited by Wozzit

What a horrible story. I hope it turns out to be false.

Charities (NGOs), perhaps like the Women and Children's crisis center, or whatever it is called, are mostly scams. They exist to bring cash to their organisers and generally keep weepy middle class liberals employed. They have to invent, or dramatise, stories in order to keep their funds rolling in. Men can't defend themselves against this sort of allegation, so they are easy targets.

I would perfer that the whole thing turned out to be a set up, rather than this story at face value. It seems very unlikely that this "ring" could run successfully for any time. People jabber, after all. Kids love to talk, and don't keep confidences that their friends have emparted.

That is why the selling of illegal drugs to vulnerable people and prostitution are not "victimless" crimes. The people that take advantage of such vulnerable people are scum and no different than the slave owners of yore. Good on the authorities for acting. Better late than never.

Not seen anyone claim that selling is a victimless crime - buying for self-use and using is.

And if it was legalized the sellers would not have the hook on the users...