Thai Central Bank To Address Unfair Transaction Fees

webfact

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>I wonder if they will identify the 150b international transaction ATM  fee as being unfair?!...somehow I think not!<BR>
<BR><BR>or the charge they make you pay for changing small change into notes, and the fee i was once charged for paying in 3000 baht in small change into my account, apparently to pay for the time and energy taken to count the money that was already counted and bagged ready for the teller to put it on their money scales.<BR>
<BR><BR>International fee is beyond Bank of Thailand jurisdiction.<BR>Anyway, you people can afford it.<BR>
<BR><BR>I resent the remark made by you ' anyway you people can afford it'!! How dare you be so patronising! <BR>The rate of 150baht charge is a high fee to withdraw money, and seems to be aimed at foreigners who need to regularly use the ATM to access their overseas accounts. <BR>

Get a thai account and you dont have to withdraw with your foreign card. And foreigner can afford 150 baht anyway.

Much worse that some poor thai has to pay 12baht on every 10 000 they send to another province.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm.10 baht for transaction on Thai bank???...sooo why do the charge me 150baht to deposit a cheque on on a Thai based bank "Bank Of America"???...ah TIT .....all's fair in love & Thailand and......&lt;deleted&gt;... :whistling:

Almost all of the ex-pat folks who live full-time in Thailand have Thai bank accounts. But that doesn't mean they don't also have and have to use home country cards as well. It's not an either/or proposition.

If someone withdraws 1,000 baht (about $31) from a Thai ATM with a non-Thai card, they're being charged 150 baht (about $4.40). That means the fee amounts to about 15 percent of the amount withdrawn.

And, if foreigners can afford the fee anyway as you say, then I'm sure you'll be happy to reimburse everyone on Thai Visa for the 150 baht fees they've been charged for the past year. Just let us know where to send the bills.

Get a thai account and you dont have to withdraw with your foreign card.

And foreigner can afford 150 baht anyway.

Much worse that some poor thai has to pay 12baht on every 10 000 they send to another province.

mmm.10 baht for transaction on Thai bank???...sooo why do the charge me 150baht to deposit a cheque on on a Thai based bank "Bank Of America"???...ah TIT .....all's fair in love & Thailand and......&lt;deleted&gt;... :whistling:

Huh? Bank of America is Thai based? No, they have one branch in Silom in Bangkok and no where else in Thailand. And yes this is Thailand... So, I guess I'm missing your point...

For the time being -- until they change the ATM fee ( don't hold your breath) -- always withdraw as much as possible in one transaction. I only do 20,00 baht for my 150 baht fee. .

The amount you withdraw is governed by your home bank only , and by the number of bank notes !that the ATM will dispense. If you have a $500 US daily limit at home, you can't do 20,000 baht !

Most ATM's will only dispense 30 bank notes per transaction. I tried to do a withdrawal at KTB yesterday -- the machine said it only had 100 baht notes -- that means a 3000 baht witdrawal maximum for the same 150 baht fee-- I simply hit cancel.

By the way, some ATM's now ask if you want a receipt for your international transaction -- another 150 baht fee -- now that is a RIPOFF!

Be as wise as you can -- we need to live within the system for now.

Edited by tigermonkey

Hum, I have three Thai bank accounts. So what. How do I get money into those accounts from the US without paying fees? I have found probably the least costly way, but if you know some way that the receiving bank doesn't charge me, please let me know...

Of course you have to pay at some point for international transfer from your US bank to your Thai one, but if you transfer a few thousand dollars each month those costs are not that high and certainly a lot lower than going to an ATM several times a week to withdraw money from your US bank.

So IMO the problem is not that Thai banks charge money for international accounts at ATM's, the problem is the US banks (or any other non-Thai bank) that is charging for international transfers.

Sorry but I disagree. Bank of America charges me $3 for any amount to transfer to Bangkok Bank New York branch. Bangkok Bank NY charges me $5 (for $2,000 or less, over $2,000, $10 and up depending on the amount) to accept the transfer and send it to Bangkok. Bangkok Bank Bangkok, charges me 200 Baht to receive the transfer from their NY branch. All done online. By the way I can pull 25,000 Baht at one pull at a Bangkok Bank ATM with my Bank of America ATM card for 150 Baht plus 1% to VIsa and $5 to Bank of America. I don't know why some people can only get 10,000 Baht out per pull.

