Glass On The Beach Where Do I Complain?!

Crypt36

With the high tide you won't see that much except for some frequent shards of glass, most already worn down by the sand, not that big of a problem. What you might not know as that the part where you swim is just covered in F*****ng glass?! Mainly those big pools left behind with the low tide and where the water makes all these delta's when pulling back from the beach. I've been gathering on average 3 bags of glass every day for the past 3 months. Every f****ng day, good for 400 to 500kg of bottles and broken glass.

It's ridiculous?! I am pissed off and I've had it! You clean a part of the beach and the next day it's all back again and the next and next I am sick of it.

And noone else is doing it period. Maybe a beach chair owner picks a bottle once a day if it might be in reach of his toe from his last chair but no way he'd ever pick up the broken glass, no just a bottle in reach.

Where do I go? They have a mayer here right? Someone with on office and clerks to get angry with?

Maybe other people could do the same, it would help.

If you are resident, why not start a volunteer group? Start asking for donations, pay locals to clean up. You help keep the country clean, generate jobs AND help the locals at no extra effort for them.

Start by cleaning up, then dropping it off the mayors office.

Ask where to drop off the crap found at the beach. If they do have a proper system of handling it, your problems are solved. If not, they get stuck with crap dumped each day/week.

Hand out info leaflets on why having clean water is good for local business (eg. more tourism, better fishing).

Something worth doing is worth doing right, and to have it done right, do it yourself.

chances are they dumb it back into the sea over night :whistling:

The first reply was the best: phone 1337 and explain exactly where the glass is found. They will send someone over to investigate and probbly fine the beach chair vendor , because he is the one who should his part of the beach clean.

Hi,

I want to first say thanks for helping out on dealing with the glass.

I know this is the 'Pattaya' forum, but could you tell us where the glass is ? Like around what Soi's, or general area where its happening/the worst ?

Then we know where to be more attentive.

Much appreciated for the heads up, hope it gets dealt with higher up the food chain.

Well it's everywhere.

The South Part is worst because I don't pick it up over there... Also the water doesn't draw back as far as the north part of the beach with the lowtide.

Zone :Asia/Bangkok

Here you can see the lowtides.

Now with the lowtide check the large pools on the north beach. On the south part of the beach you won't have much difficulty spotting bottles in case you have eyes. Just walk the wet part where the water has drawn back with the lowtides.

North part it's apart from the pools of water worst where you see the "branches in the water" those little rivers / deltas where the water has flewn back with the lowtide, always "fresh" broken glass over there and it's where people stand and swim with the high tide.

What's 1337 for number? People who live here might now how far the water draws back with the lowtide, I doubt those beachowners have the duty to clean up during those 2 hours around noon currently, and that's the only time you can see how bad it really is.

Apart from the pools and the "delta" part the north side is pretty clean actually because that's where water gathers all of it.

P.S. I don't know how to explain it the "delta" part.... It's at the border between the dry and the wet sand with the lowtide where the backing water made all those little rivers, it's a 1-2 meter strip.

Edited by Crypt36

Hi,

I want to first say thanks for helping out on dealing with the glass.

I know this is the 'Pattaya' forum, but could you tell us where the glass is ? Like around what Soi's, or general area where its happening/the worst ?

Then we know where to be more attentive.

Much appreciated for the heads up, hope it gets dealt with higher up the food chain.

I want to be 2nd to thank you. I have mentioned the Jomtien rubbish situation on TV forum before and just got nowhere.

I was on about Jomtien being the "landfill site for Pattaya". Some posts just told me that it was perfectly OK to "dump building site waste on the swamp land"

that is "Jomtien"

I have walked the entire length of the beach at low tide and it is a disgrace. I removed all manner of crap and put them in bins I saw on my way up.

I do not walk on the beach anymore, the pollution is too bad. What does not help is the blocked drains from all the mess that is supposed to be Thrappaya Road.

Sadly it would take a major effort to start cleaning up the mess, and then an even bigger effort to stop it happening again.

I was at Baanam Phur (spelling?) beach a few years ago after what was evidently a major rubbish dumping excercise had taken place offshore.

The mess was disheartening.

You are not alone in picking up the rubbish. I have seen other expats picking up the ever present plastic bags and polystyrene, but all to no avail.

It just takes another week-end of tourists and the rubbish pile grows and grows.

Bang Sare beach is also a mess.

The only "clean " beach I have been to near Pattaya is the Navy Beach near Sattahip. Only on a relative scale.

I wish there was an answer to other peoples total disregard of this planet and its eco system and animals.

Read the latest on Green Peace's finding on the chemicals in the Thai rivers.....Come to "Amazing Thailand" and swim in the water ....you have to be joking...right ?

p.s. I am no tree hugger - but we need to wake up and smell the coffee....:blink:

:jap:

I have called that number 1337 and got an english speaking woman from the city office. She would make notice of my story...

