Uk - Challenge To New Language Requirement Successful

This new requirement for spouse/partner settlement visas does appear very poorly thought out.

It seems a good idea and one I support in theory however the deadline of Autumn 2010 is not that far away. The government have not given any details of what courses are acceptable, who examines applicants and who monitors the language schools. I wonder if this ruling will change things!

They are leaving it very late to implement this by the autumn. I wonder if they were in too much of a hurry to start looking tough on immigration.

A little more concentration on illegal immigration and a little less pressure on legal would seem more sensible!

I think its a good thing , but its a pity they did not start on the people that have lived in the UK for years and cannot speak English and have no intentions of doing so.jap.gif

Well they could start with some of the young the people who are born and bred in the UK, whose families stretch back to the first immigrants (the Angles and Saxons) and try and teach them to speak English. All they keep doing is lowering the bar so nobody fails at anything.

In theory it's a good idea but like many things introduced by governments of all colours it is not thought through and the scheme will be under funded. Just a headline grabber that makes it look like they're doing something, by Autumn the press and people will be more interested in X Factor and nobody will remember it.