Failed Visa Trip

I know Australia and the US prides itself about all people being equal.

Really? Well that's a new one. Maybe Aus is now allowing poor people as immigrants and US is going to lock everyone up in a prison camp in Cuba without trial?

What about being a woman in Afgan since you seem to have sensitivites in that area, then of course if it is done in the name of Islam anything is ok.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Yo...I suspect it is something like you say...but maybe it's just that they forgot that there are farangs under 50 who are as financiall secure or more secure than many people over 50!!! i sometimes think it is just an oversite on their part and not a thought out policy. i mean, what would be the difference for them if the foreigner was over or under 50. as long as they have them money and spend it on living expenses in thailand it's all the same. younger "retireds" would actually be more profitable one would think because they would have a longer life expectancy or spend money longer in the Kingdom than older people.

Also, most other SE Asian countries that have "retirement" visa programs (I am thinking of Malaysia and the Philippines here) include people of all ages in them. The only usual requirement for a younger person to get one of these resident-retirement visas is that they usually have to deposit in a bank about 1.5 to 2x the deposit required of an older person. Again, I suspect because of their longer life expectancy. I have discussed the Malaysian retirement program in the past and the requirements and the Philippine Retirement Authority has a similiar program where for a deposit of $50-$75k, anyone can obtain one of the visa statusses and stay and even invest in the country. there are various other benefits and rules but basically, for a relatively small payment (bank deposit that gathers interest and can be taken out of country if one returns to ones home country) one can stay as long as one wants. Again, no age restrictions...only that younger applicants have to put in around $75 versus the $50 for older folks. Also, unlike the Thai Elite Card, you do not "buy" this visa status but place the money on deposit in a Philippine bank. If and when you repatriate back home, you can take the money with you. With Elite, you buy the card and receive the benefits. Does anyone know if you really can get a 5-year no visa run stay with this card. Also, is it renewable (for free) after 5 years or do you have to buy another card.

INDO SIAM

Very well said. Wake up call has been given many times recently. Valuing yourself

more than the host does, is not going to get you far. As a rapidly advancing country Thailand is more or less requiring Western people with long term intentions

to have the same they would need back home for living and not working (most with common sense would have it anyways and not be some moron that shows up on the doorstep for ever).

It sure will be more attractive for those that do have means to be a benefit rather than a low wage dreamer that is going to fall through the cracks because he found a cheap good country to do so. I guess Thailand is trying to say no more Yugo's ( You go ever 30 days, I am sure most of you know of this vehicle). Anyways well said INDO SIAM. I think I may find value for the 30 years + spent working so I could have a good life somewhere away from home. No scammers schemers and hard luck story tellers.

What about being a woman in Afgan

Err!? Yes, what about them? I'm not an Afghan woman, in fact, I don't think that I've ever met one. Have I missed something?

The fact you use this US is going to lock everyone up in a prison camp in Cuba without trial and no mention of the people they held prisoner Afgan women and citizens of course it was done in the name of islam makes it ok. Being fecious Adolf was kinder to some he supressed, he had a few favorable peons.

Ten years is a long time to get away with being here on tourist visas.

I've been here for nine months and worried that my next trip to Malaysia to apply for a non immigrant visa may be refused, as I don't yet have a work permit.

Am I being paranoid, or what?

By the way, does anyone know how easy or tough it is to get visas in Laos and Cambodia?

Rob

To some degree Siam you have some good points. I once mentioned some time ago that many have abused the system and taken pure advantage that was meant for its specific reasons. Many have gone way beyond that and have continuously declared that they are tourist after being there 2 years, 3 years and so on down the line.

I suspect many did this to avoid genuine detection. One of them is the Bank rules, another is the requirements and so on. They wanted to stay hidden and pass the time and have fun and perhaps mooch off of people that they can work on etc.

That is why Thailand is starting to tighten up the belts a bit little by little to force these abusers to either comply to their regulations or pop yourself out of Thailand one way or another.

