Falang Charging 100 Baht For Photos With His Bird On The Beach

Jayroo

Hi all, was just wondering if this is pernitted, there is an american falang that sits on the beach footpath with his macaw, and asking for 100 baht to tourists that wish to pose with his bird for photos. He was actually pretty rude and arrogant, I went over to compliment on what a beautiful bird he had, and I got this very bad, defensive kind of vibe from him. I asked whether I could pet the bird, and if it would bite if I did, and in a condecending tone replied, "of course it doesn't" lol anyway then he goes, I can put it on your shoulder, u take your camera out, take a photo, and then give me 100 baht, haha I just laughed at him and said is that what you do ey, he didnt like that and got a tad angry and replied, well I got tired of giving them away for free....anyway I replied well good luck to you, walked off, and he just looked away, gee had he been nice, I may have, just may have done it, but I didn't want to encourage this, especially if its not allowed, I'm sure to charge for photos he would need a company set up, with a proper working visa etc etc, which I'm pretty sure he doesn't have, I was also curious to know what penalties are involved if the police catch him doing it? just a fine?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just leave the guy alone. Even if he was rude and without a permit, just leave him alone. There are bigger things going on in the city that the officials should be concentrating their efforts on.

TheWalkingMan

what are you talking about? I didn't do anything to him, nor do I plan to, it was a simple question, why so concerned, are you the guy with the bird charging for photos? I want to know if it's allowed, cause maybe I want to bring my cockatoo to town and charge tourists 100 baht for pics too, then I can retire in Pattaya.....

Just leave the guy alone. Even if he was rude and without a permit, just leave him alone. There are bigger things going on in the city that the officials should be concentrating their efforts on.

TheWalkingMan

I strongly dissagree. I think you should report him for not having a work permit etc. Also Thai's need to pay for space on the beach if they want to conduct any sort of business so why should this arrogant fat German get to do it free. He is breaking the law. Report him. I I was there I sure would. Next thing you know, farangs will be setting up all over the place free and taking away jobs from the Thai's. They need the money NOT him. I would call this class "A" Loser !!!!!!!!

TheWalkingMan

How is ur bird anyway? :rolleyes:

It may be he is jsut fed up with people wanting to play with his bird. Where I come from you leave other peoples birds alone.

In another country I lived in I got so sick of people trying to get free english lessons I used tgo reply I charge xxx per hour when would you like to start. If they accepted this I would often help them free anyway.

^I want to know what sort of individual thinks they have the right to keep a bird like that anyway. What has happened here, has he had its wings clipped, chained, why isnt the bird in its natural wild habitat? Pity really when people have to keep exotic pets, ones that should be left to roam freely without being kept for human entertainment.

It may be he is jsut fed up with people wanting to play with his bird. Where I come from you leave other peoples birds alone.

In another country I lived in I got so sick of people trying to get free english lessons I used tgo reply I charge xxx per hour when would you like to start. If they accepted this I would often help them free anyway.

Well he's obviously sitting there out in the open viewable to everyone walking past with his beautiful big bird on his arm for some sort of attention, if he doesn't want to be approached then maybe he should stay home with his bird...Also he made it very clear he would put in on my shoulder, take a photo only if I gave him 100 baht in return.

TheWalkingMan

I strongly dissagree. I think you should report him for not having a work permit etc. Also Thai's need to pay for space on the beach if they want to conduct any sort of business so why should this arrogant fat German get to do it free. He is breaking the law. Report him. I I was there I sure would. Next thing you know, farangs will be setting up all over the place free and taking away jobs from the Thai's. They need the money NOT him. I would call this class "A" Loser !!!!!!!!

I agree, if he is breaking the law, then he simply should be stopped. But I'm not the law, nor do I like getting people into trouble, not my style... It was just a question out of curiousity, on what penalty is involved if he does get busted by police?

^I want to know what sort of individual thinks they have the right to keep a bird like that anyway. What has happened here, has he had its wings clipped, chained, why isnt the bird in its natural wild habitat? Pity really when people have to keep exotic pets, ones that should be left to roam freely without being kept for human entertainment.

Apparently it is hand raised and he brought it over from Hawaii.. I agree birds like that belong in the wild, but it is a pet like a dog, or cat, and at least he doesn't have it locked up in a cage.. The only thing that concerns me is whether or not this is legal, which we're gathering here that it isn't.....

