Phuket Bars Closed For Two Days

webfact

So now we judge the worlds greatest religions on their alcohol content???

Well, Christ's blood is represented by wine at Holy Communion. I think that makes alcohol a large part of Christian culture. Cannot understand how some people can't respect that.

So you DO??

Neither -just someone whio's life isn't ruled by alcohol or any other drug - only an alcky could consider it a smug comment - ashamed of their dependency on drink

It astounds me how almost every action by the expat community in Thailand is dominated by alcohol.

Where they go, when they go, how they get there, what they do when they're there, and finally waking up the next day and trying to excuse what they did.

THey just don't have an inkling of how their lives are completely dominated by the breweries or their dealer of choice.

fancy a thread with people saying how they will get through the next few hours - not by doping something but by getting hold of a drink one way or another as if it is crucial to life or its enjoyment.

When was the last time they did anything - had a good laugh or had sex even without a beer or two?...

Your comment would be vastly improved if it stopped after the first word. That was short, punchy, and said it all. Things kind of went downhill from there. Your perspective on this subject is limited, indeed. First, I believe you have made far too sweeping generalizations about those whose dietary intake does not match yours. You seem to think that anyone that has a drink cannot stop themselves from doing things they will need to excuse the next day. Perhaps that is true in your circle of familiarity, but I can assure you that this behavior is not representative of the majority of the expat community.

You also feel that your value system is the one true and correct one. I say this because you gave no indication of why you thought the behavior that you so wrongly ascribed to the majority of the expat community would be bad. Hey, I can think of many reasons why I think over-drinking is bad, but I don't naturally assume that my view is correct. So if I want to criticise something and have your view accepted outside of your Sunday morning meetings, you should at least try to give a reason as to why the thing is wrong. I have come to learn that nothing is wrong just because I believe it to be. So maybe you should get just a little less egocentric and write something like drinking alcohol is expensive or it shortens one's lifespanor whatever, and then explain why you think these are bad things.

And you have no dependencies? I rather doubt that. How many meals have you skipped this week? Or are your days all scheduled around sticking calories into your mouth? Understand that I am not sayin that is a bad thing, but I sure am saying that everyone that read your piece flat out knows that you are not nearly in such control of your physical self as you want us to believe. No drugs? What about glucose precursors? Let's just see how long you can stay away from those babies. Do they cause diabetes, strokes, obesity, and a whole laundry list of other uncomfortable things if taken to excess? You betcha.

Yep, I think those that eat to excess are not acting in their best interest the same as those that drink too much. But you won't find me pontificating that you are a shame to the community because you partake.

Edited by LivinginKata
Flaming removed

Well I guess the bars are just not the same anymore with all the girls covered in the burka :D Just kidding people

In Patts you see already lots of schoolchildren and women wearing typical muslim headscarves.

Even some staff in Carrefour and Tesco Lotus do.

So you DO??

Yeah, I do fellah. I am also something that's called "tolerant". Generally I am polite, too; both qualities you seem to lack.

I'd like to ask your religion because thet're resident preacher does not come across as belonging to ant y established one.

Also, as I have swaid, there is no legal basis for this ban. Please explain then why it is in place.

And the whining starts again...

This shouldn't come as a surprise. The rule has been the same for as long as I can remember. Religion is important for Thais, just in case some haven't noticed. Respect it or go home. Most countries have some kinds of restrictions with regards to the consumption of alcohol, many of them connected to religion, and that goes for some Christian countries as well. Those who have problems getting through a couple of days without the stuff, should seek help. Seriously.

Not all Thais are Buddhist, and even those who are might not agree with this decision. BTW who made this decision for the rest of the community, shouldn't they just mind their own business? It seems Thailand is copying every thing I dislike about the west, more rules, more regulations, any excuse will do for the man with the licence to assert his Authority on to others.

Lets face it its a storm in a bloody Teacup If you live here you know this happens a few times a year and you can always find a place to drink or be entertained In Bangkok. Can't be any different in Phuket. Tourists can always get a drink in their hotel if they came to drink . If they came for a bit of "hows you father" then the alcohol ban wont stop that. And just think about the many things you can do and see here that you can't do at home in farang land. Thailand is very accommodating. If you don't like it go elseware. I'm so sick of F**king Thai bashing on this site by people who are here because it is not westernized. I hope it never does become westernised. How much fun would it be to live here then. Maybe they would enforce the prostitution laws.

