Adsl Speedtests Which One Is Right?

msg362

Hi, I'm lost when it comes to all of this!. I had a problem with speeds with my 6Mb TOT line. TOT ( who were great - 10.30 at night on Sunday!!) suggested I test with Speedtest.or.th (Ookla) with that I get close to maximum. If I test with others- Speedtest.net, ADSL Thailand or Thai visa ( all Ookla too) then i get speeds of 4 or less, one even down to less than 2. Ping varies too, one was ? 500 m/s when typically 27

TOT say or.th is the 'official' one but which one should I beileve.

I tested this morning within a few minutes of each other ,started with or.th then the other Ookla ones and finished with another or.th test to confirm that was still giving me fast readings

I've attached JPEGS of the tests

If anyone has a clue I'd be happy.

post-55921-032786200 1280283691_thumb.jppost-55921-059956900 1280283669_thumb.jppost-55921-069368300 1280283644_thumb.jp

post-55921-000721700 1280283560_thumb.jp

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speedtest dot nectec dot or dot th

and

speedtest dot or dot th

seem relatively accurate, reliable and repeatable; some of the others give pretty wild (non-repeatable) results, showing my 1 MBPS line as 8 MBPS and my 3 MBPS line as 1 MBPS.

I'd check the line stats in your modem to make sure you have the connection as provisioned, then make sure you have reliable DNS service. After that, if you experience problems ask here as there are some very network savvy people here (not me) who can help.

I would use the TOT suggested speedtest.or.th site to check your local speed/IP speed to DSLAM as it's probably less used, less loaded down than other servers like Speedtest.net, etc. Keep in mind your actual max speed, or "IP" speed, on the TOT plans will be approx 5-15% less than max sync speed (6.144Mb max sync in your case for a 6Mb plan) due to the DSL control/management bits. I'm on the TOT 4Mb plan and pull a rock stead 3.5Mb speed (IP speed) when using speedtest.or.th 24/7, rain or shine. The 5.8Mb you were getting is good!

Now when you use other speed test sites, you will probably get widely varying results due their capacity/capability, number of people using them, etc., especially when doing international speed tests but also for in-Thailand tests. I find the ThaiVisa speed test to almost always give me the lowest readings.

Now if you are concerned about not getting 6.144Mb speed, you must keep in mind on the TOT ADSL current plans the DSL control bits subtract from your max data/IP speed. You can check if you are getting full 6.144Mb sync speed by logging onto your modem and looking under whatever menu gives you your device/modem status & statistics like Download and Upload "Sync" speed, Signal to Noise, Attenuation, etc.

Cheers.

I recently installed Windows 7, but kept Xp on another drive so I can boot up with either. I have 3BB 10Mb package. When I do a speedtest using XP I get about 6Mb speed. If I immediately restart my computer and boot up Windows 7, then use the same speedtest I get over 9Mb. A 50% increase. This isn't a one off, I have tried it several times on different days and it is always like this. 50% higher when using W7.

I can't explain it.

Has anyone lost their international upload/download speed this morning around 10:30. I am with 3BB and for the last 12 hours I have had good speed (the correct speed) and now it looks as though someone has just decided to kill it (hey we don't want good service do we). Just would like to know if this is a countrywide thing or my local area in Pattaya.

I would use the TOT suggested speedtest.or.th site to check your local speed/IP speed to DSLAM as it's probably less used, less loaded down than other servers like Speedtest.net, etc. Keep in mind your actual max speed, or "IP" speed, on the TOT plans will be approx 5-15% less than max sync speed (6.144Mb max sync in your case for a 6Mb plan) due to the DSL control/management bits. I'm on the TOT 4Mb plan and pull a rock stead 3.5Mb speed (IP speed) when using speedtest.or.th 24/7, rain or shine. The 5.8Mb you were getting is good!

Now when you use other speed test sites, you will probably get widely varying results due their capacity/capability, number of people using them, etc., especially when doing international speed tests but also for in-Thailand tests. I find the ThaiVisa speed test to almost always give me the lowest readings.

Now if you are concerned about not getting 6.144Mb speed, you must keep in mind on the TOT ADSL current plans the DSL control bits subtract from your max data/IP speed. You can check if you are getting full 6.144Mb sync speed by logging onto your modem and looking under whatever menu gives you your device/modem status & statistics like Download and Upload "Sync" speed, Signal to Noise, Attenuation, etc.

Cheers.

Thanks I'll relax and stick with 'or.th'

Has anyone lost their international upload/download speed this morning around 10:30. I am with 3BB and for the last 12 hours I have had good speed (the correct speed) and now it looks as though someone has just decided to kill it (hey we don't want good service do we). Just would like to know if this is a countrywide thing or my local area in Pattaya.

yes !! Also with 3B - premier package.

It started getting slower here in Hua Hin an hour ago, and it is now really grinding along. Gmail hasnt worked at all in that time. Same sort of thing happened a couple of times yesterday morning and the day before.

Who needs 24/7.

Edited by fft100

Thanks for the update. I had a situation where I was down for four day a few months back but that apparently that was in my local area (or so they said) . The call centre are not answering the phone nor are the local Pattaya support...they never answer when they don't know what to do. When will they ever sort out a decent internet service in Thailand !!!!!

I recently installed Windows 7, but kept Xp on another drive so I can boot up with either. I have 3BB 10Mb package. When I do a speedtest using XP I get about 6Mb speed. If I immediately restart my computer and boot up Windows 7, then use the same speedtest I get over 9Mb. A 50% increase. This isn't a one off, I have tried it several times on different days and it is always like this. 50% higher when using W7.

I can't explain it.

