Swedish National On Hunger Strike In Bangkok

webfact

Everything I have ever read about Thai prisons indicates barely livable conditions. So, firstly, I don't understand how this guy could have obtained the simple things needed to obtain a law degree (books, pen, paper, desk, solitude and privacy to study, work - computer?). Also, it seems odd to me that there is some Law school in Thailand that provides valid Law degrees by "correspondence". Also, wonder, even if this were possible in Thailand, is it possible for a falang in Thailand (much less in prison). Even if all this were possible, wonder from where he would have obtained needed funds.

So, it all seems very unlikely to be true.

But, even if it were true, after 10 years in prison, I would imagine a mental health professional would suggest at least having some counseling, taking some time to chill and recover from the ordeal mentally, emotionally and physically.

Doing what this guy is presently doing, seems more obsessive and mentally unbalanced than behavior that would lead him to a more normal, balanced life.

Not true. Many prisoners all over Thailand have access to education and there are grand graduation ceremonies held every year. While conditions are rough, and frankly unacceptable, foreign prisoners in Bang Kwang, etc. do have access to books, and necessities to further their education. Each prison governor has their own method and ideas. The very progressive lady who runs the Chiang Mai Women's Prison has opened a massage shop/bakery/coffee shop accross the road from the prison, so that inmates who are soon to be released can hold a day job, dozens graduate each year in vocational studies/uni and high school, they earn a living (baking, crafts, sewing, etc.) and get to bank parts of the proceeds to send to families or for their release, and there are even computers. Not all prisons are any where as progressive, but don't get all of your information from the rather tabloid and sensationalised novels. Though of course, much of that is also true.

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to you if your good luck wishes go to a criminal, convicted of extortion, blackmail and armed robbery.

But please follow the TVF rules:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

555.. I started reading online bulletinboards in -92.

The comment above has got to be the lamest, and funniest, thing I've ever read on a webboard. :)

(I didn't dare to make the comment bold out of fear for violating the rules, so keep guessing which one I meant)

555.. how superlame.. 555

Swedish Behnam "Benny" Moafi

Swedish , yeah , right .. :whistling:

I agree. Absolutely not a genetically genuine Swede.

Your average "Pure" Swede would run, not fight.

Hehe,So the average Swede is "coward then? ( don't figth for justice,run when it's hot)

Me? I don't think so :unsure:

Swedish Behnam "Benny" Moafi

Swedish , yeah , right .. :whistling:

About one and a half year ago a “Swedish” man, who looked all but Swedish, wanted to sell us a second hand car.

When I insisted, he admitted to be an Egyptian, but having lived in Sweden for a while.

The car turned out to be at least fourth hand and the “Swedish” passport he showed us could have been forged.

To cut a long story short, we did not buy the car.

I have never commented before on this site but there have been a few things said earlier that were not necessary.I was a J.P. and acted many times as an appeal Judge.When I was sworn in over 30 years ago the Judge at the time said to me always remember it is far better to let 99 guilty offenders go free than to convict one inocent man.This is something that i have never forgot.If Thailand is going to advance as a nation then it must seriosly look at casesof injustice.Thailand is a member of the U.N. and I am very surprised that there has not been more U.N. intervention over many many issues.If this gentleman feels that he has suffered an injustice then why not protest he does,nt seem to worry about any future immplications and he must commended for this.I actually think for what it is worth that this government can be understanding and over recent issues I do think we could be headed in the right direction.Many unpleasant things happened recently and I have the deepest Sympathy for the many unfortunate families.The only way forward sometimes is to sit down face to face and come to some concrete decisions however unpleasant they may be but they must satisfies both parties.This country could be one of the best in the world and it would not take much to achieve this.Education is the only way forward it appears to be happening but it takes time and future generations will surely benefit.I wish this gentleman all the best for the future.I also hope that the country can go forward now into prosperity that benefits all Thai people.

So he was sentenced to 22 years and only served 10 ... He should be very careful , as it could go the opposite was for him and he ends up serving the rest of his sentence ..

Would he really sit there if he wasn’t innocent in jail?

I’m glad that there’re people out there fighting against wrong decisions.

I hope it’s not just an advertisement……..

Yes, I guess much can be said about this so called "Swedish" Behnam “Benny” Moafi.

If he is not guilty, I guess he have all the right to stand up against law and order in Thailand.

I can also, as many other here on this forum, feel that it is good that he actually do it. Goverment

in Thailand need to understand that common man in Thailand want to change and want to stand

up for their rights. If a falang start this, why not?? I back him up...

