Annual Extension Of Stay – Based On Retirement

This post relates ONLY to my experience at Changwattana, and your mileage at any other immigration office in thailand may vary.

Sorry in advance that this is a long post :( . My penchant for bloviation is all too well known on the T/V forum :o .

SPECIAL NOTE:For the T/V readers who don’t want to read the entire post; the condensed version is; A person can garner an extension of stay out at Changwattana two months before their current one expires IF they have ‘special circumstances’ AND the documentation to back up the necessity of doing so.

I usually shepherd people to/from Changwattana at least once a week, sometimes more often. This was the first time I was asked to help secure a yearly extension of stay TWO months before the clients current one expired.

He was embarking on a S/E Asian tour for 3 months and by the time he'd return to thailand his current extension of stay would have expired. That'd compel him to start the Non-O, yearly extension process again. From what he said that would throw a wrench in the gears as he wants to apply for P/R. The little I understand about the process of P/R; the extensions of stay must be un-broken.

Anyway, despite my warning to the client on several occasions; he neglected to bring the confirmation of departure for the tour. Needless to say, the Immigrations Officer who we sat in front of was less than thrilled at this lack of forethought on the applicant’s part (as was I). We were told in no uncertain terms that it could be done ONLY a month before. However, realizing ANY bureaucrat in ANY country simply follows rules, and usually doesn't want to be compelled to think outside the box; I politely asked if we could talk to her "supervisor".

FWIW; the supervisor at Changwattana for section L (where you get retirement, marriage and dependent visas) is behind counter number 35. She's the woman in the far back corner there who you meet right at the end of the extension process. She circles, underlines, and initials some pieces of your paperwork and initials the visa extension in your passport before handing it back, when you're done. I've seen here countless times so far this year, and she was the same woman at Suan Plu before they closed. She asked me why the client needed to renew it so early. I politely pointed out the reason for the early renewal, and also the lack of support documentation to verify this was indeed a 'real situation'. She told me what I wanted was handled on a case-by-case basis; it shouldn't be attempted without documentation supporting the need for it. She did relent although I had to write a small paper saying that next year the client knew he couldn't receive another extension of stay until 30 days or less was remaining on the current one. Not an issue really, but they did put it in his file, so if he tries next year, I'm sure they'd point out the paper from this year. I'm quite sure that with proper documentation to verify the necessity of securing an extension of stay early, it'd have probably sailed thru without having to go up a level for permission.

All in all quite painless, quite pleasant. While Changwattana is a longer slog to reach than Suan Plu was, from the mouth of my Soi near Asok/Sukhumvit; using the expressway and then the elevated toll-way we got there in under 20 minutes, for 225 baht all in. The amenities of major bank offices, food courts, restruarants, coffee shops, copy/photo shops, etc at Changwattana far out-weighs the distance difference. I always hated to go to that cramped, tiny cluster fuc_k that Suan Plu was.

I concur with several other posters; the immigrations officials aren't jovial by any stretch of the imagination. They are not rude either, just curt, to the point and all business. Believe me if I had to deal with the plethora of often ill-prepared, poorly presented (as in improperly dressed for dealing with a thai government official, especially one who has ANY control over if you can stay here or not) and sometimes rude foreigners who parade thru there, I wouldn't be jovial either.

The MAJOR factors which slow the entire process down out there is;

LACK of proper copies of the relevant passport pages which have entry/exit stamps, visa extensions, departure card. This forces people to go down in the basement to secure additional copies. For some reason which eludes me, the copy shops are NO WHERE near the immigrations office, but past BOTH food courts, so quite a slog. When in doubt, copy any thai stamp in your passport, they'll discard what you don't need. Don't forget to sign or initial EVERY copy you make.

Another reason is lack of supporting documentation for the extension you're trying to secure. With this and other nameless forums out there, it's NOT rocket science to know what you need. At least at Changwattana it's not.

The next reason is improperly filled out or use of the wrong form entirely. The information people just after you enter Changwattana's front door possess excellent english skills (far and away superior to what passed for engrish at Suan Plu). There are plenty of desks/chairs, pens, tables, pots of glue, etc where you can sit and fill out your forms FIRST before securing a queue number. While they have a sign saying if your forms aren't filled out they won't give you a queue ticket, I didn't see any evidence of checking them at all.

The last reason really is an Immigrations oversight issue. For retirement extensions they have 3 extra forms you fill out at the end of the process which are NOT on any website for downloading nor at the desk that hands out blank forms. One says you'll have 800K in the bank for the required time BEFORE applying next year. Another says you realize your extension of stay is dependant on your following the rules of said extension and it can be revoked if you don't. The last one is quite ambiguous and is basically a personal guarantee paper saying you guarantee you're who you say, live where you live, and have sufficient funds to live here. Really after reading it several times I still don't quite get the gist of it, and it has WAY too many blank fields to fill out quickly.

I've included scans of the three forms. BTW; going with them already filled out is met with surprise by the Immigrations Officers and certainly speeds you thru the process.

