Best Place To Live In Phuket?

BlueEasySleep

I highly suggest somewhere in Phuket Town or its immediate surroundings (Rassada or Wichit) . Lots of properties available at cheap prices, convenient, great food...and there is even public transport...Anywhere else on the island you will fall into the 'lets rip off the tourist' trap to some extent.

Transport: get a cheap, used car if you can afford it.

Brokers: No need: cut out the middle man (or woman).

Best of luck and welcome to Phuket.

I would not point anyone toward Rassada, that is one of the most crime ridden areas in Phuket. You check the last five murders in the Phuket Gazette and guaranteed 3 of them were in the Rassada area.

Also not sure about the "rip off the tourist trap", basically Phuket is the wealthiest province in Thailand. You put on top of that wanting to live in a "nicer" area on the island, and sure, it's going to be more expensive than the same in............I dunno.....Chiang Rai lets say.

Nai Harn is the best and thats it, lots of night life and bars no its nice and quiet dam_n never seen so much building going on, where can i move next? i started in patong so Kata so Nai Harn, any quiet places down south now?

Nai Harn is the best and thats it, lots of night life and bars no its nice and quiet dam_n never seen so much building going on, where can i move next? i started in patong so Kata so Nai Harn, any quiet places down south now?

Panwa and the south facing beach looking at Chalong (Koh Keaw ??) is the last 'quiet' bit anywhere south I reckon..

I highly suggest somewhere in Phuket Town or its immediate surroundings (Rassada or Wichit) . Lots of properties available at cheap prices, convenient, great food...and there is even public transport...Anywhere else on the island you will fall into the 'lets rip off the tourist' trap to some extent.

Transport: get a cheap, used car if you can afford it.

Brokers: No need: cut out the middle man (or woman).

Best of luck and welcome to Phuket.

I would not point anyone toward Rassada, that is one of the most crime ridden areas in Phuket. You check the last five murders in the Phuket Gazette and guaranteed 3 of them were in the Rassada area.

Also not sure about the "rip off the tourist trap", basically Phuket is the wealthiest province in Thailand. You put on top of that wanting to live in a "nicer" area on the island, and sure, it's going to be more expensive than the same in............I dunno.....Chiang Rai lets say.

I think you need to consult a map with the tambon boundaries included. There are definitely some part of Rassada to be avoided, like down near the fishing port, but there also some nice areas too -- take a drive out to Koh Sireh some time if you don't believe me.

I suspect you aren't aware that Rajabhat, Tesco-Lotus, many of the neighborhoods near Bangkok Hospital and everything east of the bypass road (north of Tesco) are in Rassada as well. One good thing about the 'eastern flank' of Rassada, the part just east Toh Sae Hill and the Governor's mansion, is that it isn't overrun with foreigners blowing the price curve. It is probably also as far south as you can go on this island and still be in what could be considered 'real' Thailand.

All that said, I don't that part of Rassada would appeal to the poster as it is only convenient to Phuket Town nightlife.

I would advise him in the strongest terms not to live in Patong. Many people who live and work there eventually end up moving to Kathu Municipality because the can't take it...a nice place to visit, but...

All that said, I don't that part of Rassada would appeal to the poster as it is only convenient to Phuket Town nightlife.

I would advise him in the strongest terms not to live in Patong. Many people who live and work there eventually end up moving to Kathu Municipality because the can't take it...a nice place to visit, but...

Phuket town nightlife is actually not to bad. Different than Patong for sure, but quite entertaining. Especially, if you are able to speak ThaiB)

I would also NEVER want to live in Patong. Go there for a night of fun. But make sure you leave before dawn...

I will probably move to Patong or Kata at first since I am alone. The quieter beaches would probably be a little too isolated.

Do many of the thai landlords speak enough english? How much deposit do they generally request?

I am sure you will not be alone for long :rolleyes: where ever you decide to live on Phuket.

what do you mean?

Judging from your responses you are either trolling or very naive. K means it should not be long before someone is sharing your bed. If indeed you are very naive about things Phuket & Thailand in general you should take special care not to be ripped off.