Most ATM machines do accept to pull THB 20,000 at a time and do charge fee of THB 150.

My credit card company charges 1% for using the card at an ATM machine in Thailand and my foreign bank gets their fee too.

Can you do another transaction the same day and pull another 20,000? (no question that the same fee has to be paid again) Has anyone the answer to this question?

Well Put.......! How anyone can be that ignorant to assume that it's fair for Travellers and Ex-pats to pay out

150 Baht because "We can afford It" needs to remove their head from where the Sun Doesn't Shine...........

Just another reason why I & many others have moved out of Thailand.

I wonder if they will identify the 150b international transaction ATM fee as being unfair?!...somehow I think not!

or the charge they make you pay for changing small change into notes, and the fee i was once charged for paying in 3000 baht in small change into my account, apparently to pay for the time and energy taken to count the money that was already counted and bagged ready for the teller to put it on their money scales.

International fee is beyond Bank of Thailand jurisdiction.

Anyway, you people can afford it.

I agree with you. We are generally of superior intellect and education, so we can afford it. I do feel that you are in the unfortunate position of needing our few baht of throw away cash, and probably will always need our support. I think we should feel grateful that our karma allowed us to be reborn as farangs, and should not complain

What is more disturbing is that this is the second time this week, firstly with phone charges, that the Abhisit government is trying to roll back the free market system.

Abhisit is moving the country towards a communist, statist system whereby prices and eventually wages will be government controlled.

Policies such as these are doomed to failure.

I wonder if they will identify the 150b international transaction ATM fee as being unfair?!...somehow I think not!

or the charge they make you pay for changing small change into notes, and the fee i was once charged for paying in 3000 baht in small change into my account, apparently to pay for the time and energy taken to count the money that was already counted and bagged ready for the teller to put it on their money scales.

Is Rucharee trolling here? oc

I must inform you that the charges you are talking about is used by all countries almost throughout thr world. And as somebody said, here in tThailand, we can afford it, I think.

Sorry, you are flat-out wrong.

The 150 baht fee is imposed by Thai banks.

It is separate from the fee that other banks might charge.

If someone has as card from a bank that charges its own customers a fee, and uses that card in Thailand, they will pay two fees: One to their own bank and one to the Thai bank.

What is more disturbing is that this is the second time this week, firstly with phone charges, that the Abhisit government is trying to roll back the free market system.

Abhisit is moving the country towards a communist, statist system whereby prices and eventually wages will be government controlled.

Policies such as these are doomed to failure.

What has your post to do with free market system? What would happen, if the governemnt would not control wages? Would you pay your staff THB 1000 per month instead of the minimum wage, regulated by the government? What is wrong with adjusting unfair bank fees?

Interest rate is also unfair issue. What is the reason that a foreigner cannot earn interest rate? Is his money is not as good as thai's :)?

In Philippines for example there will give interest for accounts opened by foreigners.

BTW: Lately they introduced 150pesos charge, which is roughly 110baht in local banks. Is there still some ATM in Philipines one can withdraw without this charge?

Once again, for those that don't actually read other people's posts....

AEON Thailand web site for locating their branches and ATMs.

Thanks, jfchandler, for that.

But I can do without the attitude, not all of us have the time or possibility to follow every post or issue inside here.

But the link was so good that you are excused.

Have a good day.

Should have just left it at "Thanks"...

Who are you to say that everyone on this website can afford it. Why are you even on this website if you have such a negative view of expats?

I hate these fees but 150 baht is not that ridiculous. I get charged a hundred baht per withdraw by US banks when I withdraw money from my Thai account plus an additional hundred baht by the Thai bank what is ridiculous is the interbank exchange rate.

Bye-bye Rucharee...

Banned.

Whether Rucharee is Thai, or a farang troll, I don't think banning her/him is called for. The true silliness has come from ThaiVisa's ever-sanctimonious cadre of busybodies and railbirds.

Guess if you banned THEM, however, ad revenue might suffer, eh?

