Dual Thai-Us Citizen

For dual thai-us citizens who hold two passports. From what i understand, when leaving the US use the US passport and when entering thailand use the thai passport.

Upon leaving thailand again, i have heard that you can use the thai passport, but have to show the US passport to prove that a visa is not needed to enter the US.

Is this true?

I entered thailand 15 years ago on a US passport, and its on a very long overstay to say the least. But the old US passport expired 3 years ago, and now i hold a clean passport with no stamps in it at all.

So, will it be possible to show the thai passport upon departure of thailand? and show them the NEW CLEAN US passport to prove that i do not require a visa? and avoiding the overstay fine at the same time?

From what i have heard from various sources this is what i have heard to be possible. There is no doubt in my mind though, that if i was to show the old passport with entry stamp into thailand 15 years ago, i'd get fined for overstay. BUT i have the new US passport with no stamps in it,which does not indicate any overstay in thailand.

When leaving the US, am i correct in remembering that US passports are not stamped upon exit whatsoever?

This is a tricky question because i'm a dual citizen and do not require a visa to be here since i have thai citizenship, but on paper my US side is fineable and i dont see a thai official missing an opportunity to pocket 20k baht.

Edited by KRS1

Hmmmm, when was your Thai passport issued, and where?

If issued in the U.S., and you use this passport for exit, one of those nice Immigration guys or gals at Swampy might ask where's your arrival stamp, since you're planning to depart on the Thai passport.

On the other hand, if the passport was issued in Thailand and has no travels on it, then could just sort of claim that this is your first use of it for the exit.

Mac

KRS1, please read also this topic:

Immigration Directive Regarding Dual Nationality, Reporting Thais presenting two passports to revoke Thai nationality

You should allow for the possbility -- perhaps very remote possibility -- that when you present your new Thai passport on your departure from Thailand the immigration officer may see on his computer screen that your last movement across the Thai border was your entry into Thailand with a US passport, in which case he might consider it necessary to report your situation to the Special Branch of the Royal Thai Police for evaluation whether a recommendation should be be made to the Interior Ministry for a revocation of your Thai nationality.

I say that this possibility is remote because 15 years ago your arrival was probably not entered in a computer database or, if it was, this database is perhaps not in a system that will allow the immigration officer at the departure point see it on his screen.

The risk is greater today because passports have machine-readable code on the ID page and Thailand's border posts are equipped to read that code.

--

Maestro

If you entered Thailand on a US passport you will need to leave Thailand on a US passport. If you have a new passport, you need to have all your stamps transferred form the old to the new passport. In your case you have an overstay. I suggest to wait till a few days before you leave Thailand and go and visit immigration with both US-passports, the fine of 20,000 baht and proof of the ticket out of the country and your Thai passport. They will sort your passport out there, and probably also the overstay. Next time you enter Thailand you use the Thai passport. You could show immigration the Thai passport when you leave, but than you would still be in Thailand on your US passport in the immigration files. That might come back to haunt you another time. Only at the airline check-in do you show both passports to confirm you don't need a visa.

I don't want to pay the fine.

The new US passport was issued in Bangkok 3 years ago

The Thai passport was issued after coming back to Thailand, I got it 2 years ago.

So WHAT IF i simply told them i came back to Thailand 15 years ago on ...'a'... Thai passport, which has...'since expired'... and this is my...'new'... Thai passport with no stamps in it upon exit...and at the same time my US passport had also expired and this is the new passport.

Both passports should be stamp free under this scenario, yes? Because if i hold two passports, i would NOT have used the US passport to enter Thailand. It should still be stamp free because the US does not stamp US passports upon departure - (can someone verify this ?), regardless of how many years ive been here expired or not...right or wrong?

I cant remember if they even had the system computerized back then, all i remember is the immigration official busy stamping everyone's passport. It didn't appear he'd have enough time to hand type everything and they weren't microchipped backed then so there was no swiping.

This whole situation should be moot anyway, Thai nationals shouldn't have to pay an overstay fine in the first place.

is immigration at the airport open 24 hours?

...This whole situation should be moot anyway, Thai nationals shouldn't have to pay an overstay fine in the first place...

A dual Thai/US national who chooses to arrive and stay in Thailand with his US passport not only enjoys the benefits that the status as a foreigner gives him but he also has the duties and obligations of that status.

...So WHAT IF i simply told them i came back to Thailand 15 years ago on ...'a'... Thai passport, which has...'since expired'... and this is my...'new'... Thai passport with no stamps in it upon exit...and at the same time my US passport had also expired and this is the new passport...

If you were born in Thailand, for all anybody knows you have never been abroad and your current Thai passport is your first one.

If you choose to leave with your Thai passport you do not need to show also your US passport to the immigration officer, nor should you mention your dual nationality to him. Only the airline staff at the check-in counter needs to see your US passport, as evidence that you do not require a US visa for your flight to the USA.

If you choose to leave with your US passport, you must first go the immigration office to get the arrival information in your old passport transferred to the new passport and, of course, pay the overstay fine. From the immigration's procedural point of view, using your US passport to leave Thailand would be the correct thing to do.

--

Maestro

• 2 weeks later...