Traditional Thai Massage Tip?

jimbbc

How much tip for a 200 baht traditional thai massage?

If good BIG TIP, :o

If not O Tip :D

easy :D

Realy "UP TO YOU"

Regards

Ivan

:D

As IvanLaw mentioned, depends on if you received good or poor service, and how generous you are.

20 baht (10%) would get you a smile and a thank you.

50 baht would probably get you a Big smile :D and a gracious thank you (and maybe even better service next time !).

I have never tipped and I have had over 100 massages. And is the massage on Soi Post Office legit? It says, "Where your dreams come true".

Only once in Phayao did a bad lady request a tip. I pretended I couldn't understand Thai. I still gave her over 20 baht in coins and she was still bitching. That is the only time I have been requested and have given a tip. I can say in Thai, "Tipping is not customary in Thailand". Please make it easy for the rest of us and stop throwing money at these people.

<20 baht (10%) would get you a smile and a thank you.

50 baht would probably get you a Big smile :o and a gracious thank you (and maybe even better service next time !)>

I pay 250 baht for a 90 minute massage and generally tip 20 or 40 baht, depending on what's in my wallet. If I get my favourite, P'Som, I tip 50. I do feel most ungenerous tipping only 20, especially when both the service and the massage is so good, but I'm not exactly earning an 'expat' salary.

Incidentally, the best massage I've had in Thailand (and I've had a lot) has been at this place, Baan Thai, close to the Naklua/Pottisarn corner. P'Som's really knows what she's doing. It's a lovely place, and the after-massage tea is lovely too.

Thai friends that have accompanied me for massages tip the same way.

I'm 23 years old...don't have very much money...work for pennies on the dollar in Thailand...and still manage to tip 100+ baht per 240 baht/2 hour/thai massage.

Do I ever feel I'm taken advantage of? no...do I EVER regret giving the tip I give? NO. After the store commission these girls get about 60 baht/hour or about 6000 baht/month. Can you imagine your son or daughter working for $150 USD/mo?

I don't want to anger those who do tip (even if it’s small, because undoubtedly it’s much appreciated)...but for those of you who consistently take two hour massages and give nothing, I have little respect.

Try this next time, if you don't want to give a tip...try telling your masseur before she starts that you aren't going to tip a single baht. She'll probably still be happy to give you a massage, but at least you won't be wasting her time if she can get other more profitable clients.

This discussion will turn into this, and yes, I am American.

Matt

I have been told from a reliable source that the Koreans and Japanese tip between 200-300 baht.

I lived in Si Racha a long time and yes, there are some Japanese who tip 500 baht. But most on average only tip around 100-150 baht (some only 50 baht for a 1 hour massage). Maybe I'm just being defensive, but don't go bashing the Japanese for making up the majority portion of your message girl's (or guys) salary. It’s their earned money and they should decide how to spend it. :o

Bravo to them for giving back to the less privileged.

Matt

Matt - shouldnt knock those who tip less or nothing at all. If they dont want to so be it - I wont guilt anyone into smth they arent used too doing on a normal basis and lets face it we europeans rarely if at all tip when back home for anything!!!

I have never tipped and I have had over 100 massages.  And is the massage on Soi Post Office legit?  It says, "Where your dreams come true".

Only once in Phayao did a bad lady request a tip.  I pretended I couldn't understand Thai.  I still gave her over 20 baht in coins and she was still bitching.  That is the only time I have been requested and have given a tip.  I can say in Thai, "Tipping is not customary in Thailand".  Please make it easy for the rest of us and stop throwing money at these people.

Cheap charlie springs to mind. What is wrong with tipping if you have recieved good service, it might not be customary in Thailand but it is just good manners

Matt - shouldnt knock those who tip less or nothing at all. If they dont want to so be it - I wont guilt anyone into smth they arent used too doing on a normal basis and lets face it we europeans rarely if at all tip when back home for anything!!!

Brit, u may not tip back home, but you're in Thailand now. Give a lil extra to the underprivileged. Still "up to u".

I'm 23 years old...don't have very much money...work for pennies on the dollar in Thailand...and still manage to tip 100+ baht per 240 baht/2 hour/thai massage.

Do I ever feel I'm taken advantage of? no...do I EVER regret giving the tip I give? NO. After the store commission these girls get about 60 baht/hour or about 6000 baht/month. Can you imagine your son or daughter working for $150 USD/mo?

I don't want to anger those who do tip (even if it’s small, because undoubtedly it’s much appreciated)...but for those of you who consistently take two hour massages and give nothing, I have little respect.

Try this next time, if you don't want to give a tip...try telling your masseur before she starts that you aren't going to tip a single baht. She'll probably still be happy to give you a massage, but at least you won't be wasting her time if she can get other more profitable clients.

This discussion will turn into this, and yes, I am American.

Matt

Matt, i couldn't agree with you more, and i didn't know you're an american, usually, no offense, the other farangs do that, i don't want to upset anybody, but seeing one of those girls/ladies, giving you a 2 hour massage and not giving her anything it's unhuman and if you come telling me that 50 baht is too much...i may need to ask you what can u do with an euro in Europe (London, Wien, Paris, Rome, etc.), i know that for 1 euro you can get pretty much of nothing.

As Matt said..."This discussion will turn into this, and no, i'm not american, i'm romanian, one of Dracula's sons