Surely its about time the moderator closed this post like he does with others.

I am sure the OP will keep it going on for ever if he can with inane questions.

He has all the information he needs, know its about time for him to do is own

research.

Judging from your responses you are either trolling or very naive. K means it should not be long before someone is sharing your bed. If indeed you are very naive about things Phuket & Thailand in general you should take special care not to be ripped off.

I'm not naive, but would rather hear from others what the local scene is like. Who will be sharing my bed? Hookers or what?

With Bangkok I've found it's easy to find sex, which was a lot of fun in the beginning after coming from the west, but once you're past that stage it's difficult to find an actual girlfriend you can trust and spend some time with.

I'm wondering if it will be any different in the south. Obviously I'm aware of the sex for cash culture in Patong, but I wonder if you're also able to meet normal genuine girls.

Your giving the Brokers far more morals than they actually have..

Screw over some tenant the broker has forgotten about a year or more later.. And tell that broker he gets a months commish if he sends a new muppet along.. He starts going through his muppet-odex..

totally agree

and brokers dont need more than a week to forget screwed tenants

I'm not naive, but would rather hear from others what the local scene is like. Who will be sharing my bed? Hookers or what?

With Bangkok I've found it's easy to find sex, which was a lot of fun in the beginning after coming from the west, but once you're past that stage it's difficult to find an actual girlfriend you can trust and spend some time with.

I'm wondering if it will be any different in the south. Obviously I'm aware of the sex for cash culture in Patong, but I wonder if you're also able to meet normal genuine girls.

Most every girl, anywhere, wants or needs money. No, not much is different in the south as there are Thais from all over Thailand here, just as in Bangkok. Of course there are "normal" Thai girls. But they usually don't speak much, if any english. I guess it's time for you to learn some Thai... It took me a few years and quite a few mistakes, to find someone I like being with and she likes being with me... Even her parents like me, and not for my money.

When are you planning on coming south? As I said in a previous post now is the time to be looking for a place to live, not in October through March.

Most every girl, anywhere, wants or needs money. No, not much is different in the south as there are Thais from all over Thailand here, just as in Bangkok. Of course there are "normal" Thai girls. But they usually don't speak much, if any english. I guess it's time for you to learn some Thai... It took me a few years and quite a few mistakes, to find someone I like being with and she likes being with me... Even her parents like me, and not for my money.

When are you planning on coming south? As I said in a previous post now is the time to be looking for a place to live, not in October through March.

Yes I think perhaps I need to get fluent in Thai before I can find a decent girl. The English speakers tend to have a bit too much experience with farangs.

I'm on a lease here until the end of September, and then I may head to India for a few months, so I think looking in the high season is unavoidable.

Obviously Phuket has it's share of old timers with too much time on their hands to let the thread go.

Try to ignore them and listen to the relevant ones.

Hopefully you can find out as much as possible before you get here. (if the thread is allowed to run)

I suggest Nai Harn for long term living. Kata and Karon and Patong is mostly all tourists while Rawai, Chalong and Nai Harn is more expats and people who live here.

There is plenty of nightlife in the latter locations.

You will probably need to buy a motorbike or car to get around. Most all of us do.

The northern part of the island has more people with big money and less to do.

Phuket town is mostly Thai people and you (as a farang) may not be as welcome there as other places. (but many younger people prefer it)

I suggest renting short time to start and make the long term decision after you've been here a while and checked them all out.

It should be fun to discover the different neighborhoods and types of people who live in them.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Heading to Phuket next week. Going to be looking in Patong, Rawai, Kathu, Phuket city, and probably everywhere else.

Good luck! It's been raining here for days. There are tourists everywhere now, you can find places to stay, but probably not the place you would want to live in now. But I told you that before, so just check out different areas and find one that suits you. In about six months, the high season will be over and you can look for a place to live... Enjoy!

PS: I really don't like it here as much in the high season... Plus I think we're in for a few more months of rain. The La Nina weather pattern is here and predicted to last into next year. ohmy.gif