Carrefour Closing Down? Is This True?

Crypt36

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the two subjects are not even remotely associated exactly why did you think it was relevant to post a remark that you knew American members of this forum would at the very least be insulted by if you were not intending on that happening?

I'm an American...who can proudly state that he's never set foot in a Wal*Mart!

Very impressive. Buying your clothes at the Woolworths in West Virginia probably got you lots of hillbilly girls. :P

Ya but the same board shorts are probably supplied from the same place. Not to many hillbillies here to care either.

I don't see a problem with having a Wallmart here, maybe it would even broaden the available goods. As it is it seems like the big 3 (Big C, Lotus, Carrefour) carry more or less the same stuff, not much difference.

Yes, the "stuff" is pretty much the same, but that is where the similarity ends. Carrefour has a much better bakery than the others and gets a 7.77465 (out of 10.0); Big C is generally "OK" and gets a 5.56722 (out of 10.0), and dragging up the tail with nothing to commend it is Trashco Lotus with a 3.54211 (given out of pity). Thank God for Makro, which gets a solid 9.011, and would get a 9,99 if it would broaden its products and be more of a "one stop" shop -- not there yet. There is clearly a place for Walmart -- let's hope! I did not mention Foodland or Villa, which are a subject unto themselves.

Edited by Thailaw

This doesnt seem to have stopped Tesco from becoming Thailands largest retailer...

The Central Group is Thailands largest retailer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Group The largest retailer in Thailand.

Big C,Robinson Department Store, Tops & Central Super Markets, Power Buy, Super Sports, Office Supply. No to mention all of their Malls in Thailand Like Central World in Bangkok, 2 malls in Chiang Mai 12 in the country.. Tesco is not in the same league.

Carrefour bakery may be nice, but check out the cockroaches. Just stand still and observe the bread baskets for a minute and you will see them "go live".

What is the problem. They do not charge extra for all that protein.

Albertsons wanted to get out and about a while ago,but I know Piggly Wiggly are pretty much an east coast outfit ,but they were really into expanding into Asia a few years ago.

I think Tesco will get the Carrefour site and shut down their north and south Pattaya outlets.

spelling

Edited by jori

According to Breaking news by the <newspaper that we do not mention here> Berli Jucker Plc. is interested in acquiring Carrefour.

Tesco shareholders in the UK have also been urged to approve a bid.

According to Breaking news by the <newspaper that we do not mention here> Berli Jucker Plc. is interested in acquiring Carrefour.

Tesco shareholders in the UK have also been urged to approve a bid.

I would place bets on Tesco as they have masses of cash reserves.

If they did buy, I cant see any need to close the other stores in Pattaya. A central one could easily co-exist with the existing.

I'm surprised LuLu hypermarket group hasn't looked at moving in.

They have strong export ties with Thailand and recently won this year’s ‘Thailand’s Best Friend Award’ by the Thailand Ministry of Commerce. They have stores all over the region including the middle east and are one of the better stores I've shopped in.

• 3 months later...

I read this week that Big C bought Carrefour. I cannot imagine they will close Carrefour, possibly one of their stores may go, and will they re-badge the Carrefour stores? I hope not. I do like the option of shopping @ Cf but they are overpriced, on many items.

If the two subjects are not even remotely associated exactly why did you think it was relevant to post a remark that you knew American members of this forum would at the very least be insulted by if you were not intending on that happening?

Bacause the truth hurts...and it was completely true...and I'm an American...who can proudly state that he's never set foot in a Wal*Mart!

:o You can't beat the prices at WAL MART

**************************************************************************************

It is always a chuckle how Americans bad mouth China all the time... those "communists"...they have too much power; yet everything you see and buy at 'Walmart is made in China. When you suggest boycoting t Chinese products it is basically impossible since one could not survive. Even some of the American flags are MADE IN CHINA.

It was my understanding that Big C bought out Carrefour but will not rebrand it, instead they will continue using the Carrefour brand and name.

As such I'm not sure if much will change....

This I gained from 'Barstool talk' with a bunch of my Thai friends - I'm not sure how accurate this information is...

