Snakes?

blyish

For those of you who live out of the center, in one of the complexes across the tracks, how common is to find snakes in your garden? I have two of the sweetest and most stupid dogs in the planet. If there's a poisonous snake in my garden, they'll manage to get bit. I'll run the other way, but the dogs are likely to chase it. Are there areas where snakes are more common? I want to avoid those!

Sorry. Typo. I saw a house in a development called Paradise Village, Soi 88 near a university (don't know the name of the university). There's a huge sign reading "Avenue 88" and then you turn into the development. It's right against the hills.

We live to the west of the town in Nong Korn surrounded by pineapple fields and scrubland, some of our neighbours when walking their dogs often see everything from very large pythons to cobras and a few other wierd and wonderful looking ones but not lost any animals yet. We have a Koi pond in our garden which of course also means we probably have more than our share of frogs and toads but strangely we get few snakes in the garden and I don't know whether the fact that we have an electronic pest repeller in the house has any effect on snakes, certainly have only seen just one rat in the garden in 2 years since installing it, and very few of the multitude of creepy crawlies are seen either. Perhaps this repeller is doing an excellent job and might be worth your while considering.

The fact that you say you get "very few snakes" means you do get some and that's what worries me. I don't have a lot of faith in my dogs --One is a spaniel and will chase anything that moves. The other one is still a puppy, which means he's just dumb. They sleep inside the house at night, but the whole point of having a big yard is to let them run around during the day. The house I saw has a high wall all around, but a gate with a huge gap underneath, which defeats the whole purpose. And there's a pool, so that (I guess) increases the attraction. When I asked the owner about snakes he said they haven''t seen any around "this year." Doesn't leave me feeling too confident.

What about the dogs? Have they ever been bit?

I've lived in Tipawan 4 for a month and didn't run into a single snake, so I was thinking that maybe the further away you move from the hills (for example), the less chances of running into a snake. Or somethng like that.

Yes, our male dog was bitten in the face by a Malayan Pit Viper (most common poisonous snake here). One side of his snout swelled up like he had a golf ball in his mouth. It was at night and all the vets were closed so my (Thai) wife made some village style poltace out of tobacco and a couple of other things and he was sick for a couple of days but came out ok. Both dogs were hit in the eyes (male both eyes, female one eye) by a spitting cobra. The three eyes swelled shut immediately. I dispatched the snake and we took both dogs to the vet and she flushed their eyes first with water, then with some kind of eye drops, gave them each an injection and again they were back to normal in a couple of days.

This is the Malayan Pit Viper:

Malayan-pit-viper.jpg

In six years we've (me, the wife, the gardener or the dogs) have probably encountered near 50 of these on our 1.5 rai (in the hills south of town near Takiab).

Most snakes including cobras want nothing to do with humans and if you make enough noise or they see you, you will never see them as they will run away. The one pictured above is different. They camouflage themselves and sit very still and strike if you come to close or they feel threatened. The only reason that I do see the ones in my yard is that our two (soi) dogs are relentless at seeking them out and alerting us to the fact that they are there. By the way, we also have a Koi Pond and lots of toads in the yard so maybe that explains the large number of resident snakes.

I've lived in Tipawan 4 for a month and didn't run into a single snake, so I was thinking that maybe the further away you move from the hills (for example), the less chances of running into a snake. Or somethng like that.

I think living in Thailand, it's a certainty that you will come into contact with Snakes at some stage & the best thing you can do is educate yourself on them..

• 2 weeks later...

I've only seen snakes a couple of times, but my wife (Thai) is absolutely terrified of them. I'm not convinced she's seen them often either, She is also afraid of some form of gekko or gila that is supposed to be very dangerous. I've seen them at night a few times, they were about 35 - 40 cm and sent her running. Will these also attack dogs or vice versa?

I've seen them at night a few times, they were about 35 - 40 cm and sent her running. Will these also attack dogs or vice versa?

You must mean tokays (called that by Thais because they make a loud noise when looking for a mate that sounds like that). We call them Gecos in America. They do get big and have a nasty bite (non poisonous, but painful) and won't let go or so I've heard, but they are not aggressive and only eat insects so if you leave them alone they won't bite you. My dogs kill them all the time and never seem to have been bitten by one that I can tell.

They do seem to only come out at night to feed. They will hang around an outside light if you have one on to eat the insects it attracts. They get much bigger than the standard (gray) lizard you see here and have spots.

Here's info and photos:

Tokay

We live to the west of the town in Nong Korn surrounded by pineapple fields and scrubland, some of our neighbours when walking their dogs often see everything from very large pythons to cobras and a few other wierd and wonderful looking ones but not lost any animals yet. We have a Koi pond in our garden which of course also means we probably have more than our share of frogs and toads but strangely we get few snakes in the garden and I don't know whether the fact that we have an electronic pest repeller in the house has any effect on snakes, certainly have only seen just one rat in the garden in 2 years since installing it, and very few of the multitude of creepy crawlies are seen either. Perhaps this repeller is doing an excellent job and might be worth your while considering.

