Immigration Office, Visa Extension

Hello!

I only have permission of stay till Monday 19th of July and planned to go to Laos this day. Unfortunately I got seriously sick and maybe need to see the doctor or hospital. I am not in a condition to travel. So I have 2 questions:

Can I prolong the Permission of stay? Can I get more than 7 days which might be necessary at it is influenza, if I kindly ask?

Can my Girlfriend do this for me as I hardly can move out of my bed?

Thanks for you help!

Andreas

Helping my friend quickly. I recommended him to ask his questions here.

He's on a permission of stay granted, without visa, on arrival (the 30 days stamp) and he would like to know:

- whether there are chances that he gets more than a 7-days extension at immigration (knowing that he's sick and that's the reason why he's not traveling out of the Kingdom)?

- does he need to show up in person at the Imm. Police office or can his girlfriend do it for him?

He is currently in Chiang Mai.

Edited by MART

Get a certificate from his doctor stating that he is too ill to leave the house and to travel for x number of days, fill out the application form for extension of stay and have him sign it, get a signed note from him authorising you to deposit his application on his behalf, take all this and his passport and arrival card and photocopies of all this to the immigration office. Download the application form here:

bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/tm7.doc

--

Maestro

If he is under treatment at a hospital, ask the hospital if they have liaison with immigration. Most major private hospitals have and can take care of immigration for you.

I concur; most, if not all the higher end hospitals which cater to foreigners have at least a person or often an entire department which liaises with Thai Immigrations for medical extensions.

In fact, Bumrungrad Hospital which used to send all their paperwork to Changwattana for extensions now processes so many medical extensions of stay that one day a week an Immigrations Officer goes to the hospital to approve them.

I would drag myself to immigration. I think that will be less cost and hassle of all these notes and whatnot. In the ned, they can always say no and if you've only got a bad case of the flu and not in hospital. They may actually deny you with the note. Up to them.

Didn't Bumie used to have an Immigration office inside the hospital?

Thanks a lot for your help!

My friend got a certificate from the hospital and his GF went to Immigration and got a 15 days extension for him.

By the way the Imm. Office accepts only certificates from hospitals, not from clinics. And the certificate has to state how long the patient needs to recover.

Many thanks again from my friend, his GF and me for the help.