Which Fruit Is Your Favourite?

Thomas_Merton

Which Fruit is your favourite?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which of all these fruits, grown in Thailand, do you prefer?

Try to choose a favourite.

If this is impossible, please name in a post those fruits you regularly eat.

EDIT// or add any fruits I have missed, because it is only possible to list 20.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mango (grown in Thailand) :D

Closely followed by:

Rambutan, Pommel, Pineapple, Tamarind, Banana :D

& I work for a firm in UK that Import Vegetables and Fruit from around the world.

+ I am Buddhist so sampling is not a problem.

I am Intrigued, :o

Why do you ask? :D

Regards

Ivan

:D

Favorite has to be mango, followed by mangosteen.

But there are so many good ones, as the poll attests. Sometimes is great to just sit around with others casually eating lychee/rambutan/longan.

And, I can hardly resist durian, no matter what the time.

In the middle of a long bike ride I like to stop for an ice cold nam manao -- really hits the spot.

So many, so little time...

Very strange list Thomas...........you've missed most of the famous Thai fruits, including all my favourites.

My best three

Mangosteen

Guava

Jackfruit

followed by

Dragon fruit

Rambutan

Lam Yai

Lychee

Pomelo

I think the only three on your list that I eat reguarly is Banana ( small Thai ones),yellow mango & red papaya.

How many of you out there knew that a lot of Thai fruits are bi-sexual as well ( I mean bi-purpose of course. Just a pun,just a pun)

Green Papaya is a vegetable that turns into a fruit when ripe

Green Mango same

Jackfruit same (young green Jackfruit is used a lot in Malasyian cooking)

Green bananas same( although there is a variety as well that is used only for cooking)

In fact chillies are like that as well. Ones young, ones ripe. It is also a fact that these veg/fruits do not ripen further when removed from source.

Forgot to mention that one of my favorite daily treats is the glass of ice cold pomelo juice that I have each morning. This stuff is simply delicious. If you haven't tried it, buy a box in the fruit juice section of any of the larger markets. It think it's 59 baht a liter at Lotus just now.

I find this curious. How do you define "fruit" and "vegetable"?

I use the term fruit, when eating it for pleasure or for dessert. I class the same item as a vegatable when it is used for cooking a savoury dish. I know technically a 'fruit' is part of the plant that houses the reproductive organs, but lets just say in what I class as veg they are not yet mature. I used to be a vegatable, but now I am a fruit, soon to be canned. :o

Forgot to mention that one of my favorite daily treats is the glass of ice cold pomelo juice that I have each morning. This stuff is simply delicious. If you haven't tried it, buy a box in the fruit juice section of any of the larger markets. It think it's 59 baht a liter at Lotus just now.

I drink quite a lot of pomelo juice also although it's a little too sweet for me so I mix it 1/3 lemon juice, 2/3 pomelo juice.

Regarding fruits, pomegranate has to be my favourite, has been since I was a kid. In addition, star gooseberry, fresh pomelo, lychee and rambutan.

Tubtim is good for you

- Clinical Nutrition, 2004

This randomized controlled study is the first to show that pomegranate juice may reduce the amount of plaque in the arteries of patients with heavy plaque buildup (severe carotid artery stenosis) as well as substantially benefiting several important blood parameters. Ten patients consumed 8 oz a day of POM Wonderful pomegranate juice for 1 year. Nine patients who did not consume pomegranate juice served as controls.

The thickness of the carotid artery wall (intima-media thickness, IMT) was measured and blood samples were taken at the beginning of the study and at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months. After 1 year, those patients who did not consume pomegranate juice showed a 9% increase in IMT, while those consuming juice showed a decrease of 30%. Furthermore, for those on pomegranate juice, systolic (but not diastolic) blood pressure was reduced by 21%, total antioxidant status of the blood increased by 130%, LDL oxidation decreased by 90%, antibodies to oxidized LDL decreased by 19% and serum paraoxonase 1 (PON1) increased by 83%. Major blood biochemical markers were not affected, including levels of LDL and HDL cholesterol. Benefits were maintained in five patients who continued pomegranate juice treatment for 3 years, with further improvements in serum lipid peroxidation.

I use the term fruit, when eating it for pleasure or for dessert. I class the same item as a vegatable when it is used for cooking a savoury dish. I know technically a 'fruit' is part of the plant that houses the reproductive organs, but lets just say in what I class as veg they are not yet mature. I used to be a vegatable, but now I am a fruit, soon to be canned. :D

Perfect....

:o

Mango (grown in Thailand) :D

Closely followed by:

Rambutan, Pommel, Pineapple, Tamarind, Banana :D

& I work for a firm in UK that Import Vegetables and Fruit from around the world.

+ I am Buddhist so sampling is not a problem.

I am Intrigued, :o

Why do you ask? :D

Regards

Ivan

:D

Curiosity.

Plus in a food forum on Thai food, there ought to be a section on fruit, don't you think?

Very strange list Thomas...........you've missed most of the famous Thai fruits, including all my favourites.

As I stated in anther posting, the poll format restricts the list to 20 choices.

I tried to include everything we have growing around our farm, but the main purpose was to stimulate a discussion on Thai fruit and hopefully pick up a few tips (I'm a consumer in this respect - we ran down our orchards when we went over to the goats).

Seems to be working, so far, don't you think?

Definately Mangosteen! Im lucky enough to work in a resort here that serves up the best quality mango, pomelo, papaya, mangosteen etc etc, every moring for brekkie. I dont know where they manage to get such top quality ripe fruit, definately better than what I buy at the market - And most of our guests think it looks far too weird and dont touch it. But I have a good feed every morning!!!

I find this curious. How do you define "fruit" and "vegetable"?

I use the term fruit, when eating it for pleasure or for dessert. I class the same item as a vegatable when it is used for cooking a savoury dish. I know technically a 'fruit' is part of the plant that houses the reproductive organs, but lets just say in what I class as veg they are not yet mature. I used to be a vegatable, but now I am a fruit, soon to be canned. :D

the shape of the can would be interesting Shady Lamp :o:D:D:D