May A Falang (Non Thai National) Fly Into Thailand On A One Way Ticket?

submaniac

There is almost never a problem upon entering Thailand. The problem is boarding the aircraft that is going to Thailand. An option if buying a OW ticket is to buy any ticket that leaves Thailand within 30 days of arrival, such as to Malaysia. I think that will usually work to be allowed to board.

Technically you do need a return ticket but I have flown here on a one way from Australia many times and never ever had a problem. In fact my wife and three kids all arrived here in February from Australia (3 Aussie Passports and 2 Thai) on a one way flight. Never a question from anyone when checking in for more than ten years. Only once years ago did a travel agent in Perth check into it and discover that you needed an onward ticket. I assured her that I had done it many times before and after speaking to her boss she was happy to sell the ticket. I must stress though that technically you do need to show a ticket leaving the country, but who exactly you are meant to show it to I have no idea. It is a Thai immigration law so surely it must be Thai Immigration that enforces it? I personally think they would only refuse you entry if you looked really dodgy and after questioning discovered you have no onward ticket. Tell your Friend to dress sharp and carry a briefcase. Does wonders in Thailand.

What passport does your friend carry? If it is one of the countries where visa on arrival is available, then no worries. If from a country where a visa is required to be obtained in advance, then they will have a problem...even if they have a round trip ticket.

The airlines will check your passport during check in. As long as they are sure you either have a visa or can get one on arrival, they are OK.

:blink:

The IATA (Airlines organization) rules state that those who have a flight into Thailand and DO NOT have a visa to enter Thailand are required to have a ticket out of country on arrival. This is NOT a return ticket, but a simply a ticket out of Thailand. If a passenger is refused entry into Thailand, the AIRLINE will be responsible for either returning him/her to his country of origin or providing him/her onward transport. That's why the AIRLINES often insist of seeing a visa or an onward ticket...because if the passenger is not accepted the AIRLINES will be required to pay.

If you do have a tourist visa or any other type of visa, the airline will probably not be any problem for the passenger.

Now on arrival in Thailand...for all practical purposes...Thai immigration will probably never check. However, it is a possibility...I've had it done once when arriving without a visa. I was asked to show my onward ticket. This is a rare event...it has only happened once to me in many arrivals. When arriving without a visa, and simply getting a 30 day stamp on arrival at the airport, you are required to have a onward ticket out of Thailand. The Thai immigration authorities seldom enforce this rule, however.

Bottom line: If you have a visa you are likely to have no problem. Without a visa you stand a chance of being asked by the airline for your onward (or out of Thailand) ticket. It depends on what the airline feels they want to do at the time. By IATA rules they can require you to have a visa or show an onward ticket out of Thailand...and refuse you transport if you don't have either. But that depends on the airline's enforcement of the rule.

:blink:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Depends on if he has a visa or not. If you don't have a visa you need proof of leaving the country within 15 (if qualify for visa on arrival) or 30 days (if qualify for visa exempt entry). With a tourist visa no proof is needed.

Edit: doesn't need to be a return ticket, as long as he has a ticket out of the country. Can be with a different airline.

Tourist visa's are free at the moment.

Problem is not with Thai authorities, problem is with airliner personnel reviewing your ticket. If they are familiar with Thailand, no problem. I took a trip to India a few months ago, when I returned I bought my return ticket there. The Jet Airways person looking at my ticket at the airport asked me about having a ticket out of Thailand (I have a B visa). I told her there was no problem, didn't even mention my visa status - case dropped, flew back.

I heard of an American that once got stopped by United Airlines in the US for not having an onward ticket. China will also stop it's citizens if they do not have a return ticket.....

I've traveled many times on a one way ticket to many countries. You need either 1. a return ticket, 2. a valid visa for entering the country you are traveling to, or 3. you are traveling to a country like Thailand that has visa's on arrival that are available for your passport (home country).

I did not have this a few years ago on a trip to the Philippines. At the airport, I bought a fully refundable ticket (for big bucks) and was allowed to get on the plane. On arrival in Manila, I applied for the refund and got the credit on my credit card within 60 days. No worries.

I was stopped by Qatar at Heathrow because i didnt have a visa just a one way ticket

but after a few panic attacks they issued me with a ticket out of Thailand and charged me 150 pound they did make it refundable minus 50 costs

Its best to just get a visa and be done with it

I was stopped by Qatar at Heathrow because i didnt have a visa just a one way ticket

but after a few panic attacks they issued me with a ticket out of Thailand and charged me 150 pound they did make it refundable minus 50 costs

Its best to just get a visa and be done with it

Indeed. I got away with it numerous times, sometimes asked to show I had sufficient funds and to sign a waiver. Got away with it until that fateful day when I saw them combing the queue before people had even got to the check-in..........I knew it then, the flight was overbooked and I and anyone else with an "irregularity" was going to be bumped from the flight. So it turned out. Visa.

From personal experience, a lot of carriers in europe wont board you without a return ticket, particularly Emirates et al. However once here thai immigration dont care and wont ask, and it wont be a problem. Id suggest buying a one way and if they give you any trouble at the airport nip over to an internet terminal and book a cheap air asia flightthailand to pnhom phen in cambodia for a point in a couple of weeks. That should do the trick. Then cancel it in thailand!!

On my first trip to Asia from the US, I had a ticket to Hong Kong, no departing ticket, but then a ticket from Vietnam to Thailand, then a return to the US. The reason was my sister had bought my ticket from Hong Kong to Vietnam. I clearly was leaving Hong Kong before the date of that ticket out of Vietnam, but the airline made me buy an onward ticket out of Hong Kong anyway in order to board the plane in the US.

