Semi-automatic Clothes Washer - Spin Tub Balance

We've got one of those semi-automatic washing machines with separate tubs for washing and the spin cycle.

The spin tub seems to be very loosely mounted and starts whacking against the body of the washer every time it begins to spin, even with a very light load.

I opened the thing up and checked the springs, rubber dampers and all. Everything seems to be as designed. I don't see any way to tighten up the springs or otherwise adjust the balance of the tub.

Anyone have a clue as to how I can fix this thing so that it is not so noisy and doesn't require constant attention during the spin?

TIA

Edit: Of course, I mean "Clothes Washer"....

Edit: Sure you did. :o

Edited by penzman

I had a balance problem with our old one. Found a sock and a pair of undies wrapped around the spinner's shaft, right under and between the plastic basket/tub and the machine's frame. Ripped 'em out, problem solved. I didn't need to open up the machine, just reached under the spin basket.

Edited by penzman

If older the springs have probably loosened and need to be replaced. Have also had to do that on a single tub washer. No way you can see it but perhaps if you check a new unit (if they still have same model) you can feel a difference.

I dug into this machine a little deeper (looking for those undies!) and found that the rubber bushing that goes between the shaft and the tub housing is cracked and quite worn. Looks like a bitch to replace. And, quite a bit of the steel innards of this old machine are quite rusty.

Might be better to replace rather than repair. Lotus has a similar model by LG on sale for 3K baht and a larger one for 5....

If replacing why not buy a single tub washing machine?  I have not been very happy with LG products myself.

Good question. I don't know enough about the washers here to make an intelligent decision, so would appreciate any guidance or recommendations.

The water pressure is so low here that we have to load the water with a bucket. I'm not planning on staying long enough to make a pump and tank worthwhile, so I'm stuck with bucket loading for a while. This seems to work OK with the double tub machine we have.

Would we be able to do the same (bucket load) with a single tub machine or are they too "automatic" to override with a manual fill?

Any recommendation on manufacturer? My girlfriend seemed to think the LG products were good, but I'm open to other ideas.

As always, thanks for your help.

Should not be a problem doing the water by hand with a single tub - and you will take it with you to new place.

We have been happy with the local made PAL washing machines as they are easy to get parts for. Samsung I consider higher quality than LG for Korean products. Have usually been happy with National/Panasonic products (except for wall air conditioners years ago). Also larger tub may be desired if you desire to not have to do every day or two (but that's the wifes area of expertise).

It is kind of back breaking to more wet clothes from one tub to another and then to the line so the one tub should help back problems. It is also higher social status. :o