Multiple meters, one property?

CDNinKS

I (my wife) has 1 rai of land. We have built a small house on it now, have a 15 amp meter to supply it, which is all good. I had planned when we built the main house I would just get another meter installed (from a different phase) and put a 30 amp meter on. Went to the PEA yesterday about other things and they told my wife that we can not put 2 meters to one property with out splitting the chanote. Is that true??? What about a guy who has property (one Chanote) and builds an apartment building with 6 apartments? Can he not put 6 meters?

If this is the case, then I guess my next option would be to install 3 phase power to the property and use one phase for the small house and the other 2 phases for the main house.

This is a question I was very interested in also. A six-year employee of PEA says NO WAY can one residential property have more than one meter.

My idea was to leave the maid quarters and pool electrical on the old one-phase meter and the new 3-phase on the new meter. That has now been shot down.

My wife also said she has never known anyone to have two meters on one house property. Families with multiple properties share and split the cost of the one meter.

The PEA/MEA supply one meter for the whole electrical installation.

You then supply at your own cost one or more sub-meters to record consumption in specific areas, eg individual apartments. You will require a sub -board and sub-mains for each individual living area.

You then supply at your own cost one or more sub-meters to record consumption in specific areas, eg individual apartments. You will require a sub -board and sub-mains for each individual living area.

Thanks for the reply, ok well I guess that makes sense, sort of :whistling:

PEA suggested that when we are ready for the main house to have a 30 amp meter installed and supply both house with that. I'm not really happy with that, so I think I will probably pay to have 3 phase connected to the property and then split off a phase (and possibly a meter) to the small house. Nothing money can't fix I guess :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply, ok well I guess that makes sense, sort of :whistling:

PEA suggested that when we are ready for the main house to have a 30 amp meter installed and supply both house with that. I'm not really happy with that, so I think I will probably pay to have 3 phase connected to the property and then split off a phase (and possibly a meter) to the small house. Nothing money can't fix I guess :rolleyes:

2 Tabien Baan usually allows 2 meters, even if on one Chanote.

A friend of mine rents a couple shop houses on Samui. They are in a string of about 20 shops that are all owned by one old lady. They have their own meters that are PEA meters and they pay PEA directly.

So there is an example of more than one meter (PEA Meter) on one chanote.

So we can get another Tambien Baan for the other house?

The small office building we have for our wormfarm is on the same site as our house. We had no trouble in getting a separate meter installed under the company name and each month we get two electricity bills sent to the same address. Before we did it my wife said no way would the PEA install a second meter, but when we asked, no problem.

A friend of mine rents a couple shop houses on Samui. They are in a string of about 20 shops that are all owned by one old lady. They have their own meters that are PEA meters and they pay PEA directly.

So there is an example of more than one meter (PEA Meter) on one chanote.

So we can get another Tambien Baan for the other house?

If your location requires a buildingpermit, you MUST have another Tabien Baan for the other house.

Building 8 houses on one Chanote is common, since only local permit is needed for 8 units, and each get their own Tabien Baan and thus own PEA meter if required. Power gets less expensive though if the 8 units have one large 2-timesone ("commercial") meter, and then private meter for each unit

"David" will be 'non plussed'. :whistling:

?????

If your location requires a building permit, you MUST have another Tabien Baan for the other house

OK. yes, was told that if we would have said there was 2 houses (buildings) when we got the original permit they could have approved both on the one permit, so I assume one Tambien Baan in that case. The building permit was free, so big drama in getting another when time to build the second the house. Actually having 2 Tambien Baans might be beneficial :whistling:

So if there are 2 Tambien Baans does that mean 2 mailing address's?

"David" will be 'non plussed'. :whistling:

?????

If your location requires a building permit, you MUST have another Tabien Baan for the other house

OK. yes, was told that if we would have said there was 2 houses (buildings) when we got the original permit they could have approved both on the one permit, so I assume one Tambien Baan in that case. The building permit was free, so big drama in getting another when time to build the second the house. Actually having 2 Tambien Baans might be beneficial :whistling:

So if there are 2 Tambien Baans does that mean 2 mailing address's?

2 Tabien Baan is def beneficial. One for your wife and one for you, so when you have your own(no resident) she doesnt need to sign for you :)

You get 2 mailing adresses

• 1 year later...

You can also have separate meters for each installation, they will each have a set of consumers mains. Metering will be one location. Each tenant will have their own account.

How is the metering actually connected? One PEA meter and the submeters are PEA with one set of consumers mains ? Or the above?

As in most things in LOS, what is acceptable in one location may be verboten in another. In Hua Hin, the meter is tied to the Tambien Baan. One meter per TB only. If you want to put more meters after the one assigned to the TB, that is up to the owner.

So in my situation I could have had 1) one meter supplying both houses (with sub meter if I wanted) or 2) have 2 TBs' and two separate meters and two separate accounts. I choose option number 2.

As in most things in LOS, what is acceptable in one location may be verboten in another. In Hua Hin, the meter is tied to the Tambien Baan. One meter per TB only. If you want to put more meters after the one assigned to the TB, that is up to the owner.

So in my situation I could have had 1) one meter supplying both houses (with sub meter if I wanted) or 2) have 2 TBs' and two separate meters and two separate accounts. I choose option number 2.

and as the unit price goes up according to total consumption at each PEA meter, two meters electricity will always cost less

and as the unit price goes up according to total consumption at each PEA meter, two meters electricity will always cost less

Good point

Not quite correct, there may be 2 service charges instead of 1.

Depends on if you have a fixed tariff ( fixed charge per kWh or a two part tariff).

If you have sub meters that are not owned by the PEA you will have one service charge and the consumption in kWhs is recorded on each sub meter and then deducted from the readings of the PEA meter.

I'm pretty sure my wife has told me that if your consumption is below a certain level, there is no charge at all. This has never happened to us in any of the house we have ever been in, but she has told me about this in regards to some of her family members living in let's say not very advanced dwellings.

I'm pretty sure kata is correct on the 2 tiered consumption rate though. So in my situation with one meter for the small guest house it should almost always be below the threshold.

Time will tell once we move into the main house and see what the actual consumption/bills are on the 2 meters.

I'm pretty sure my wife has told me that if your consumption is below a certain level, there is no charge at all. This has never happened to us in any of the house we have ever been in, but she has told me about this in regards to some of her family members living in let's say not very advanced dwellings.

I'm pretty sure kata is correct on the 2 tiered consumption rate though. So in my situation with one meter for the small guest house it should almost always be below the threshold.

Time will tell once we move into the main house and see what the actual consumption/bills are on the 2 meters.

If you use 90 units or less you get them free. If you use more than 90 units you pay for it all.

We had a free period when we moved into our house part way through the month...never happened since.

If you use 90 units or less you get them free. If you use more than 90 units you pay for it all.

OK, good to know. So if we don't have anyone in the guest house and I unplug the fridge, I might not pay anything on that meter.

You should check to see if there is a service charge (THB per month). If no consumption is recorded on the meter for the month or the kWh consumed is less than the service charge you may not be billed for that amount. May depend on your electricity tariff and type of consumers, ie rural consumers, farms etc.

It is effectively a subsidy on electricity costs fiananced by the government. It would appear that the subsidy has now been discontinued.

Edited by electau