Target Species

Marksamui

I fish in Thailand a lot.

No trouble catching the normal fish to decent sizes, however I have never caught the following and so was wondering the methods, baits, location in the water etc of how to catch:

• Rohu
  • Featherback
  • Gaint Gourami
  • Walking Catfish
  • Striped Snakehead

I am told these are all in the lake (at Phuket) that I fish but I have never seen anyone catch them.

I will have ago but how best to target them?

PS. I don't have fly gear and am not made keen on fly fishing, although I don't mind lure fishing if that is the method of choice for some.

Thanks

Edited by Marksamui

first and foremost, if you arent fishing at a stocked private lake you are unlikely to catch much. Outside pay lakes you can get pla boo(guppi), pla duk(walking catfish), pla shun(snakehead),pla nin(perch) and pla shadow(giant snakehead) sometimes.

• Rohu

for this fish probably best with the very small feeder rig with bread. The one with lots of small hooks like those for pla nin will be fin. Fished on the bottom near centre of lakes/deep channels etc.

• Featherback

same as walking catfish but within 2 metres of the bank. 8 times in 10 you'll get the walking catfish.

• Gaint Gourami

floating bread feeder close to the bank. Like method for sawaii (stripped catfish) but smaller hooked piece of bread. Can use fruit. The fish is kind of like a Thai pacu. Likes vegitation such as cabbage/weed etc.

Keep bait near the surface.

• Walking Catfish

For walking catfish, aka pla duk you need to use a dead prawn on a single medium size hook. Freeline is fine or a small lead. It must sit on the bottom.

The best method is usually within about 4 metres of the bank. Best around 2 metres out.

• Striped Snakehead

Small piece of prawn/shrimp/fish suspended just under the surface near places the fish hides. Its an air breather staying near the surface and in good places to abush smaller fish.

eg. weed/posts etc A night you see them very near the bank often among the weeds/grass. Best to target it once you've seen it. Slowly drop a prawn in front of it.

good luck

• 1 month later...

Hi MarkSamui, TonyPhangan here!! lol I dont know about the other species but the striped snakehead (do you mean pla Chado, or pla Chon?) will go for lures VERY well. This is great fun too, especially when the lure is a surface lure! The surface lures to use are frogs which spray water when pulled (real frogs work too), you can find many many variations in the fishing shops. The thing is that the cast must be very accurate to some kind of snags/cover, the closer the better, and many times a strike will be instant if the fish is there, so be ready!! I havent fished in Phuket but mainly go to Chew Lan, between surat and phuket, brilliant adventure but it isnt cheap!! Another good type of lure to use is a pencil bait to "walk the dog" on the surface. A good time for fast, deep diving lures is after the fish has spawned and protects its young fiercely. PM me if you are interested in a Chew Lan trip, I try to go there at least once a month in the good fishing period i.e. soon! Rain coming late this year and low water levels have delayed the best time so I am awaiting a "nod" from the lake boatman :D

I hope this helps.