So someone politely pokes us in the eye, and instead of considering the source, and moving on, we BAN them?

Oh well TiT(V) - This is ThaiVisa...

Indeed it is good that they are thinking about removing those unnecessary costs, but for those people who are complaining about the fees for foreign transactions, that I truly don't understand.

I am assuming that you live here, as if you were a tourist there would be no reason to complain so loud, and if you live here, why don't you get a Thai bank account?

Please enlighten me as to the reason why...

Hum, I have three Thai bank accounts. So what. How do I get money into those accounts from the US without paying fees? I have found probably the least costly way, but if you know some way that the receiving bank doesn't charge me, please let me know...

Just take your VISA/MC DEBIT/CREDIT card into most Thai banks go to the service desk and ask for a VISA/MC cash advance. I did it for years even before the 150 bt charge because of the daily limit the US banks put on ATM withdraws. Some banks have a small limit (K-Bank 20,000) but Bangkok Bank has a 100,000 bt per limit. AND THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR A VISA/MC ADVANCE! You also get the TT rate. If you ask for a small amount the bank personel may suggest you to use the ATM. I simply tell them that the amount is over the US daily ATM withdrawal limit.

The think I have done most recently is change all my direct deposits to Bangkok Bank New York. When my deposits hit the NY Branch the funds are immediately transfered to my Bangkok Bank account where it takes Bangkok a couple hours to process and deposit it to my account. This is of course for people who live here.

But spread the word to all you know just get a VISA/MC cash advance forget the ATM.

US-taxman

Bye-bye Rucharee...

Banned.

Whether Rucharee is Thai, or a farang troll, I don't think banning her/him is called for. The true silliness has come from ThaiVisa's ever-sanctimonious cadre of busybodies and railbirds.

Guess if you banned THEM, however, ad revenue might suffer, eh?

So someone politely pokes us in the eye, and instead of considering the source, and moving on, we BAN them?

Oh well TiT(V) - This is ThaiVisa...

"you people can afford it", this is an offence and against thaivisa rules

You can get into contact with her through hi5 (same picture)

Of course you have to pay at some point for international transfer from your US bank to your Thai one, but if you transfer a few thousand dollars each month those costs are not that high and certainly a lot lower than going to an ATM several times a week to withdraw money from your US bank.

So IMO the problem is not that Thai banks charge money for international accounts at ATM's, the problem is the US banks (or any other non-Thai bank) that is charging for international transfers.

Sorry but I disagree. Bank of America charges me $3 for any amount to transfer to Bangkok Bank New York branch. Bangkok Bank NY charges me $5 (for $2,000 or less, over $2,000, $10 and up depending on the amount) to accept the transfer and send it to Bangkok. Bangkok Bank Bangkok, charges me 200 Baht to receive the transfer from their NY branch. All done online. By the way I can pull 25,000 Baht at one pull at a Bangkok Bank ATM with my Bank of America ATM card for 150 Baht plus 1% to VIsa and $5 to Bank of America. I don't know why some people can only get 10,000 Baht out per pull.

Most ATM machines do accept to pull THB 20,000 at a time and do charge fee of THB 150.

My credit card company charges 1% for using the card at an ATM machine in Thailand and my foreign bank gets their fee too.

Can you do another transaction the same day and pull another 20,000? (no question that the same fee has to be paid again) Has anyone the answer to this question?

I can't say for all foreign ATM cards, but usually it's one pull per 24 hour period. My Thai ATM cards I can pull 20,000 Baht each time I out the card in. It can be a minute between pulls...

Has anyone ever met Khun Rucharee to determine that she is a she and actually Thai? One suspects that "she" is some bored retired farang bloke who likes to get a rise out of the oft-times sanctimonious and blustery membership of Thaivisa... Out goes the bait and fifty fish fight to swallow it first...

Just what I was thinking as well. Some sad wa*ker that get a hardon whenever he can stir up a commotion in a forum.

Just curious what credit card company are you using that only charges 1% for using the card at an ATM machine in Thailand? thks

Just curious what credit card company are you using that only charges 1% for using the card at an ATM machine in Thailand? thks

mastercard

Indeed it is good that they are thinking about removing those unnecessary costs, but for those people who are complaining about the fees for foreign transactions, that I truly don't understand.