I doubt if they will be allowed to continue to use the Carrefour name, however i can imagine they will continue to use the existing Carrefour business model - ie: carrying the same line of products/utilising same suppliers/retaining staff, they may rebrand as BigC Extra/Plus/Euro or something like that, but hey you never know, maybe for once Barstool Talk may prove to be correct!!

From what I've read all the Carrefour stores will be re-badged as Big C. Though it will take until 2013 I don't see much of Carrefour remaining once synergizing has been completed. This will include "improved purchasing terms, rationalised distribution and higher efficiency in the greater Bangkok area, where Big C’s presence will more than double,".

I think what a lot of that means is Big C will put the screws to its suppliers for better terms given their increased purchasing power. Tacking on parts of the Carrefour model just doesn't fit in with high volume purchasing. Not likely to see a lot of the specialty items i.e. French cheese, wines, olive oil etc. At least not at the current Carrefour pricing levels.

BTW, Bloomberg reports, "Carrefour SA, the world’s second- largest retailer, canceled plans to sell its businesses in Malaysia and Singapore after a strategic review, according to a person familiar with the situation."

-redwood

• 1 month later...

Bacause the truth hurts...and it was completely true...and I'm an American...who can proudly state that he's never set foot in a Wal*Mart!

Oh, 'cause the long walk to the store from the parking lot would be too strenuous . . . . No reason for pride there.

Me, I shop at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, AND at WalMart, among other stores, when I'm back in the States. I don't see any problem.

Be great if Thailand had WalMart. Soon we'll have an Ikea anyway.

After truging round Ikea here in the UK yesterday I came accross the perfect table for my condo, so just Googled "Ikea+Thailand" and see they are building their first store in Bangna, Bangkok so hope they will be opening on soon in Pattaya as well.

They're looking to sell all their stores in Thailand and in the region, asking between USD 800 mill and USD 1 bill., industry watchers reckon that Tesco may buy them but not at that price.

Big C have bought all their Thai stores. Carrefour also had all their outlets in Malaysia + two in Singapore up for sale but have now taken them off the market.

I've been a grown-up now for a considerable time and I don't scratch a living wearing a uniform, so I am unaccustomed to being shouted at. For this reason I no longer shop at Tesco's or Big C where they bellow at shoppers with portable karaoke machines.

Carrefour is not exactly a relaxing shopping experience (mid to high 60's dB), but at least I don't get shouted at (if I avoid weekends and holidays) I can only hope, feebly, that Big C will resist the temptation to up the volume in Carrefour stores.

There were many gaps in stock on the shelves at On Nut Carrefour on Wednesday, but I'm not sure if that wasn't just the mid-week slump in stock-keeping.

Carrefour bakery may be nice, but check out the cockroaches. Just stand still and observe the bread baskets for a minute and you will see them "go live".

even the cockroaches d'ont like the bread in the other stores!!!

I've been a grown-up now for a considerable time and I don't scratch a living wearing a uniform, so I am unaccustomed to being shouted at. For this reason I no longer shop at Tesco's or Big C where they bellow at shoppers with portable karaoke machines.

Carrefour is not exactly a relaxing shopping experience (mid to high 60's dB), but at least I don't get shouted at (if I avoid weekends and holidays) I can only hope, feebly, that Big C will resist the temptation to up the volume in Carrefour stores.

There were many gaps in stock on the shelves at On Nut Carrefour on Wednesday, but I'm not sure if that wasn't just the mid-week slump in stock-keeping.

I find it hard to believe a grown-up living in Pattaya would complain about noise levels anywhere in the city. I've never been aware of being shouted at in any store. I'll have to pay more attention to the noise next time I'm in Tescos or Big-C to get a clue what this person is talking about.

Why wait when you can get them as take-out?

11072009021.jpg

[That's how I returned it to the store, with a note]

Edited by phaethon

Why wait when you can get them as take-out?

11072009021.jpg

[That's how I returned it to the store, with a note]

Shouldn't this post in the "Ham and cheese sandwich" thread?I agree 100% with you that you returned the item.

Who in their right mind wants to pay 29 Baht for a single cockroach.