Would it not be more respectful if people were given a choice whether to abstain or not, maybe Buddhists should abstain on Buddhist holy days,people coming here on vacation should be able to have a glass of wine with dinner, I used to give up drinking during lent, I did not demand everyone else in the U.K. had to abstain with me whether they were catholic or not. Thailand has many problems at the moment, tourists looking to spend money in bars and clubs should not be one of them, why not ban people from smoking on holy days, maybe food also, ban watching tv, sex,drugs,

THAILAND MOVE INTO THE 21ST CENTURY OR BECOME A 3RD RATE TOURIST DESTINATION

Sorry you are a bit late in your prediction many of the posters on Thaivisa believe it is already a 3rd rate destination for different reasons.

:o I thought everyone that had a hi so partner/spouse. Hi so missus would expect compliance.

Does this mean, that Mr. Forbes is correct when he says that it's not so???? My goodness.:ph34r:

Jeez, really are the 2 days going to kill you? Follow Jimi and Julemanden's cue and party hardy at your own cribs.

The last thing on my Thai friends minds is booze right now. (I think the naked lady fantasy is still there though - my friend keeps mumbling about this girl at work that he's in love with.) Seriously, if you have Thai ladies in the house or families, make them happy and go with the flow. Besides, why the heck are you guys going to bars on a weekday? If your parents find out, you're going to be in big trouble. I bet some of you are going to get grounded.

I was on holiday from Australia with my young family in Rawai recently.

Only my second time in Phuket / Thailand but I was so impressed with the Rawai area that I will be coming back next year for 3 weeks to allow the family to get a better taste of the place.

However, my query is this: - I couldn't buy a few bottles of Singha in the Lotus Tesco one afternoon but a few steps and 30 seconds down the street in a more 'rustic' type shop I could buy as much as I wanted.

What's with that ?

I need the heads up as sometimes I need beer urgently (I must be one of those people whose life revolves around alcohol as posited above).

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Only my second time in Phuket / Thailand but I was so impressed with the Rawai area that I will be coming back next year for 3 weeks to allow the family to get a better taste of the place.

However, my query is this: - I couldn't buy a few bottles of Singha in the Lotus Tesco one afternoon but a few steps and 30 seconds down the street in a more 'rustic' type shop I could buy as much as I wanted.

What's with that ?

I need the heads up as sometimes I need beer urgently (I must be one of those people whose life revolves around alcohol as posited above).

Thanks in advance.

Steve

There is a law which states that alcohol cannot be sold in small quantities between the hours of 2pm to 5pm. Some smaller establishments do not enforce this rule but you can still buy at Tesco Lotus provided you are buying a large quantity, not sure what it is but I would say at least two cases of beer.

Would it not be more respectful if people were given a choice whether to abstain or not, maybe Buddhists should abstain on Buddhist holy days,people coming here on vacation should be able to have a glass of wine with dinner, I used to give up drinking during lent, I did not demand everyone else in the U.K. had to abstain with me whether they were catholic or not. Thailand has many problems at the moment, tourists looking to spend money in bars and clubs should not be one of them, why not ban people from smoking on holy days, maybe food also, ban watching tv, sex,drugs,

THAILAND MOVE INTO THE 21ST CENTURY OR BECOME A 3RD RATE TOURIST DESTINATION

Well this is Buddhist lent. Thailand is a Buddhist country. Although my GF never drinks, she did spend most of the day going to three different wats, giving monks some basic necessities and making merit. Also, no sex for a couple of days. Many Thai wear white and only eat vegetarian food. But it doesn't bother her or anyone else if I have a drink. As stated in the article you can buy alcohol at retail outlets. So what if a bar closes for two days? Even they need a holiday! And I'm sure most places will serve you a glass of wine with your dinner. It's just a two day holiday. I'm used to it as I have lived here for years and I respect their culture and ways. Most Thai's don't really care about tourists, unless they're making money from them. I certainly don't really care about them either. I guess the UK is very wonderful, why anyone want to leave? I wouldn't know, I've never had the desire to go there. Although the beer from there is pretty good.biggrin.gif

What's with that ?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve, I have lived in Rawai for over four years and the law about alcohol sales was put into effect a few years ago, which is another topic. It is mostly only observed by large companies; Tesco, 7-11, Big C, Tops, etc. You can go in any mom and pop Thai shop and buy anything at anytime they are open. There are a few holidays, like the King's birthday that most shops won't sell, so just be aware of the holidays and buy ahead. There is a pinned thread on Thai holidays on this forum. Or know the local shop owner and it's never a problem. Also as mentioned in the previous post if you buy over a certain number of liters you can buy anytime. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here.

Jimi

Neither -just someone whio's life isn't ruled by alcohol or any other drug - only an alcky could consider it a smug comment - ashamed of their dependency on drink

It astounds me how almost every action by the expat community in Thailand is dominated by alcohol.