I would guess the farther away from Thailand the journey starts, the more likely the airline is going to require an onward ticket if the person doesn't have a visa. Not only are they less likely to be familiar with the immigration vagaries of Thailand, but the cost to fly someone back if they're rejected at immigration is higher.

I've been asked for proof of a exiting flight from Thailand once by Thai Immigration, so pretty low odds that it'll happen in Thailand. But I did also once get stuck two people behind some guy trying to talk his way into Thailand at immigration without an onward ticket. After some discussion, someone else came over and pulled him aside to deal with. Not sure what triggered the inquiry in his case, but I wonder if he had "gotten away with it" many times previously.

I think the best way to do it is to buy a round trip ticket to hong kong or singapore, then book a one way flight on air asia. I just arrived a few days ago via this method and was sent through customs without a single question.

Thai immigration requires you to have an onward flight ticket if you do not already have a visa. Emirates are particularly annoying as mentioned above and even if you have a tourist visa already, they don't want to sell you a one-way ticket to Thailand. Non-imm visas are fine with them though.

<br>Technically you do need a return ticket but I have flown here on a one way from Australia many times and never ever had a problem.
Which airline do you fly? I was stopped at Sydney 4 years ago about to fly business class on BA to BKK. I had no onward ticket with me, although I did have a Finnair ticket out of BKK to HKG three weeks later. It was in the computer, but had not been issued. BA refused to permit me to check-in. It took almost 30 minutes, phone calls to my travel agent in BKK, repeating my story to three different staff and an imprint of my credit card before they finally allowed me to board. I was furious, but I was told it was all airlines' policy out of Sydney. Edited by Wozzit

The rules are quite clear -- although it becomes confusing as they are enforced differently at different times..... This is the real problem which occasionally catches the traveller and is the real danger for the O.P. The IATA is tasked by the airlines to provide them (the airlines) with the various & different requirements of entry for each country

The IATA states for entry into Thailand:

"Those travelling to Thailand with a visa issued prior to arrival, are permitted to travel on a one-way ticket."

(A "permit to stay" --- 30 day stamp on arival is not a visa.)

Having said that let me add that on two occasions when flying into Thailand on the second half of a return ticket (I live here) I was refused boarding unless I purchased a flight out of Thailand. I pointed out the rules as are clearly stated on the Airlines website--- a direct cut & paste from the IATA site --- but to no avail. The ticketing or boarding gate is no place to hold a debate --- even when you are right. I do hold a visa.

Any problem re this has always been created by the Airline. In many visits over too many years this has never been raised at Thai Immigration. (Although as previously pointed out ---- it could!!)

If you decide to take the chance -- ensure you have sufficent time at the airport to purchase a cheap throw away ticket to anywhere if the unlikley actually happens.

In the US that airlines have always checked my visa before allowing me to check in.

Presumably your friend is flying out the US? He needs a visa or some kind of onward ticket.

One can always say that you're traveling overland to Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam, or perhaps into Malaysia and Singapore by train or something similar. You have no idea how long you will be in Southeast Asia, therefore, no air ticket to return home. It worked for me.

One can always say that you're traveling overland to Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam, or perhaps into Malaysia and Singapore by train or something similar. You have no idea how long you will be in Southeast Asia, therefore, no air ticket to return home. It worked for me.

It may have worked for you, but that does NOT meet immigration requirements.

The rules are quite clear -- although it becomes confusing as they are enforced differently at different times..... This is the real problem which occasionally catches the traveller and is the real danger for the O.P. The IATA is tasked by the airlines to provide them (the airlines) with the various & different requirements of entry for each country

The IATA states for entry into Thailand:

"Those travelling to Thailand with a visa issued prior to arrival, are permitted to travel on a one-way ticket."

(A "permit to stay" --- 30 day stamp on arival is not a visa.)

Having said that let me add that on two occasions when flying into Thailand on the second half of a return ticket (I live here) I was refused boarding unless I purchased a flight out of Thailand. I pointed out the rules as are clearly stated on the Airlines website--- a direct cut & paste from the IATA site --- but to no avail. The ticketing or boarding gate is no place to hold a debate --- even when you are right. I do hold a visa.

Any problem re this has always been created by the Airline. In many visits over too many years this has never been raised at Thai Immigration. (Although as previously pointed out ---- it could!!)

If you decide to take the chance -- ensure you have sufficent time at the airport to purchase a cheap throw away ticket to anywhere if the unlikley actually happens.

On which airline? I fly China air and they've never given me a problem with one way into Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello..

Seems that you have the same thoughts as me... no return ticket home

But im wondering if you can help me with this.. since you have more knowledge

I just bought a one way ticket SFO-HKong with United... because im planning to move to southeast asia from HK... and traveling over some other countries, so i do not know when i will return home

Is there would be any problem at the time i abording the plane in SFO or at HK immigration..?

I have read that HK allow to stay 90 days for my nationality but anyway they will ask me for a Return ticket, are they?

Should i buy a cheap air asia ticket for proof that i have a way out of the country?

Thank you Brad

Eloy

MX

Thai immigration requires you to have an onward flight ticket if you do not already have a visa.

Technically, this is a requirement the world over. But what is theory and practice are two different monsters, as nearly all respective governments have relied on the airlines to play policeman regarding the onward travel restriction or not. On any given day, one could pass through Thai immigration at Swampy without question with a prepaid visa or entry stamp. The problem might come from the carrier....which vary in policy and casualness.