American Killer Tells Phuket Police 'It Was A Terrible Accident'

webfact

Alcohol can give you wings, then take away the sky. I think this guy is rightly in shock over what he did. With alcohol involved, it may well be that he didn't intend to kill her. Careful out there guys.

In the clip he seems arrogant, but he's being filmed and talking to a nice looking woman. People act different in front of the camera, and men try to impress women. But his statement about not using drugs could well be utter BS I think.

Edited by ding

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crazy story.

I googled his name and found this interview with him back when he played poker. A bit irrelevant but some people might be interested:

Actually, just watched all of it. It is relevant, the guys mad!

An interesting watch. I would classify this man as unstable and mad as a hatter. OCD? I certainly would not want to get him angry at me.

Thailand is not too much into the issues of a criminal's mental state of being, and they do not seem to be interested with a defense of temporary insanity.

I do not know the history of this man, nor do I know that any of his active duty exposed him to any kind of PTSS that would contribute to some sort of lingering mental impairment.

I am not defending this man. I truly feel sympathy for the Thai girl that lost her life. Picking a mate to live with works both ways. I know Thai women can bring out the worst in a man, and the ones from the seedy venues have no scruples in doing so; even to the point that they cannot see that they are playing a deadly game, as demonstrated here. It seems one never expects the average guy to resort to an attempt to end ones life when these Thai women play their little games; games that even the most innocent foreigner does not understand and that can send them into weeks of depression, rage, torment and self-guilt; all because the Thai girl's behavior of survival is not written anywhere in the owner's manual when one comes to Thailand. For one to say that one has never ever entertained homicidal thoughts aimed at a national here, would be a flat out lie. Whatever the cause or reason, we have all felt it at one time or another. The sane ones walk away.

Walking away never caused anyone to get hurt. Not letting someone walk away, and instead hounding and collaring them with pain and torment that triggers this sort of behavior is a risk that a lot of Thai women take. I know that a Thai woman with no scruples will hound a man, especially a foreigner, because they have the entire backing of the male counterparts, and more. No one knows the part this woman played in contributing to this man's rage up to the moment he snapped. There is no mention of premeditation, so it must be a crime of omission (i.e. emotion).

A few months ago, I heard on Pattaya radio news about a Thai man who refused to believe his ex GF when she told him to take a hike. He stalked her for over a year, and her complaints to the police availed her nothing. Finally the ex BF, in a depressed rage, overpowered her and stabbed her body many times. I forget the number, but I was shocked to hear it.

None of this is justified, but it takes two sick individuals to tango, and they both run the risk of the other calling their bluff. No pun intended. I believe that water attracts its own level, and I am sure that this is the case here. Again, nevertheless, my deepest sympathies to the deceased.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Vicky Coren is saying that Fanelli is backtracking on that admission of guilt and claiming it was self defense.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/aug/08/naomi-campbell-diamonds-victoria-coren

It's near the bottom.

There's also a fund raiser being organized to try to help the family if anyone is interested.

http://www.billrini.com/2010/08/18/fund-raiser-family-wanphen-pienjai/

• 5 months later...

fanelli.jpg

Murderous "Mad Yank" Poker Player Found Sane By Thai Doctors

The poker player known on the circuit as Ron "Mad Yank" Fanelli has now been cleared to face a murder trial after Thai psychiatrists assessed him to be sane.

Ron Fanelli, 37, was arrested back in July 2010, when he confessed to stabbing Thai bar hostess Wanpen Pianchai and then stuffing her body into a travel bag before dumping it by a remote Phuket roadside.

However, in an ironic twist the poker player with the nickname "Mad Yank" had legal proceedings against him interrupted until he underwent psychiatric evaluation.

Apparently, the possibility that Fanelli might actually have gone mad had to be taken seriously after his behaviour became increasingly erratic, although skeptics were more inclined to believe he was simply playing the "insanity card."

Nonetheless, after five months of tests Fanelli has now been assessed sane by psychiatrists at Suan Saranrom Hospital in Surat Thani and is free to face trial in a Thai court.

Fanelli was known as a noisy, opinionated, right-wing, ex-US navy officer who was given his poker nickname "Mad Yank" on account of his volatile temperament.

Fanelli enjoyed a hot streak playing poker in London back in 2004. His biggest scores at the time included 2nd place at the £500 Gutshot Poker Festival Main Event for $19,314, and victory at the £100 Harbour Lights Poker Festival for $15,720.

However, his poker success was fleeting and according to poker player and columnist Victoria Coren, when Fanelli’s luck finally ran out his ego was severely dented.

When Coren once asked Fanelli what was the worst thing he’d ever ever done, he famously replied:

"Me? I’m an angel. I’ve never done anything bad. Well, I guess I’ve made a few people cry. I don’t like getting unlucky. There was that time I told everyone at the table I hoped they’d die of cancer. Other than that, I’ve never done anything bad."

After moving to Thailand, he apparently used prostitutes and suffered a string of unsuccessful relationships.

Eventually, he must have snapped and later confessed to the police that the young, lady's murder was "a horrible, horrible accident."

Ron "Mad Yank" Fanelli now faces the prospect of a lifetime spent locked up in a hot, cramped Thai prison.

http://www.onlinepoker.net/poker-news/general-poker-news/murderous-mad-yank-poker-player-sane-thai-doctors/9354

Online Poker News - January 31, 2011

I've never really gotten my head around the whole "innocent by virtue of insanity" concept.

Do sane people stab and kill hookers and desperately throw their lifeless body into a suitcase and etc etc?

Isn't this kind of thing pretty much a huge clue pointing to some serious screws loose?

I think he should get the guillotine. But I've never gotten my head around the whole "temporary insanity" defence.

• 9 months later...

No appeal in Fanelli case: Phuket prosecutor

PHUKET: The Phuket Public Prosecutor's Office will not file an appeal over sentencing in the case of convicted murderer Ronald Fanelli, the Phuket Gazette has learned.

Follow this link:

Edited by webfact
story runs in Phuket