I am assuming that you live here, as if you were a tourist there would be no reason to complain so loud, and if you live here, why don't you get a Thai bank account?

Please enlighten me as to the reason why...

Just take your VISA/MC DEBIT/CREDIT card into most Thai banks go to the service desk and ask for a VISA/MC cash advance. I did it for years even before the 150 bt charge because of the daily limit the US banks put on ATM withdraws. Some banks have a small limit (K-Bank 20,000) but Bangkok Bank has a 100,000 bt per limit. AND THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR A VISA/MC ADVANCE! You also get the TT rate. If you ask for a small amount the bank personel may suggest you to use the ATM. I simply tell them that the amount is over the US daily ATM withdrawal limit.

The think I have done most recently is change all my direct deposits to Bangkok Bank New York. When my deposits hit the NY Branch the funds are immediately transfered to my Bangkok Bank account where it takes Bangkok a couple hours to process and deposit it to my account. This is of course for people who live here.

But spread the word to all you know just get a VISA/MC cash advance forget the ATM.

US-taxman

I guess you missed my response after this post you quoted or something. The post you responded to was a rhetorical question. My later response was I can go online to Bank of America and transfer to Bangkok Bank NY $2000 dollars or more or less, but lets use the $2000 transfer for an example. B of A will charge me $3. Bangkok Bank NY will charge me $5 and Bangkok Bank Thailand will charge 200 Baht. So, let's do the math: $5+$3=$8 plus 200 Baht about $6. So, total charges $14. You go and use your ATM card at the bank as you suggest for $2000. Visa will charge 1%, or $20 plus B of A will charge you at least $5, so the total charge is $25. So, I just saved $11 by doing it the way I do it... But it does take 4 days approximately unless you want to pay a bit more for faster service. And all ATM transfers as well as my online transfers get the TT rate... When I first started doing this Bangkok Bank didn't charge me anything and B of A $3. But when all the Thai banks started the ATM service fee they tacked on service charges for the internet transfers as well. And by the way what you are talking about is not a cash advance. If you use a credit card that is a cash advance and you will have to pay a cash advance fee as well as interest accruing from the day you take it until you pay your bill.

mastercard

Do you see the answer I posted to your question? If not, it's once every 24 hour period. And I think you are talking about an ATM card, not a credit card. Most credit cards charge 3% for a foreign transaction fee. An ATM card from Visa or Mastercard charges 1%. Although I have a grandfathered Visa credit card that I can charge airline tickets etc at only 1% and a higher rate than even the TT exchange rate...

What do you mean by YOU PEOPLE???

So you feel anyone from a foriegn country should be charged a large transation fee to

turn around and spend it in Thailand........You must be Thai or been in Thailand to long

and think it's ok to have double standards and support the two price system in Thailand.

And people like you wonder where the Tourist have gone !!

Whatever way you look at it the Banks here are saints compared to the western banks. In the UK there is often over 20% difference between buying and selling currency and here about 2.5% at most.

Try changing Qatari riyals here, Buying rate 6.15, selling rate 8.87. That is very definately NOT 2.5%, and the reason I didnt change it.

mastercardI

Do you see the answer I posted to your question? If not, it's once every 24 hour period. And I think you are talking about an ATM card, not a credit card. Most credit cards charge 3% for a foreign transaction fee. An ATM card from Visa or Mastercard charges 1%. Although I have a grandfathered Visa credit card that I can charge airline tickets etc at only 1% and a higher rate than even the TT exchange rate...

No, I am not talking about an ATM card. I have a mastercard gold from the bank in my home country. When I use the card at an ATM machine in Thailand, for a pull of THB 20,000, I see on my foreign credit card statement the amount of THB 20,150 plus 1 % fee from THB 20,150 (for using the foreign card in in a foreign country - what is mentioned)

In addition to this my foreign home bank charges 2 % for the same transaction.

If anyone has a better deal, please let me know. It might be small fees if you use small amounts for every transaction, but if you count doing this every month for many years, the money you could have saved could have made you a slummdog millionaire.

Any suggestions?