Thailand Lifts Emergency Rule In Three Provinces: Govt

webfact

Thailand lifts emergency rule in three provinces: govt

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand said Tuesday that it was lifting a state of emergency in three northern provinces but not in Bangkok, two months after the end of mass anti-government protests in the capital.

The emergency law, which bans public gatherings of more than five people and gives security forces the right to detain suspects for 30 days without charge, will remain in place in 16 other provinces.

The cabinet decided to revoke the state of emergency in Lampang, Roi Et and Sakon Nakhon provinces, in addition to five areas where the decree was recently lifted, said deputy government spokesman Supachai Jaismut.

"There are no political movements in those three provinces and local officials are confident that they can handle the situation," he said.

Earlier this month Thailand extended the emergency powers across about one quarter of the country by three months, prompting concern among rights groups and key allies including the United States.

A visiting senior US envoy last week urged to lift the state of emergency "as soon as possible".

William Burns, the State Department's number three, said that to retain these powers indefinitely was "not healthy for a democratic system".

Two months of mass rallies by the Red Shirts, who were seeking immediate elections, sparked outbreaks of violence that left 90 people dead, mostly civilians, and nearly 1,900 injured, ending in an army crackdown in May.

Critics say the government may be fanning the crisis as it clamps down on and censors the protest movement -- which broadly supports fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra -- rather than addressing its grievances.

The authorities have used the powers to arrest hundreds of suspects -- including most of the top leaders of the "Red Shirt" protest movement -- and shut down anti-government TV channels, radio stations and websites.

The government has rejected calls from the opposition for the decree to be revoked in time for a parliamentary by-election in Bangkok on July 25 in which a Red Shirt leader detained on charges of terrorism is running.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-20

Cabinet Lifts Emergency Decree in 3 Provinces

Cabinet has lifted the emergency decree in Lampang, Roi Et, Sakol Nakorn provinces after suggestions from the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situations, or CRES, that anti-government activity in the areas have lessened. The decree is stil in force in 16 remaining provinces, including Bangkok and its metropolitan areas.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-20

footer_n.gif

CRES Explains Why Emergency Decree Continues in 16 Provinces

The Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situations, or CRES, explained to Cabinet that the emergency decree should remain in 16 provinces as there are intelligence reports that underground activity by the anti-government movement remains. The center claims it is still receiving word of attempted assassination attempts and unrest.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-20

footer_n.gif

State of emergency cancelled in three provinces

By The Nation

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved the cancellation of emergency rule in Lampang, Sakhon Nakhon and Roi Et as per the recommendation from relevant authorities, signalling the gradual resumption of normalcy.

The state of emergency remains enforced in 16 provinces, including Bangkok. Last week the emergency rule was lifted in five provinces.

The emergency measures are still in effect in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ubon Ratchathani, Maha Sarakham, Nong Bua Lamphu, Mukdahan, Udon Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Chon Buri and Samut Prakan.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-20

By The Nation

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved the cancellation of emergency rule in Lampang, Sakhon Nakhon and Roi Et as per the recommendation from relevant authorities, signalling the gradual resumption of normalcy.

The state of emergency remains enforced in 16 provinces, including Bangkok. Last week the emergency rule was lifted in five provinces.

The emergency measures are still in effect in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ubon Ratchathani, Maha Sarakham, Nong Bua Lamphu, Mukdahan, Udon Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Chon Buri and Samut Prakan.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-20

What does the state of emergency mean to a tourist, for example? Is there a night curfew? Can one please tell me what to expect,in a few words, as I am coming to Bangkok early September for one month? Are there any tourists now? I am familiar with 'normal' Bangkok of course as I visit almost every year. I will appreciate any short info

Thank you

Edited by webfact
do not use red color for postings

Per a U.S. Embassy in Bangkok notification, a summary of the emergency decree powers follow:

Emergency decree powers give the police and military increased powers to maintain public order. Specifically, security forces have the authority to:

· prohibit gatherings of more than five people;

· prohibit distribution of media or publications deemed to affect security or public order;

· prohibit or limit the use of vehicles or particular routes; and

· evacuate buildings or areas or prohibit entry into them.

The only thing you have to fear in Bangkok is the traffic. ;)

Does this mean the go go bars are breaking the law if they have five or more punters checking out the action?

Not as long as they ain't protesting against the government.

By The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-20

What does the state of emergency mean to a tourist, for example? Is there a night curfew? Can one please tell me what to expect,in a few words, as I am coming to Bangkok early September for one month? Are there any tourists now? I am familiar with 'normal' Bangkok of course as I visit almost every year. I will appreciate any short info

Thank you

Well no there is not a lot of tourists now and everybody I know complain about that, sadly for them.annoyed.gif