These electronic repellers do nothing its a myth plenty of info on google etc and other threads.

These electronic repellers do nothing its a myth plenty of info on google etc and other threads.

Who rattled your cage this morning then with an aggressive response to an old posting.

They seem to work very well for us, very few snakes despite an abundance of food while my neighbours certainly get more of them than us, one rat seen in 2 years and only stayed for one day and very few other creepie crawlies are ever seen. If you don't think they work then don't buy one. SIMPLE.

Who rattled your cage this morning then with an aggressive response to an old posting.

They seem to work very well for us, very few snakes despite an abundance of food while my neighbours certainly get more of them than us, one rat seen in 2 years and only stayed for one day and very few other creepie crawlies are ever seen. If you don't think they work then don't buy one. SIMPLE.

Do a bit of research............... or keep believeing in fairy tales, good luck!

I dont "think", I did some research, thats the difference but hey you keep believing.

Edited by yabaaaa

And yet another idiotic moron gets allowed to post.

Moderator warning: Please review forum rules 1 and 4 so you know not to make posts like that in the future.

Sorry HH, but posters like him make my blood boil, I politely give some helpful advice that seems to work for me and someone like that who seems to go looking to cause aggro basically tells me I'm talking rubbish. It won't happen again - least without good cause anyway.

Moderator warning: Please review forum rules 1 and 4 so you know not to make posts like that in the future.

Sorry HH, but posters like him make my blood boil, I politely give some helpful advice that seems to work for me and someone like that who seems to go looking to cause aggro basically tells me I'm talking rubbish. It won't happen again - least without good cause anyway.

Being helpful means giving out facts, not hearsay, how would you feel if many people bought what you use and found it to be useless as a lot of people clearly have done and received refunds from various countries? Dubious claims from manufacturers all unproven, if they worked dont you think every shop and warehouse in the world would have them?, pest controllers would be out of a job, they aren't.

HERE don't take my word for it, like what you want me to do with "your word" take the advice of a Professor who is an expert on this type of device in the link below.

There is no aggression here except yours, my first post on this has NO aggression in it it merely states a fact. Because I dont agree with what you post it seems you dont like it.

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1663/eb1663.html

Edited by yabaaaa

I simply repeat an earlier short one liner I posted a short while ago, my last word on the subject - post whatever reply you like , I wont be reading it.

Being helpful means giving out facts, not hearsay, how would you feel if many people bought  what you use and found it to be useless as  a lot of people clearly  have done and received refunds from various countries? Dubious claims from manufacturers all unproven, if they worked dont you think every shop and warehouse in the world would have them?, pest controllers would be out of a  job, they aren't.

HERE don't take my word for it, like what you want me to do with "your word" take the advice of a Professor who is an expert on this type of device in the link below.

There is no aggression here except yours, my first post on this has NO aggression in it it merely states a  fact. Because I dont agree with what you post it seems you dont like it.

http://cru.cahe.wsu....663/eb1663.html

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a nice one yesterday along a back Road " accross the Tracks "..

I guess it was a Rat Snake of some kind & it defo was not a Cobra or Viper, decent size, 3ft maybe a little more..

I thre it a Bone & whistled at it as i do most of the other Animals round here but it didn't do much good..

• 1 year later...

In 2006, when we had very heavy rains here, local flooding everywhere, I saw a very dark, huge Cobra, on Palm Hills golf course. It was at least 2 1/2 to 3 meters long, almost black in color, with what looked like a white or cream colored patch on the back of the head or neck, and around 3 inches in diameter. It was having nothing to do with our foursome & caddies, (thank Buddha) it streaked across the 13th tee boxes, and was off. All the caddies yelled Moo Hoow, and jumped back, they were scared, and I could see why, this snake was huge, very fast, and could be on you instantly, if it had a mind to. One thing that impressed me was, as it made it's way across the course, with it's head raised off the ground, several inches, and was so fast that you could not out run it for very long, if it came for you.

So far this was the biggest Cobra I have seen in Thailand, but of course I have only seen a few.post-84328-0-63237600-1336256787_thumb.j

Edited by PingManDan

Up until a couple of years ago we had one that size living in our garden and surrounding empty lots. We saw it many times and our gardener tried to catch it a couple of times (he said it was living in a drainpipe) using frogs as bait. That's when I learned not to be afraid of cobras as if they know a human is in the area they will move away and yes at a faster speed than you can run. I know because I tried to get photos of that one a couple of times and it would not allow me to get within twenty meters before bolting. Just don't corner one. Always leave them a way out...

I say that because my dogs did corner a smaller one behind a big flower pot sitting against the house. This one looked exactly like the one in your photo above and was a spitting cobra. By the time I got on the scene three out of four of the two dogs eyes were swollen shut from the venom the snake shot at them. I don't like killing snakes in general and will only do it if my dogs or family are in danger but I had to do away with that one because I couldn't deter the dogs and one of them was going to get bitten if I didn't do something. After a visit to the vet, some eye wash, and a couple of days the dogs were back to normal.