Best Place To Live In Phuket?

BlueEasySleep

Have been living in Bangkok this year

Thinking about Phuket for next

Have only visited for a few days in Patong

Which beach area would be best for living?

I would be looking for a place to rent with a max price of about 12,000/bhat per month

I am in my late 20s, so not looking for a retiree area

What is the best way to find a place? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good broker?

Thanks for the help

Edited by BlueEasySleep

what do you want? do you want a house / apartment or a studio? serviced or not? how close / far do you want to be from the action?!

we are living in rawai, pretty quiet this time of year, but alright i high season i understand.. lots of thai boxing gyms around so a fair few farang.

what do you want? do you want a house / apartment or a studio? serviced or not? how close / far do you want to be from the action?!

we are living in rawai, pretty quiet this time of year, but alright i high season i understand.. lots of thai boxing gyms around so a fair few farang.

LOL! Pretty quiet, thank goodness. It is pretty quiet most of the year or I wouldn't live here! But being semi retired here for years, I'm not sure this is what the OP is looking for. A lot of bar scene, but not Patong? Then probably Kata, as he's coming from BKK. Why don't you come down and take a look around. Rent a car at the airport. Dave's was OK, but that was over 5 years ago. I can't really recommend a rental company at his point as I never use them. There are different areas of Phuket for different interests and conveniences. Oh and don't use a broker. Just look around and find a for rent sign from a Thai and you'll get a much better deal most of the time, then if you go through a farang and/or broker. It's not Bangkok. I did live there, then Patong, but up on the high road near the jungle, ha sip pee road. Then I moved to Rawai. But I need the ocean close by. Your needs would be different than mine. Good luck!

Edited by Jimi007

apartment or studio. furnished. a maid every week or two would be nice.

ideally I'd like to live within walking distance of some action. I'm a little bit worried about transportation there, as I know the taxis/tuk tuks are ripoffs, and I've gotten used to the BTS/taxis in bkk. How do people get around? do you need your own transportation?

Oh and don't use a broker. Just look around and find a for rent sign from a Thai and you'll get a much better deal most of the time, then if you go through a farang and/or broker. It's not Bangkok. I did live there, then Patong, but up on the high road near the jungle, ha sip pee road. Then I moved to Rawai. But I need the ocean close by. Your needs would be different than mine. Good luck!

if you skip the broker and rent from a thai, isn't there a danger of getting ripped off on electricity and getting your deposit back when you move out?

Sounds to me like you want to be near the night life, Patong is the main centre then Kata/karon and Surin.

Rawai and Nai harn in the south of the island, Nai harn has a good swimming beach when the weather is right.

From my observations most expats living in the south of the island are long term residents and although there

is nightlife there it probably would not suite you.

With the price you are quoting for accommodation you would be looking for a small apartment-room with facility's

in the popular tourist areas especially if you want maid service as well.

The best way to do this is rent a motorbike and have a look around your self, find an area you like then check out

the accommodation available..

is there any easier way to find a place to rent other than just driving around until I see a sign?

You will find plenty of places with signs outside anywhere you look, you wont be driving-riding around a long time looking for them.

If you do not want to do that go through an agent and pay a higher rent.

Oh and don't use a broker. Just look around and find a for rent sign from a Thai and you'll get a much better deal most of the time, then if you go through a farang and/or broker. It's not Bangkok. I did live there, then Patong, but up on the high road near the jungle, ha sip pee road. Then I moved to Rawai. But I need the ocean close by. Your needs would be different than mine. Good luck!

if you skip the broker and rent from a thai, isn't there a danger of getting ripped off on electricity and getting your deposit back when you move out?

It all depends on the person you rent from, just as anywhere. I didn't have to pay any deposit. I just pay every three months in advance and I get the electric bill and go pay it at 7-11. But I've been here for years. They've never raised my rent either. It being low season you should be looking now, not waiting around for high season. There will be more available at a better rate. It will take a bit of a time investment on your part to find the area and the place you like. I have a 2 bedroom house with some land around it for 11,000 Bht. Patong is probably higher as Kata would be as well. Although when I did live in Patong I had a 1 bedroom apartment, small kitchen, living room, bathroom, electric, cable TV, wifi and cleaning included for 700 a month. But that was 5 years ago.

And this would be any different with a broker ??

yes

if you screw over the client of a broker, that broker won't bring you any more tenants

so the landlords deal with you more fairly when you're with a broker

at least that's how it works in bkk

Your giving the Brokers far more morals than they actually have..