Where they go, when they go, how they get there, what they do when they're there, and finally waking up the next day and trying to excuse what they did.

THey just don't have an inkling of how their lives are completely dominated by the breweries or their dealer of choice.

fancy a thread with people saying how they will get through the next few hours - not by doping something but by getting hold of a drink one way or another as if it is crucial to life or its enjoyment.

When was the last time they did anything - had a good laugh or had sex even without a beer or two?...

Your comment would be vastly improved if it stopped after the first word. That was short, punchy, and said it all. Things kind of went downhill from there. Your perspective on this subject is limited, indeed. First, I believe you have made far too sweeping generalizations about those whose dietary intake does not match yours. You seem to think that anyone that has a drink cannot stop themselves from doing things they will need to excuse the next day. Perhaps that is true in your circle of familiarity, but I can assure you that this behavior is not representative of the majority of the expat community.

You also feel that your value system is the one true and correct one. I say this because you gave no indication of why you thought the behavior that you so wrongly ascribed to the majority of the expat community would be bad. Hey, I can think of many reasons why I think over-drinking is bad, but I don't naturally assume that my view is correct. So if I want to criticise something and have your view accepted outside of your Sunday morning meetings, you should at least try to give a reason as to why the thing is wrong. I have come to learn that nothing is wrong just because I believe it to be. So maybe you should get just a little less egocentric and write something like drinking alcohol is expensive or it shortens one's lifespanor whatever, and then explain why you think these are bad things.

And you have no dependencies? I rather doubt that. How many meals have you skipped this week? Or are your days all scheduled around sticking calories into your mouth? Understand that I am not sayin that is a bad thing, but I sure am saying that everyone that read your piece flat out knows that you are not nearly in such control of your physical self as you want us to believe. No drugs? What about glucose precursors? Let's just see how long you can stay away from those babies. Do they cause diabetes, strokes, obesity, and a whole laundry list of other uncomfortable things if taken to excess? You betcha.

Yep, I think those that eat to excess are not acting in their best interest the same as those that drink too much. But you won't find me pontificating that you are a shame to the community because you partake.

I you read all that into my post? how amazing!!!!

The worrying thing is not whethet you can drink or not; You can! As the openinhg post says, you can buy Al K Hol in shops. The concern is that there is no legal basis for the police imposing the ban.

Thailand is fast becoming a police state and not one with a police force run by the gov. The police impose roadside fines at will and now they are the ones who decide when the bars close.

As for those who say "respect the country's rools", it would be possible to do such if there were actually any. When you book a holiday, you do not ask the local police chief what his plans for your stay are.

Finally, if Thailand were truly Buddhist, they would all be teetotal vegetarians as that was what the Buddha requested of them. Sadly, not even a small percentage of a small percentage are.

Hmmmm..... you say:

"When you book a holiday, you do not ask the local police chief what his plans for your stay are."

Not so sure that this is true - esp. on this verdant little planet.....there are Eyes & Ears most everywhere. methinks.

regards,

Brewsta

Saudi Arabia July 2010

Edited by Brewsta

they can always drink in their rooms. Theres more to Phuket than its bars

When u travel to a foreiogn country you should repsect and learn of the customs which far to few tourists seem to do.

Nonsense, tourists don't mind and I understand them, that's why I will never travel to any muslim country where they want me to respect some retarded rules... Especially because when anyone goes to my country they do what they want, as we don't have of these stupid tradition...

Your country has no drug / intoxicant rules at all ??

If there's one issue to get people really excited on this site - alcohol - how sad!

Hope you all manage to survive - 2 whole days without a drink.....what kind of lives do you lead????

I purchased 5 cases of beer & two bottles of wine before this went into effect. I do feel for the tourists who do not have the option of going to bars & having a few drinks & some fun & for the bar owners who surely will lose quite a bit of money. Religious holidays should not be forced on people who are not of that faith. Thailand will always be backward to a certain extent - 2 to 5 no alcohol sales as Thaksin said, "there were too many minors buying alcohol & hanging around the schools " we all know that was BS, & the ridiculous horrible photos on tobacco products, etc. Thailand is where I have chosen to retire but I certainly disagree with many Thai laws. I am forced to accept them but I can damned well protest. Well, of course one subject is off limits but I have sense enough to never, ever mention it.

I in no wat agree with the Thai handling of alcohol restrictions - and I haven't voiced agreement anywhere.

. In fact hardly anyone has criticised the laws, there enforcement or even their worth - their only concern is where to get a drink...QED