Toyota Race Day

Greenside

When I saw the posters the other day I couldn't figure out if Toyota was planning to race in the stadium or in the car park and to be honest I was expecting the kind of half hearted event that the motorbike drag racing used to be. Wrong.

Although not quite as ambitious as Honda's effort at Ratchapruek a couple of years ago, Toyota turned the car park into a credible race track and put on a big show with a few fun (and pretty scary if you were standing right by the track) driving exhibitions and then some races which I could only stay for one of.

Not many farangs there as far as I could see but very well attended by Thais who were all attracted by the flashy Yaris, Vios and Vigos on show. And definitely not the other models.

930663546_4Ankk-L.jpg

930665255_BNqde-XL.jpg

930664616_NPVco-L.jpg

930665653_Dp6kt-L.jpg

More pictures in a slideshow here - wait a moment for it to load!

Edited by Greenside

I went out there this arvo aswell, I was very surprised at how well it was organised. I didn't get to see the stunt driving, but got to see a number of the races. Pretty cool to have a free event like that, and even the food prices where normal street prices : ) Beats a lot of the sporting events you get in Australia.

I did end up with a headache though after a couple of hours. I think it was the noise of the commentators, being blasted out at the usual thai volumes lol.

Got to see a 2 crashes as well. All in all a pretty good outing.

I recommend people go if it happens again next year.

Was everyone OK after the accidents? Although they do their best to make it a non-fatal experience for the spectators, it does get a bit hairy on some of the corners. I was in the wrong place for the really fast turns but it was fun anyway. Even my wife enjoyed it. A bit...

930664978_huMuP-XL.jpg

Mrs Greenside: "They eat nothing. Nothing. How can they do that?"

Me (Thinks): "Whoah! Cheap to feed..."

Should be on again, went to the same event about 6 months or so ago....part of a countrywide....kind of a Touring Car championship. I presume they were using part of the highway outside the Stadium as well this time?

Some great photos Greenside, especially the lovely ladies - good work! Thanks for sharing. I only wish I had known it was on and gone along myself. How do you find out about these type of events happening?

There have been posters around town for the past few weeks promoting the event.

Yeah the accidents I saw were pretty minor really, just a sideswipe that jammed someone into the side fence, and a tap on the rear that caused a spinout. Both cases the cars involved continued driving after extracting themselves from the barriers, without the need for a safety car.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the dangerous corners and when I did I made sure there was something solid around, like a big tree or some concrete to duck behind if something started heading my way. While the barriers looked solid enough most of the time, it doesn't take much for a car or tyre to skip over them. The danger zones were pretty well marked considering this is thailand, personally I would have made them a bit bigger, but im no racing safety expert. I was a little concerned by the barrels marked with the words "acid" that were in place to cushion wayward cars. I was hoping they were just used barrels that had been filled with water lol.

@khybigv They didn't use the highway at all. It was confined to the north western side of the stadium, the pits were sort of infront of the velladrome. Reasonably small track, but that was good cause u didn't have to wait to long to see the cars again.

Yeah the accidents I saw were pretty minor really, just a sideswipe that jammed someone into the side fence, and a tap on the rear that caused a spinout. Both cases the cars involved continued driving after extracting themselves from the barriers, without the need for a safety car.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the dangerous corners and when I did I made sure there was something solid around, like a big tree or some concrete to duck behind if something started heading my way. While the barriers looked solid enough most of the time, it doesn't take much for a car or tyre to skip over them. The danger zones were pretty well marked considering this is thailand, personally I would have made them a bit bigger, but im no racing safety expert. I was a little concerned by the barrels marked with the words "acid" that were in place to cushion wayward cars. I was hoping they were just used barrels that had been filled with water lol.

@khybigv They didn't use the highway at all. It was confined to the north western side of the stadium, the pits were sort of infront of the velladrome. Reasonably small track, but that was good cause u didn't have to wait to long to see the cars again.

velodrome

Some great photos Greenside, especially the lovely ladies - good work! Thanks for sharing. I only wish I had known it was on and gone along myself. How do you find out about these type of events happening?

I also posted a topic on the chiang mai forum last week telling people.

For those interested in motor racing, the next big event will be the Honda racing in October - always the best of the year.

For those interested in motor racing, the next big event will be the Honda racing in October - always the best of the year.

Where are they holding that? The last one I went to was at Ratchapruek and was a major affair.

Now I don't know what I should do! :lol:

I don't go into town often enough to be sure of seeing the advertising, and don't always read everything on the Chiang Mai forum... Should I get out more, or spend more time on the computer? B)

Seriously though - thanks for the heads up fellas!