Any Experience Of The Chevrolet Aveo?

I've held off replacing my old L200 for the past year or so as we plan on leaving Thailand. However without a concrete date and rapidly growing 1 year old twins I figure I need a reliable 4 door to make life a little easier. However I want to spend as little as is possible really. We checked a few places today and the most reasonable priced car was a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 saloon in immaculate condition with 72,000km on it. I gave it a test drive and although only a 1.4 I found it to be enough for my needs. The guy is willing to give me a good price on my old truck which sweetens the deal. The deal is my car and 160k. Sale price of the car is 350k. Since my car is not in great shape I think this is quite good.

I found a few unfavourable opinions on topics on here, but they dated from 2007 and were from people that didn't actually own an Aveo. I wondered if anyone has owned one since.

The only alternatives around the same price are 2002/3 model Toyota's or an additional 100k for a 2005/6 Toyota or Honda.

Opinion or experience please.

My wife bought an Aveo LUX last August when Chevy were offering 0% deals through Tisco. Ironically, as she'd been my guarantor when I bought my Honda City, when she changed jobs and needed a vehicle to make the commute a little easier, I couldn't return the favour. Honda strictly required a Thai national with an income exceeding 20k/month. As her best friend already acted as guarrantor on her home loan, my wife, rather than bothering anyone else, found the Chevy dealership, right next to our home, to be far more agreeable.

In realtity we share and drive both cars interchangably, so I can try to answer any Aveo questions, but as my wife's car is only a year old with 10k on the clock, I've no experience of a 2008 model or one with 72k - I've got no idea how they hold up. Whether it's sensible to buy a second-hand car period is another issue, but the price of 350k depends - what grade is it? You can check the official http://www.chevyok.com/home second-hand dealers for more alternatives nation-wide instead of just what one dealer offers you. Aveo's come with the same 3-year/100,000km warranties as Toyotas and Hondas so the 2008 model may still have a year left.

When my wife and I looked at this last year, we thought the Aveo LUX was similarly priced and equipped to a Toyota Vios S; if there is much of a difference it's not worth fussing over, we thought, especially due to the amount we stood to save in interest with the interest-free loan.

As Bangkok traffic is either stationary or snail-paced, having comfy leather seats and a decent air-con was higher up my wife's list of priorities than performance. The City is by far the better car, with a more responsive ride, better styling and more powerful engine (Yawn) - I think the 1.5l gets 120bph while the Aveo's 1.4 lags with 100 or less, which I find noticeable when I drive. The Aveo is a re-badged Daewoo (I think GM bought it when it went bankrupt) and has been modified by Chevy to accept E20 fuel. The air con isn't quiet when on recirculate, but otherwise the car's South Korean and just......works, I can't say that much more about it.

The biggest reason not to buy an Aveo is apparent when you take a look at youtube - the 2007 Aveo performed poorly on NCAP crash-tests - maybe it's not the best choice for your twins. The rear-doors have child-locks and the body, despite apprearing bulbous when compared with the sportier, sleeker looking City, has ample head and leg room even for adults. Maybe your kids would be safer in the truck? it could last a few more years while the twins are so young, I'm sure.

Also, Chevy are releasing the second-generation Aveo this year I think, so the fact that you see more on the roads is best explained by the interest-free deals last year.

Thanks for the indepth opinion, I really appreciate it.

I bought the car today. I did hum and har about it all night, but in the end after touring the forecourts I went for it. I was aware of the shortcomings and the cars lack of flare. It was basically the cheapest option in great condition with satisfactory looks etc. For 80k or so more I could have had a City or some other Toyota, but they were significantly older cars and most were well worn and seemed aged. The Aveo had one owner and was like brand new. Having now driven it 70km or so I can assess it. It has enough power for our needs and is much better than the truck. It is a little over noisey in the cab at speed than it probably should be. After being in a new Toyota Altis taxi today I see the difference. However after years in the L200 the Aveo feels like a Merc to me. Hopefully I will only have it for six months or so before I leave. We managed to get 210k for our aged 220,000km truck too.

Thanks again for the information.

Thanks for the indepth opinion, I really appreciate it.

I bought the car today. I did hum and har about it all night, but in the end after touring the forecourts I went for it. I was aware of the shortcomings and the cars lack of flare. It was basically the cheapest option in great condition with satisfactory looks etc. For 80k or so more I could have had a City or some other Toyota, but they were significantly older cars and most were well worn and seemed aged. The Aveo had one owner and was like brand new. Having now driven it 70km or so I can assess it. It has enough power for our needs and is much better than the truck. It is a little over noisey in the cab at speed than it probably should be. After being in a new Toyota Altis taxi today I see the difference. However after years in the L200 the Aveo feels like a Merc to me. Hopefully I will only have it for six months or so before I leave. We managed to get 210k for our aged 220,000km truck too.

Thanks again for the information.

That was quick! I suppose the main thing is that you got a brilliant price for your truck, and if you do sell the Aveo in six months, you'll loose little of what you paid for it. The Chevy OK company I mentioned probably wouldn't have given you a fraction of what you got for the truck. I agree with you, the Aveo cabin isn't quiet, and of course it is a B-segment car like a Vios/City/Tida/Persona so it compares unfavourably to a taxi. The larger Chevy - the Optra - also a rebadged Daewoo, is more comparable and is sold with CNG so you're starting to see a few of those being run as taxis. Heck, I saw my first Honda Civic taxi last month, so anything's possible! Chevrolet are unpopular in Thailand due to having fewer dealerships, and when the Aveo is up against the Toyota Vios, Thailand's top-selling car, purpose-designed and built for the Thai market, who's going to take the risk?

If you don't leave Thailand in six months as you anticipate, and you want to keep the Aveo, my final tip is that as your car is still under warranty, you can buy an extended Platinum warranty; 5 Year/250,000km (whichever comes first). You'll have to contact a Chevy dealer for a price if you're interested. Happy driving!