Air Card - Gprs / Edge / 3G

Murf

I am moving into a new apartment shortly. It is perfect, but there is no shared WIFI in the building.

I know i can get true internet via a phone line for about 590baht a month, but i was wondering how good the "Air Card" is.

There are packages from AIS, DTAC and TRUE. All about the same price when i looked at the details.

AIS offer a 7.2Mbps 3G (not yet here i know) for 3690 baht - free for the first 6 months, monthly allowance is 50 hours.

After 6 months it is 150baht a month... That doesnt seem a bad price, but i want to know what the service is like and is it truly 7.2Mpbs or is it really slow?

I dont really use the internet for big downloads, mainly just browsing... Will it be ok for me?

Any input appreciated :)

Here is a solution you might not have thought of. If you live an in area that can get TOT3G you should consider their service. I use a Huawei 3G dongle (purchased from TrueMove but works on any 850/2100 3G network) to connect my computer at work to the internet. I pay 199 baht a month for 1gb of download. I log-in in the morning and leave it connected all day as time doesn't matter. The service is metered by actual data transfer. I the 1gb is more than enough for web browsing at work, checking email, using Facebook, etc. If you don't do a lot of data intensive stuff then this is a cheap and good alternative. You can get prepaid or postpaid TOT3G service at any TOT service center in Bangkok. There are many resellers but service from TOT is the cheapest and their customer service in English is pretty good. Also don't pay for a larger package as I pay 20 satang per 1mb for any data over my 1gb allowance. All the higher tiered packages charge the same price so you are prepaying for data you might not use. If I use the same amount of data I pay the same anyway, but have the advantage of paying less if I don't use more. Last month I paid 212 baht. This is essentially unlimited service for me as I leave it on all day and very rarely exceed my 1gb allowance and if I do it is only a few megabytes extra. If you want a package that has a calling allowance then you will get less data. I got the postpaid S (small) "Internet Set." On postpaid the SIM is free (200 fee for the sim if service is canceled before 12 months).

You did not say where you live.  If you can get a TOT phone line, you may be able to get ADSL, which is the best.  If you do not live in a place where DTAC or AIS is doing the "experimental"  3G, don't waste you money on a 3G aircard -- believe it when you see it.  If, like me, you live out in the sticks with absolutely nothing except DTAC and AIS, get an aircard.  I have a Fox EDGE 700 aircard and it works fine.  Always wanting to be ready for the next wave of technology, I was tempted to spend 300% more for a 3G ready aircard, then, suddenly, I remembered where I was.  I'm gald I did not waste the money.  If 3G comes to the hinterlands of Thailand before I die, I'll be pleasantly surprised.<BR><BR>DTAC has a perennial promotion for those who spend a lot of time on line.  199 baht per month for 50 hours of Internet.  HOWEVER, you get a free 50 hours each moth for the first three months, making it 100 hours for only 199 baht.  I have been getting this deal for over nine months now.  How?  After getting the 100 hours a month for 3 months, I simply pull out the SIM card, throw it away and go buy a new one for 49 baht.  Then I get another 3 months of 100 hours/month for 199 baht/month.  Who cares if you phone number changes; you only use it for Internet.

EDIT: What the hel_l is all the extra character garbage going into these replies? Somebody needs to fix it.

Edited by TongueThaied

As you say yourself, AIS does not have 3G yet (apart from Chiang Mai).

As the 7.2Mbps is 3G speed, you will never see it.

You will only connect at GPRS/EDGE speeds which has a theoretical topspeed of 238 kbps (0.23 Mbps), but practically you'll see more between 100 and 180 kbps.

It works, with a bit of patience, but only for e-mail, browsing and downloading relatively small files (few Mb).

As another poster indicated, you didn't give your location. There are other options, mainly in Bangkok, namely True and TOT, who currently offer 3G. With those systems you can expect speeds pretty much over 1 Mbps most of the times. You'll have to find out if you have coverage though where you live.

Thanks for the replies.

I am moving into an apartment on Rachada Road (Tha Pra - Tonburee) just over the other side of the river from Rama 3.

I am not sure if they have 3G coverage over there... I will have to ask this week.

I actually didn't think that Bangkok had 3G at all, for public service! Is there a website that details anything?