Thai Central Bank To Address Unfair Transaction Fees

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will waste more bandwidth that this retard initially wasted.

I wonder if they will identify the 150b international transaction ATM fee as being unfair?!...somehow I think not!

or the charge they make you pay for changing small change into notes, and the fee i was once charged for paying in 3000 baht in small change into my account, apparently to pay for the time and energy taken to count the money that was already counted and bagged ready for the teller to put it on their money scales.

International fee is beyond Bank of Thailand jurisdiction.

Anyway, you people can afford it.

From AEON Website :

AEON Spot Phuket 75 Moo 5 Central festival Phuket 2 nd Fl. Room TC-024 wichit , Muang Phuket 83000 (076) 362000 (076) 249-850

Plus other places in South Thailand :http://www.aeonthailand.com/lang/en/menu/Service_Location/region/Southern#soutput

Thanks. I did a search on the IP address that was provided in an earlier post and it must have been an old link. But I'm not sure I will drive at least 40 minutes to save 150 Baht....

And what about the 700 baht incoming Telegraphic Transfer Wire fee. That is another Thailand special. Just easier to spend less money here :ph34r:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

700 ThB fee ?

You have a link for this please ?

See my post 134

I must inform you that the charges you are talking about is used by all countries almost throughout thr world. And as somebody said, here in tThailand, we can afford it, I think.

Glegolo

let's see, should i make a list of the countries I have traveled to in the past few years? China, India, Laos, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, South Africa, Namibia, Madagascar, Egypt, Jordan, Israel....let's see in EVERY one of those countries, I put my ATM card in the machine in 99% of the banks, and I get money out with no charge no commission. Now my bank at home does charge me a fee for using the card and making a transaction, but that is my bank. When I put my ATM card into 99.9% of the banks in Thailand, I am charged a fee by my home bank, AND the 150 baht fee by the Thai bank for using the ATM with the international card. So Thailand is one of the ONLY countries in the world that does this. And yes, surely most people who have bank accounts and ATM's are not going to starve if they have to pay 150 baht, but that is completely besides the point. Why dont grocery shops start tacking on 150 baht surcharge to farang shoppers, why doesn't the BTS charge farangs an extra 150 baht on their tickets, why dont movie theatres tack on 150 baht, after all, we can all afford it right. The point is not afford or not afford, the point is that it is a policy not done anywhere else in the world with few options and is basically a greedy way to rip folks off even more.

And what about the 700 baht incoming Telegraphic Transfer Wire fee. That is another Thailand special. Just easier to spend less money here :ph34r:

700 ThB fee ?

See my post 134

I have often received money through international transfers as well as sent money out of Thailand. There is a check mark on the transfer form whereby the sender has the option of paying the foreign bank transaction fee or not. Last week I paid the fee here & my sister in NZ received the exact amount specified. Recently I have also received money sent from Hong Kong with no fee deduction as the sender paid. BTW money was received through my SCB account.

When I first came to Thailand it was not easy to send money out of the country through the banking system. A friend of mine used an old method & I think there might be a special name for it. Anyway he would go to Phuket Town, pay cash to a Chinese merchant & later an associate would collect the funds from another Chinese merchant in Singapore. He never had any problems using this method.

I know credit card interest fees are notoriously high throughout the world but some countries have different & lower rates which you can choose depending on your spending patterns. In Thailand there are no credit card options & the one I have with SCB charges 20% interest which IMO is much higher than elsewhere. If the Thai central bank want to address unfair fees &/or issues related to people getting into too much debt they should look at this. It is a huge spread from the almost 0% interest on savings accounts.

BTW. Aeon ATMs are easy to spot in Phuket during the middle & end of the month as they are the ones with the longest queues.

I did a search on Aeon's website and according to it, there are no Aeon ATMs in southern Thailand. I specifically searched for one in Phuket.

I found one on their website Central Festival - 2nd Floor, I think that website is old, I'm sure Ive seen 1 or 2 in Patong

700 ThB fee ?

See my post 134

I have often received money through international transfers as well as sent money out of Thailand. There is a check mark on the transfer form whereby the sender has the option of paying the foreign bank transaction fee or not. Last week I paid the fee here & my sister in NZ received the exact amount specified. Recently I have also received money sent from Hong Kong with no fee deduction as the sender paid. BTW money was received through my SCB account.

As stated, it's international practice and either the sender or the receiver has to pay it. I assume in Gobbledoc's case, the sender has elected not to pay it at his end.