Well he's obviously sitting there out in the open viewable to everyone walking past with his beautiful big bird on his arm for some sort of attention, if he doesn't want to be approached then maybe he should stay home with his bird...Also he made it very clear he would put in on my shoulder, take a photo only if I gave him 100 baht in return.

100 baht for a bird on you shoulder is cheap...see how much a katoe costs.

100 baht for a bird on you shoulder is cheap...see how much a katoe costs.

The price here isn't the point, the point is that he is most likely breaking the law, that is the issue at hand....I see Thais working their asses off to cook yummy food for just 30 baht, and this lazy ass is just sitting their with a defenseless bird, charing for photos, even when the Thais do it with exotic animals it's still wrong imho....

B)Maybe it was just joking. I have a bird with long black hair. How much should I charge for a picture??

TheWalkingMan

How did the guy go from being an American Falang to an arrogant fat German? That trick by itself is worth 100 baht.

Edited by kandahar

TheWalkingMan

what are you talking about? I didn't do anything to him, nor do I plan to, it was a simple question, why so concerned, are you the guy with the bird charging for photos? I want to know if it's allowed, cause maybe I want to bring my cockatoo to town and charge tourists 100 baht for pics too, then I can retire in Pattaya.....

I think there is already a cockatoo in Pattaya!!!!

B)Maybe it was just joking. I have a bird with long black hair. How much should I charge for a picture??

mate he wasn't joking at all, he was dead serious, plus he was a grumply old american man, most likely doesn't remember how to joke.

mate he wasn't joking at all, he was dead serious, plus he was a grumply old american man, most likely doesn't remember how to joke.

B)How do you know he is an a mexican american??

Who gives a toss whether he's breaking the law or not or if he's got a work permit which he most likely has not. We all break the law the each and every time we pay for sex in the LOS. If you're so inclined there must be many petty rules and regulations you can get enforced back in Falangland.

Edited by yogi100

pretty much agree with yogi100, except on the breaking the law when paying for sex, because it is legal.

more freedom is what I come to LOS for.

People happy to "report" others for making pocket money because they have a bird on their shoulder or asking questions about work permit or other administrative stuff should report back to farangland and become nieghborhood vigilantes there (or green activists). Don't pollute the LOS with your policing please.

People happy to "report" others for making pocket money because they have a bird on their shoulder or asking questions about work permit or other administrative stuff should report back to farangland and become nieghborhood vigilantes there (or green activists). Don't pollute the LOS with your policing please.

Agree

Edited by Rimmer
Flame removed

<snip> he goes, I can put it on your shoulder, u take your camera out, take a photo, and then give me 100 baht <snip>

If the cost of sex were 50 baht, a bird on the shoulder would be worth two with a bush.

I agree with Manarak that most of us like the freedom and lack of regulation here and find reporting Thais or farang for petty crimes repugnant. I on the other hand I won't give a grumpy farang 100 baht for a photo op with his captured bird, a pleasant Thai doing the same thing for employment is somewhat more acceptable to me. If this guy is stepping on "toes" on the beach the Thais will run him off one way or another.

Edited by gerry53

I know the man and the Macaw, sometimes the Macaw is more friendly than his owner but Don is not walking around with Khanane trying to make money Khanane is his pet, goes everywhere with him including a special perch on Don's motor bike. They have been together for 15 years and have a great love for each other. Don brought Khanane from Hawaii, Khanane was not caught in the wild but was born and hand raised to be a pet and will probably out live Don. You sound like the kind of person who doesn't own a pet and begrudges anyone who does. Yes they both get grumpy at times, they offer pictures for B100 but I have never seen him actually accept the money, it primarily is to keep the tourists at bay. If he allows one person to take a picture with the bird for free pretty soon there are dozens of people wanting their turn, but at B100 they quickly vanish.

I agree with Manarak that most of us like the freedom and lack of regulation here and find reporting Thais or farang for petty crimes repugnant. I on the other hand I won't give a grumpy farang 100 baht for a photo op with his captured bird, a pleasant Thai doing the same thing for employment is somewhat more acceptable to me. If this guy is stepping on "toes" on the beach the Thais will run him off one way or another.

The Thai's sell photo ops with a Slow Loris, or Snake costing B5000 and pictures they charge up to B300. You won't find a Thai with a bird like Khanane as he would have to pay over B100,000 for such a bird. Some Macaws, the Hyacinth cost upwards of B500,000 and you can have your picture taken with one at Nong Nuch Village, don't know what the price is there.