Convention Center

kcore

Which convention centre is that?

In addition to under utilised facilities at Ratchapruek, the Shangri-La, Empress, Meridian and probably a few more of the larger hotels, I see that not only are they well started on building the huge facility out near the 700 Year Stadium but what I took to be an extension to the multi-storey car park at Airport Plaza is (you've guessed it) yet another Convention Centre.

I'm thinking the event you saw was the New Convention Centre Planning Conference and Trade Fair where the relatives of major local movers and shakers can submit inflated bids for facilities that will never be used beyond the first few months but will increase the status of the city and revive tourism, not to mention line the pockets of the contractors at the expense of the public.

Which convention centre is that?

In addition to under utilised facilities at Ratchapruek, the Shangri-La, Empress, Meridian and probably a few more of the larger hotels, I see that not only are they well started on building the huge facility out near the 700 Year Stadium but what I took to be an extension to the multi-storey car park at Airport Plaza is (you've guessed it) yet another Convention Centre.

I'm thinking the event you saw was the New Convention Centre Planning Conference and Trade Fair where the relatives of major local movers and shakers can submit inflated bids for facilities that will never be used beyond the first few months but will increase the status of the city and revive tourism, not to mention line the pockets of the contractors at the expense of the public.

All of those are private expo rooms at private hotels.

I'm sure the OP was referring to the event at the CMU Convention Center, the only real convention center that I know of in CM. It's the It's the Handicraft and Financial Expo. Yes, that's an odd combination. It wasn't the same old junk that you see at every fair. Lots of higher end stuff. It's been going on for a while so I'm not sure how much longer it's got to run.

El jefe - you are correct. CMU convention Center and it is an odd mix. I was just there and u have your choice of high end hand crafts.nice ceramics and all the usual suspect and tax services......kinda strange but, what ever floats you boat. Run through the 27 and so so.....I did seee some nice art and clothing that I have not seen b-4 at the local market including Sunday Market. Nice to see Baan Celedaon and some of the other factories were also represented. A good way to kill the afternoon which I did. 3 stars out of 5.

Sorry. Post clearly too subtle <_<

Not too subtle. But for the record the same sort of waste of space occurs here in the US where every city of moderate size seems to find a way to build a "convention" center that inevitably becomes under utilized and whose subsequent financial losses are swept under the convoluted rugs of municipal finance. But the contractors who supported the concept all walk away happy as Halliburton.