And I do sincerely think it is shit with stupid remarks from people saying i.e. "Mark should call his

marksmen to pacify this silly farang"

Glegolo

Whatever makes you crazy Benny? Good luck!

Benny is a Swedish national. While traveling in south east Asia in 1995 with his Thai wife, Benny decided to settle in Thailand and start a business in Phuket province. Events including police corruption led to him being unlawfully deported and put on a blacklist of persons declared dangerous to Thailand's national security. He challenged this, but there was no response from the immigration authorities. Benny went back to Sweden for two years and then returned to Thailand.

In August 2000 Benny was helping a friend with a case against a Syrian man. Benny himself was lodging a complaint against a policeman who had taken $6000 from him. This was eventually dropped but 2 weeks later, the policeman arranged for a raid on Benny's home with the assistance of the Syrian. Using documents from the immigration case of 1997 and seeing that Benny had 2 computers and related equipment, the policeman arrested Benny and charged him with computer hacking and forgery.

Though the charges were dropped after four days, Benny's passport was never returned. Neither was he released. New charges of extortion and kidnapping were pressed against him. It appears that the same Syrian was behind all of this and Benny was told that if he paid him 400,000 Baht he could go free. Benny refused to do so. Charges of armed robbery were added to the indictment. For reasons unknown, the Swedish Embassy stopped visiting him and a promise to visit 'in a week', turned into a wait of 15 months. He received no medical care and lost 20kg in weight. His lawyer at the time cheated him, taking his money and his car.

The current case against Benny is that, along with five others, he beat and robbed the Syrian. No stolen property was found. There were no witnesses to the assault and robbery. The victim had no injuries, nor did he seek medical help. He is reported to have gone to a hotel bar immediately after the alleged attack and waited 14 days before making a complaint.

After 14 months, Benny was tried alone; nothing is known of the 5 remaining co-accused. He was convicted of assault and sentenced to 21 years imprisonment. Fourteen months were added for possession of a gun without a license.

Benny appealed and was acquitted, but the prosecution appealed against this to the Supreme Court, who ruled that Benny was guilty and his original sentence was to stand. Benny is now making a formal complain to the King of Thailand. His complaints against the police officer and 9 prosecution witnesses were accepted and all of the above face charges of perjury.

Benny has learnt Thai and has become an expert in helping fellow prisoners gain the few rights they are entitled to, such as using radios, obtaining newspapers, stopping the use of shackles, and allowing foreigners to phone their families.

Fair Trial Issues

1. When questioned at the Crime Suppression Division, Benny had no legal representation, as the lawyer provided was watching Thai boxing on TV instead of advising Benny. The only people present were a Lieutenant Colonel of the police force and Benny.
  2. Benny's complaint against his accuser was disregarded by the police.
  3. No translator was present, and Benny could not understand the charges made against him.
  4. At the sentencing hearing, the court falsely claimed that Benny said he was in hospital at the time of the alleged incident.
  5. Though the Lieutenant Colonel admitted in court that Benny and the Syrian had known of each other before the alleged incident, the court did not take this into consideration in passing the guilty verdict. The Syrian lodged the complaint nine days after Benny had helped his friend with a complaint against the Syrian.
  6. The initial prosecutor seemed intent on a fair trial. However, he was removed and replaced by another prosecutor who coached the complainant before and during the trial, with no intervention by the judges. The complainant was shown court papers before testifying.
  7. At the appeal, the judges clearly stated in their reasons for the acquittal that Benny's prior dealings with the Syrian meant that the latter's testimony was unconvincing.
  8. Benny was forced to state that he had never had a licence to possess a gun. He didn't want to do so because he has never had a gun, so never needed a licence. The statement was used to convict Benny, as "where the defendant says he had no licence to possess a gun, it means he had a gun without licence".

http://www.fairtrial...am_jantharakul/

If that's true, please give him his justice. What a sad story.

Go on benny.

It's not just Thailand there are corrupt police officials in every country, including Europe and the US. Thanks to the media we are learning more and more about the corrupt police throughout the world. Most normal people probably think rubbish. But what ever happens behind them doors you will never know or find out.

Even loads of coppers in the UK have been done for fraud, drug rings and other crimes. Thanks to the advancing technology in forensics, they are also getting sussed out quicker. Its not just police either, any one is high up in power play the corrupt games, even the expenses game with the politicians in the UK.

Believe it or not, according to sources from various charities worldwide there is around 30% of the prison population that are innocent serving hugh sentences because they were simply at the wrong place at the wrong time. And a lot of countries will not even consider DNA evidence.

actually you have to admire the guy but his rights mean nothing in thailand as hes a "farang " =":angry:"

It's people like this guy that are going to change things for foreigners here for the better. The more people that get behind him for foreigner's rights the better. We all deserve the same rights as everyone else, and you don't get that unless you do something about it.