Screw over some tenant the broker has forgotten about a year or more later.. And tell that broker he gets a months commish if he sends a new muppet along.. He starts going through his muppet-odex..

It all depends on the person you rent from, just as anywhere. I didn't have to pay any deposit. I just pay every three months in advance and I get the electric bill and go pay it at 7-11. But I've been here for years. They've never raised my rent either. It being low season you should be looking now, not waiting around for high season. There will be more available at a better rate. It will take a bit of a time investment on your part to find the area and the place you like. I have a 2 bedroom house with some land around it for 11,000 Bht. Patong is probably higher as Kata would be as well. Although when I did live in Patong I had a 1 bedroom apartment, small kitchen, living room, bathroom, electric, cable TV, wifi and cleaning included for 700 a month. But that was 5 years ago.

700 a month.. Must have been fantastic..

Bar brass sharing a room down a dank alley were paying 2000 - 2500 back at the turn of the millennium.

Without getting into the broker/ owner thing, check out the website that is a sponsor here on Thai visa. Has something to do with Houses in Phuket. Excellent website and will give you an idea about rents,etc. An honest brokerage.

You already received a lot of good advise from other posters here and I would listen to their advise:

1. Buy or rent a motorbike for transportation, it's fun and a convenient way to get around and you will enjoy not being stuck in traffic jams half of your day, as in Bangkok.: Just be cautious drive with the flow and be aware that everything can happen.

2. Do not rent any place through a broker. I have rented 7 or 8 different places and never had any problems. Always got a fair price, paid the electric bills myself at 7/11, deposit never a problem and met some very nice Thai landlords, some of them I still visit everynow and than for a chat, even I don't rent their place anymore.

Now is the best time to find a good place as it is low season and for 12.000 Baht, you should be able to get a good condo or house. I only rent small houses, so I am no help with condos.

3. Best area to live, really depends what you want, coming from Bangkok, probably Patong area, as it is closer to the action and more walkable than other areas. Having said that, I would never want to live in Patong, or in Bangkok. I've been in Phuket 6 years came here when I was 21 , so I had my fair share of party in Patong. But it was always in for the action and out for living.

Kata is nice, and has some nightlife, beaches and is less touristy than Patong, but just a short ride away from Patong., Rawai/Nai Harn might be to quiet for you.

Personally, I like Chalong best, as it close to the beaches, but also to shopping, Villa Market, Central and not too far from Phuket town. Patong is a longer ride, but I prefer being far away from Patong.

As others have said, come down here for a few days, get a ride and drive around to see where you like it. You will probably also find a good place to rent on that occassion.

I will probably move to Patong or Kata at first since I am alone. The quieter beaches would probably be a little too isolated.

Do many of the thai landlords speak enough english? How much deposit do they generally request?

Since you live in Bangkok you should know the answer to that.

You have been given all the answers you require.

You will be asking where to buy soap and toilet paper next.

what? I've rented one condo in bangkok through a broker. how should I know what dealing with landlords in phuket is like?

if you don't want to help out, don't respond. no need to be rude.

what? I've rented one condo in bangkok through a broker. how should I know what dealing with landlords in phuket is like?

I have helped you out and so have a lot of other people.

Some things you need to do for yourself and you have been told how to do it.

On the hillside above Kata are a ton of places for rent. Across from the post office up on the hillside below CC Bloom Resort.

I lived up there in 2003. Get a place with a balconey and a view because during high season Kata Resort regularly shoot off fireworks.

Grab yourself a girl, some cocktails, kick your feet up and watch the fireworks. Enjoyable.

On the hillside above Kata are a ton of places for rent. Across from the post office up on the hillside below CC Bloom Resort.

I lived up there in 2003. Get a place with a balconey and a view because during high season Kata Resort regularly shoot off fireworks.

Grab yourself a girl, some cocktails, kick your feet up and watch the fireworks. Enjoyable.

Thank you, I will check that area out.

He wouldn't be the first, and defiantly wont be the last to ask questions of a common sense nature.

I highly suggest somewhere in Phuket Town or its immediate surroundings (Rassada or Wichit) . Lots of properties available at cheap prices, convenient, great food...and there is even public transport...Anywhere else on the island you will fall into the 'lets rip off the tourist' trap to some extent.

Transport: get a cheap, used car if you can afford it.

Brokers: No need: cut out the middle man (or woman).

Best of luck and welcome to Phuket.