Daveyo

Someone may know but I know a couple people who got a business visa which from what I remember allowed them to stay 1 year without leaving ( not sure on the not leaving though). It involved looking at a little guest house which I believe they bought the lease for $20G. They only needed a copy of

the owners license of the business and a letter of their intent on purchase of the business, it may of had a stamp on it from the police or lawyer sent to the consulate where visa was requested.

Johnnie B

The under 50 rules may be a test on the way you made your money. If you can move alot of money at that age without your home country stopping it, most likely

you earned it legally. Having enough money under 50 could speak in itself that you are of good character (even though still a bit in the ###### raiser age).

How many people would sell off the house and belongings and run off to Thailand with the family cash if it was easy to stay for ever for young people. If you can afford to benefit investing and still have money to live on sure they should give you a visa but not if you only have a few (U.S. $200,000) This is by far not enough

to live a retirement life for ever, under 50 years old, considering it would have to last you 15 or so years before government pension is received. Young pensioners normally do not have much savings or have much of a pension on the average.

The laws are pretty much set the way they think will benefit their putting up with us in their country.

Khun,

you are somewhat dodging the question. other countries with "retirement" or long-term stay programs for foreigners generally have a place for people regardless of age. If you have the money, regardless of age, you are welcome to apply for their programs and if you qualify, stay hassle free. NO VISA RUN OR INVEST IN A BUSINESS BS!!! There seem to be many people around this board that can't comprehend not being members of the working class. However, there are many many guys in Bangkok and Pattaya who throught hard work or luck have the means to "retire" way before 50. This doesn't involve selling the family silver and leaving mom, siblings, auts and uncles broke back in the States and running off to Thailand. These guys are already liquid and it's their own money. Many are in their mid-30s-40s. They have liquid assets of $500k to $5M...I have several friends this age living in Bangkok and Pattaya. They just would like to spend money in Thailand and live a pleasant life here...they don't ask for much in return. Maybe just a program that allows them do document their means and, like several neighboring countries, stay in-country without doing the visa runs every few months. We travel all around the region anyway, but would like to do it on our schedule and not the govenrments. Also, having a long-term stay visa would make it unnecessary to always to a visa run to a place with a friendly thai counsel or embassy.

Nobody is asking for special priviledges or anything. I and my friends would gladly like to see all the down and out farangs OUT of Thailand. They give us all a bad name and reputation. Many of us have made our mint already and are independent types to boot (that's why we ended up where we are...living in Thailand at a young age...by taking risks) but now want to relax. We don't necessarily want to start a business just to be able to legally stay. I think just our presence and the money spent in the thai economy should be suffienent incentive for someone in authority to examine this issue.

Hi All, I don't want to get into your debate about the rights & wrongs of the immigration policies of LOS but there may be ways, for Morphic & others, to get a non imm O visa.

A female friend of mine applied at the Thai Consulate in Hull, UK, for a Non O, she is 26, she does not have a lot of money, no job in LOS as yet but had her father guarantee her, she printed the letter on their web site that basically states that he will support her financially if she come into problems and posted it with the fee & passport & a stamped addressed envelope & received it back with the Non O visa 5 working days later.

There must be other freindly consulates around the world that these guys who meet none of the other requirements, such as working, business owner, retired etc could visit & get the visa on proof of their financial status in their own countries, anyone know of any? I think that for these guys, spending the money to visit a consulate either in their home contry or another could ultimatly save them a lot of hassle in the future.

I never touched this thread before - 'just went through and read the whole thing - ROTFLMAO.

I heard something REALLY interesting this morning - a client of mine with a Class O visa was refused the right to open a passbook savings account - into which he planned to wire the money to qualify for a long-term entry permit extension - because he didn't have a work permit (he has a non-immigrant entry permit). I thought he must have gotten into some confusion, so I had my Office Manager call her friend who works at Bangkok Bank - and - guess what - her friend confirmed that there is some new rule out restricting opening of new bank accounts - even passbook savings accounts - for foreigners without work permits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kan Win:-

Nice one Steve, :o

And with the restriction on bring in Foreign Currency cash into Thailand, say 10,000 U$ carried by yourself, how can you pay for the 1,000,000 Elite Card may I ask ? Credit Card ? B)

Mai Ko Chai ? :D