I hope more people join his cause rather then defend the broken system.

Good for you Benny , after 10 years in a Thai prison you`ve certainly got balls , good luck !!

I am currently supporting a Turkish prisoner, a young man, who was told by his lawyer to plead guilty and get a lesser sentance of say 10 years. he pleaded guilty and was give 30 years and the lawyer ran off. I think he was guilty but if this had been tried in a European court mitigating circumstances would have been taken on board. I previously mentioned this on this board and the ignorant came back with "Do the crime, serve the time". Not very helpful.

Edited by ianf

As one op said go home but not to Sweden because he is of Arab of origin so go back to Irak

Wrong in everything. He was born in Iran, not Irak and Iranians are not arabs, they are Persians. I used to know quite a few and I agree. Big difference between Persians and Arabs

Edited by MikeyIdea

so what was he doing in phuket in 1995 that led tp him being deported and blacklisted as a danger to thailnads national security.

seems trouble follows him around................

Perhaps not. Another take is that perhaps if they put the finger on you then you become an easy target.

I do not confess to be an educated or articulate man.So i will keep to the facts.

Thailand is a signatory to the convention for the disabled.

As a disabled person,i am entitled to permanent accommodation in this country.Based on that convention.

All attempts to register my concerns with the Human Rights commission in Thailand have fallen on deaf ears.

I approached a local politician to ask for help.His reply,and i quote."That if i was seen, to be helping a farang,i would lose my seat in Parliament.

My desire is to have a home,not a rental house.i have been moving constantly over the last 3 years.When my house was either sold.Or thrown out on the street as the Thai owners could no longer afford the monthly repayments to the bank.It was bought to my attention that in the city i lived, 6 "farang in three months had been evicted from their rental homes,by Thai banks.I might add that i Have no desire to live in an apartment.I am single and have no desire to marry.

Benny deserves the highest praise.And i wish him all the best in his pursuit of justice.

The fact, that Thailand now has a seat on the Human rights council, is a joke.

Law and Justice are nothing else then the mirrors of the Society they represent, and the Thai society is a very dark one. But the same counts for all Countries around the World, the Law and Police believe they are above anything else and they can act accordingly. How many where killed by the Law in the USA? China, not to mention the Countries where the religious zealots are making the Law, best Example Afganistan and Iran.

The Law is made for the People but that has been long forgoten in the Countries around the World.

I like the Way you stand up and have used the wasted 10 Years of your Life for doing somethings useful out of it. This is what I call real Human Spirit, no matter how much evil stands against you, you move on. All the A..holes with there stupid comments you could learn somethings out of it, but it is People like you who make the Law to that mirror it reflects.

Law and Justice are nothing else then the mirrors of the Society they represent, and the Thai society is a very dark one. But the same counts for all Countries around the World, the Law and Police believe they are above anything else and they can act accordingly. How many where killed by the Law in the USA? China, not to mention the Countries where the religious zealots are making the Law, best Example Afganistan and Iran.

The Law is made for the People but that has been long forgotten in the Countries around the World.

I like the Way you stand up and have used the wasted 10 Years of your Life for doing somethings useful out of it. This is what I call real Human Spirit, no matter how much evil stands against you, you move on. All the A..holes with there stupid comments you could learn somethings out of it, but it is People like you who make the Law to that mirror it reflects.

I totally agree............!!!!!!

Those with the urge to let loose with a volley of snide put-downs, should instead consider that this man is playing by the rules. He's exercising his legal rights to seek redress before the courts. His protest is peaceful and not an imposition to anyone else's rights and liberties. At the very least, he is entitled to appear before a judge who can then render a decision based upon the evidence. What we see is the same type of delay that some U.S. states employ with wrongfully convicted people on death row. The Innocence Project has cleared alot of innocent people based upon DNA evidence that prosecutors and police wanted to suppress or prevent from being used. According to the Innocence Project more than one-third of the first 250 people exonerated by DNA testing were 22 or under when they were arrested. They spent decades in jail being abused and denied their rights. If an advanced society like the USA can send people to prison, what happens in Thailand to those without the means to defend themselves and that are wrongfully condemned?

What's the alternative for this person other than the court system? Do you want him to get violent and start making things boom as has happened elsewhere in Thailand? Justice delayed is justice denied and justice denied is an indication of a corrupt judiciary. ( Corruption does not necessarily mean the taking of bribes but includes interference by political and vested interests.)

someone always has to blast the U.S. ...

He's not blasting the US. What he is saying is it ALSO happens in the US.