It's not that bad on Pattaya Beach actually concerning other kinds of rubbish. Some tin cans yes. But no bags or other kinds of stuff.... JUST GLASS?! I think it's the thais themselves who sit there every night and leave their bottles.

I actually had some thai come up to me 2 months ago. He told me he was from the city office and identified himself with a card. He asked me if I was cleaning the glass up every day and "not many thai people clean up the glass" and if he could take my picture, which I refused being pretty pissed he wan't <deleted> pickin it up himself instead of hearassing me.... When I walked up 5 mins later with a new bag he stood there with his camera filming me... I was pretty angry... And because of this I seriously doubt my call will make a difference...

Edited by Crypt36

Well done for picking up the glass. I used to pick up rubbish along Chaweng Beach way back in the 90s, till a Thai I talked to blamed the garbage on farangs, despite most of it being fishing boat and industrial waste!

Personally, I don't swim in the sea anywhere here in Pattaya, and wear sandals when on the sand, as don't want to get cut feet, and don't like looking at the ground all the time.

I don't think you'll get much satisfaction complaining to anyone. However, you can still get the satisfaction of doing a good deed.

Good work, it is a shame the people who probably watch you every day cannot see beyond the end of their little noses.

If you were to organise a beach clean up I would be happy to join in, it would not make one ounce of difference but maybe being seen to make a difference may spark some notice and debate in the land where "image" is such an important thing.

My suggestion is to set up a charity supported by those interested and offer money for sea worn glass particles measuered by the kilo weight etc (avoidng them just breaking bottles and selling it to you). This would provide an opportuity for the hordes of useless to earn some money by doing some good.

To expect the municipal office to get on it and clean up consistently is naive at the extreme.

Good work, it is a shame the people who probably watch you every day cannot see beyond the end of their little noses.

If you were to organise a beach clean up I would be happy to join in, it would not make one ounce of difference but maybe being seen to make a difference may spark some notice and debate in the land where "image" is such an important thing.

A Beach clean up would be useless. As I said you clean it up and it's back the next day. I've been doing it for 3 months and it's useless. If you want to help do the same I do. Pick up glass with a bag for 1 hour a day.

If 3 more people would do what I do Pattaya beach would be glass free period.

http://www.fisica.un...tions/5772.html

Check these time tables. If the water goes as low as 1m or less the beach becomes huge instead of that little strip we normally have. Currently it gets down 1m almost every day but some weaks and even months of the year we don't get this lowtide at all so cleaning is not possible.

Now take a bag, go up on the beach in front of Pattaya Klang / Central Pattaya road. Make sure you're on the wet sand where people swim at the high tide and start walking towards walking street. Just 15 minutes a day. Fill a bag and go home...There's containers up on the boulevard every 100m.

Edited by Crypt36

I actually had some thai come up to me 2 months ago. He told me he was from the city office and identified himself with a card. He asked me if I was cleaning the glass up every day and "not many thai people clean up the glass" and if he could take my picture, which I refused being pretty pissed he wan't <deleted> pickin it up himself instead of hearassing me.... When I walked up 5 mins later with a new bag he stood there with his camera filming me... I was pretty angry... And because of this I seriously doubt my call will make a difference...

A somewhat disgusting thought just popped up while reading your post: You don't suppose he would hand the video over to the Police to report you for doing "volunteer work" without the appropriate work permit??? :blink:

I read somewhere that the umbrella people are responsible for keeping their part of the beach clean as part of the deal of them being there, I dont know if true or not, but the cans and bottles must be worth money, I suggested to some of the people that survive by collecting bottles and cans that they collect from the beach at low tide but they didnt seem to like that idea

A Beach clean up would be useless. As I said you clean it up and it's back the next day. I've been doing it for 3 months and it's useless. If you want to help do the same I do. Pick up glass with a bag for 1 hour a day.

If 3 more people would do what I do Pattaya beach would be glass free period.

I think you misunderstood my point, as I said the clean up would be absolutely useless but what if the media were included, and it was seen that it was the non Thais taking interest and thought for the future of "their" beach. Would there be some serious loss of face among the local govt, authorities and people who should be taking care of the tourism industry.

What you are doing is great but maybe if you want to make a difference rather than purely pick up glass every day you may want to look at other ideas.

Anyway just my thoughts, as I said good work for doing what you have done.

If you are resident, why not start a volunteer group? Start asking for donations, pay locals to clean up. You help keep the country clean, generate jobs AND help the locals at no extra effort for them.

Start by cleaning up, then dropping it off the mayors office.

Ask where to drop off the crap found at the beach. If they do have a proper system of handling it, your problems are solved. If not, they get stuck with crap dumped each day/week.

Hand out info leaflets on why having clean water is good for local business (eg. more tourism, better fishing).

Something worth doing is worth doing right, and to have it done right, do it yourself.

I was thinking why not get the Tourist Police farang Volunteers to help? They are obviously civic minded individuals so should be happy to help.

One sad things is that when one looks out at night at sees all the shrimp/squid boats festooned with lights, what do you think they do with the bulbs that burn out?