Financial Notification.pdf

Terms.pdf

Statement.pdf

My 1 year extension expires on october 11, 2010, I renewed it at Jomtien immigration in early June , because I was leaving for Canada on June 10, the guy did not even look at my airline ticket, did not care why i wanted to renew so early, he asked when you go Canada, I said next week, he said OK, stamp stamp, done. That was 4 months early, no documentation required , it really does depend on the individual immigration office and officer. Of course the multiple enrty permit could not be done until the next day, but the 3800 baht was received 4 months early as was the 1900 extension fee, so they were getting that cash 4 months early, good for them, and I can come back to LOS after October 11 , if I choose to, not because I have to, or lose my non O if I had not renewed early, too many hoops jumped thru to get the dam thing, was not looking forward to that job again.

Quote from OP's post:

The last reason really is an Immigrations oversight issue. For retirement extensions they have 3 extra forms you fill out at the end of the process which are NOT on any website for downloading nor at the desk that hands out blank forms. One says you'll have 800K in the bank for the required time BEFORE applying next year. Another says you realize your extension of stay is dependant on your following the rules of said extension and it can be revoked if you don't. The last one is quite ambiguous and is basically a personal guarantee paper saying you guarantee you're who you say, live where you live, and have sufficient funds to live here. Really after reading it several times I still don't quite get the gist of it, and it has WAY too many blank fields to fill out quickly.

The same applies to extensions based on Thai wife. The forms are slightly different of course. Last month when I filed my application we asked the officer if we could have blank forms so we can prepare them for next year and were told NO! Reason given was that the officer has to observe who is filling in the forms, so it has to be done before (in front of?) the officer.

opalhort

My 1 year extension expires on october 11, 2010, I renewed it at Jomtien immigration in early June , because I was leaving for Canada on June 10, the guy did not even look at my airline ticket, did not care why i wanted to renew so early, he asked when you go Canada, I said next week, he said OK, stamp stamp, done. That was 4 months early, no documentation required , it really does depend on the individual immigration office and officer. Of course the multiple enrty permit could not be done until the next day, but the 3800 baht was received 4 months early as was the 1900 extension fee, so they were getting that cash 4 months early, good for them, and I can come back to LOS after October 11 , if I choose to, not because I have to, or lose my non O if I had not renewed early, too many hoops jumped thru to get the dam thing, was not looking forward to that job again.

Jomtien is different. For awhile they were openly advertising, come in as early as three months early, no excuses needed. we want you to come in early! Then, more recent reports that they don't like earlier than 2 months early without excuse. Your report is encouraging and a little surprising as I would have thought over 3 months early was really pushing it even with an excuse.

...For retirement extensions they have 3 extra forms you fill out at the end of the process which are NOT on any website for downloading nor at the desk that hands out blank forms...going with them already filled out is met with surprise by the Immigrations Officers and certainly speeds you thru the process...

Financial Notification.pdf

Terms.pdf

Statement.pdf

Thank you, tod-daniels, for the attachment of the three scanned forms. Where did you get them to fill them out in advance? Did you ask for and receive extra copies of them on an earlier visit to Chaeng Watthana Immigration office? Would a filled-out printout of your scans be acceptable to the immigration officers?

--

Maestro

Those forms are nice -- but maybe follow the Army dictum: Never Volunteer...

... how can one know in advance what it is one is supposed to acknowledge?

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best" is the motto, ie submit those documents that you know are a standard requirement (see Thai Police Order 777/2551 and Immigration Bureau Order 305/2551) and have the rest in your bag in case the immigration officer should happen to ask for any of it.

--

Maestro

Where did you get them to fill them out in advance? Did you ask for and receive extra copies of them on an earlier visit to Chaeng Watthana Immigration office? Would a filled-out printout of your scans be acceptable to the immigration officers?

Maestro

I routinely print out the scans I provided here on A4 sized paper and fill them out before I accompany people to Changwattana for them to secure their yearly extension of stay based on retirement. I got them early last year when they started having people fill them out at Suan Plu, as I realized having them filled out before-hand sped up the process. ..

I also totally agree; offering up supporting paperwork or documents that aren't asked for can at times be hit or miss.

In fact, I do 'hold back' these last three documents from the packet of stuff I initially hand them; until I see the Immigrations Officer reaching for those form on their desks. Then I hand them the pre-filled out ones and take their blank copies, telling the officer; "They're for next year." I mostly do that to make sure they haven’t changed the forms. ..

Thank you tod-daniels

Normally I only view this Board as a guest but your most informative and helpful post made me join up.

When I did my last retirement extension over at Ranong I was asked to sign an additional document which being in Thai I was unable to read. It was produced on a computer by another Immigration Officer whilst I waited. My wife advised me it was nothing so I duly signed. Ever since I have wondered what it was and hopefully your attachments will shed some light on this. :)

I know you should never sign something you do not understand but this has to be weighed up with getting your visa.