And your conclusion " I guess it's the U.S.'s fault this man "MAY BE" wrongfully convicted?" is bogus my friend.

Do you have some sort of guilt complex? Chill out.

Being wrongly convicted is a very real reality for a lot of people around the world. And from what I have heard Thailand is a big offender. The truth can be elusive but regardless of ones guilt or innocence we should all support someone who is standing up to a very real, very scary fate faced by other farangs, wrongful imprisonment, because it could happen any of us. There is no doubt in my mind of severe corruption in Thailand. That coupled with a culture determined to "save face" is a bad combination for justice. I cherish my freedom and regardless if this guy is really innocent what he is doing noble. I cant even fathom how angry i would be if i were him. My humble respect.

I do not confess to be an educated or articulate man.So i will keep to the facts.

As a disabled person,i am entitled to permanent accommodation in this country.Based on that convention.

All attempts to register my concerns with the Human Rights commission in Thailand have fallen on deaf ears.

I approached a local politician to ask for help.His reply,and i quote."That if i was seen, to be helping a farang,i would lose my seat in Parliament.

My desire is to have a home,not a rental house.i have been moving constantly over the last 3 years.When my house was either sold.Or thrown out on the street as the Thai owners could no longer afford the monthly repayments to the bank.It was bought to my attention that in the city i lived, 6 "farang in three months had been evicted from their rental homes,by Thai banks.I might add that i Have no desire to live in an apartment.I am single and have no desire to marry.

Benny deserves the highest praise.And i wish him all the best in his pursuit of justice.

It is a big mistake to assume that Thailand will protect the rights of a farang. They don't even provide permanent accommodations to disabled Thais so you can hardly expect any kind of serious consideration for a farang. The politician was being unusually honest and stating the facts of Thai society. The quicker you learn that the better off you will be.

Farangs are considered guests and guests, like fish, smell after 3 days and are subject to being thrown out.

Edited by overhaul38

The Law is made for the People but that has been long forgotten in the Countries around the World.

I totally agree............!!!!!!

The subject is a case of Thai justice.

Can't any of you mental midgets discuss any factor of Thai society without bashing and slamming the U.S.? The U.S. is not perfect but it has many agencies that investigate and prosecute the violation of human rights

so please stick to the issue at hand and stop the gratuitous bashing.

It is a big mistake to assume that Thailand will protect the rights of a farang. The politician was being unusually honest and stating the facts of Thai society. The quicker you learn that the better off you will be.

Farangs are considered guests and guests, like fish, smell after 3 days and are subject to being thrown out.

I have come to expect this type of comment in this forum......i am not just fighting for my rights.But those of all disabled people in Thailand........I do not need you to determine that i would be better off lying down and having my human dignity and rights trodden on.I have the courage,will and desire to fight for these rights.And it is not a mistake.......It is a basic human right

It is a big mistake to assume that Thailand will protect the rights of a farang. The politician was being unusually honest and stating the facts of Thai society. The quicker you learn that the better off you will be.

I have come to expect this type of comment in this forum......i am not just fighting for my rights.But those of all disabled people in Thailand........I do not need you to determine that i would be better off lying down and having my human dignity and rights trodden on.I have the courage,will and desire to fight for these rights.And it is not a mistake.......It is a basic human right

someone always has to blast the U.S. ... I guess it's the U.S.'s fault this man "MAY BE" wrongfully convicted?

I was not "blasting" the USA. The reference was made because it made for an excellent illustration of what happens when justice is corrupted. I could not use another country like Australia, or Denmark or Canada because those nations do not have death rows. Thailand has a death row. On the contrary, I think it was a positive notation about the US justice system in that there is an allowance made for redress of a wrongful conviction. That is certainly better than what one sees in Thailand. Wrongful convictions happen everywhere. Unfortunately, in some countries like Russia, China and the USA there is often great haste to incarcerate snd to forget, especially with certain ethnic groups.. Canada has a high rate of incarceration, and yet the number of wrongful convictions is no worse than most EU and occidental south pacific nations. That is perhaps due to the fact that the opportunity for political interference is limited. One of the benefits of the English derived justice system is that crown prosecutors are seperate from the political process. Politicians and the police agencies are prevented from interfering. If and when they do, they are immediately smacked down. In Thailand, there appears to be significant political involvement in the appointment and direction of judges and prosecutors. At least that's how it looks if one reads the stories in the papers and as discussed in the forum. The weakness of the US system is that many judges and State and local district attorneys are elected. Although it certainly allows for accountability to the public, it doesn't encourage sober judicial independence. Thai justice officials seem to be pressured to tow the line, especially when a non Thai is implicated.