Download and run the TCP Optimizer in Administrator mode.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Nice little speed test progam but since the server is located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, you are running an international speed test to Amsterdam. It won't tell you your speed to in-Thailand sites, USA sites, other Euopean sites, etc.

Edited by Pib

Cheers.

Thanks I'll relax and stick with 'or.th'

This flier from TOT shows the estimated speed for their packages. Example: the 6Mb plan provides a IP speed from 5-6Mb. Although you won't see "IP" mentioned in the chart, the Speed TOT references is the IP speed. When I was signing up for my 4Mb plan 3-4 months ago (fastest available to my moobaan), the service center rep did have a flyer on her desk which did say "IP Speed" instead of just "Speed" like attached chart shows...plus the rep's chart even had more speed specifics versus just saying a ballpark figure of 5-6Mb...the details actually got down to like saying 5.3 to 5.8Mb (or something like that...I don't remember the exact number). And on the day they hooked up my 4Mb plan the tech/installer said OK we should get about 3.3Mb IP speed...in firing up the laptop and running the speed test we got 3.5Mb IP speed...and this 3.5Mb IP speed has been rock steady 24/7, rain or shine....but I will be the first to admit how steady your connection stays depends a lot on the physical quality of your phone line (good connections, good wire, not being really far from the DSLAM/central office, etc).

PS: Don't get "IP" speed confused with "Sync" speed as you should still get a 6Mb (6.144Mb) Sync speed when checking your modem Sync speed stats in your modem's menu structure...a lesser Sync speed could mean your physical line quality in terms of Signal to Noice and Attenuation is not good enough to handle a full 6Mb Sync speed...this could be a problem in the phone line anywhere between the DSLAM/central office and your modem, to include your residence wiring....and of course it could be a funky modem. Cheers.

post-55970-040247400 1280300146_thumb.jp

Edited by Pib

I can't explain it.

Download and run the TCP Optimizer in Administrator mode.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Thanks for that. It actually worked as it was supposed to! An immediate 25% invrease. Tested before and after with only a few minutes in between. Learn something new everyday. Thanks again.

Edited by BWPattaya

I trust Speedtest.net. By the way, did you choose identical servers in all tests?

speedtest.net is quite definitely one of the test sites that the Thai ISPs prioritise traffic to. You should take all results from this site with a very large pinch of salt.

Agree with the other poster's comment above...

Speedtest gives some of the absolute most FALSE and FAKE results of any of the speed test sites I've seen/tried since living in Thailand.

I know my real speeds, as verified by actual file downloads and a variety of independent speed test sites in the U.S. such as DSLReports.com (that True and the other Thai ISPs wouldn't be familiar with or caching to give false results).

But invariably, Speedtest proclaims I'm getting 10 Mbits download -- and usually that exact figure every time and any time of the day -- on connections to the U.S. using my True 8 Mbit service.

If anyone believes that True is giving me faster speeds to the U.S. than their advertised/purchased package speeds for inside Thailand, I've got some bricks to sell you that really are gold. :whistling:

I trust Speedtest.net. By the way, did you choose identical servers in all tests?

Microsoft.com US Download

Use the above link as recommended by the so beloved by 1 or 2 members on here favourite website dslreports to test your download speed. It's a practical download for everyday internet test hosted on a good server.

Reference DSLReports speedtest its a bit of a nonsense for Thailand due to >200ms latency's to their servers the file size is too small for their speedtest to here (it's fine for a low MS Ping short distance) as it is over before the high bandwidth users in thailand gets a chance to accelerate.

Also if you run DSLReports Java speedtest and then run the flash speedtest the results are totally different! Also try the different servers still in CA the results are so so so different for a minor geographical change in location. It's a pointless speedtest.

The BEST and only indication is the above file download from microsoft.com US server which has the bandwidth available for the downloaders.

Download from a host that has the bandwidth available ie Microsoft, Sun, Apple etc. this will give you a true indication of your own bandwidth as it will not be limited by the hosts bandwidth in these cases.

I can max out 16mb True premium from Apple, Sun and Microsoft and indeed any other provider with decent infrastructure. A lot of people with limited knowledge on here blame True or their ISP when in fact half the time it's the server they are downloading from.

Of course standby for JFChandler and Pib claiming that True are manipulating the results from microsoft and apples websites as well as speedtest.net....haha biggrin.gif

You just don't believe anyone other than yourself 's and secondly overly paranoid that True are manipulating every figure under the sun!

I give up with the 2 resident village idiots on here as no matter what you post reference Itunes us store downloads, usenet downloads, Microsoft Downloads, Speedtest.net results with VALID ping to west coast.

Secondly one of the village idiots claimed i was using concurrent connections to a download server so that is not valid. How he worked out that it makes the data provided invalid i have no idea. Anyone knows to max out High bandwidth on your end multiple connections to a server is the only way of utilising your available bandwidth on your ISP package. It's not a cheat of the system you are simply maximising your available bandwidth. Ever heard of download managers? Getright etc?

They will never believe you. No point even discussing with them. Sorry your internet sucks. Mine is great! :) THE END.

The only thing that will make the village idiot happy is if I ignore: Torrents, Speedtest.net, Itunes US Downloads, Microsoft Downloads, Giganews Usenet Downloads, Blizzard Game Download US, Itunes 720p streaming as they are all manipulated by TRUE....and use his very outdated and somewhat pointless DSLReports Java/Flash small file size speedtester because that is the ONLY VALID TEST ON THE WHOLE NET - according to him

PS. Downloading Starcraft 2 North American version from Blizzard at 1.62MB/s as we speak. Don't tell me JFChandler they are manipulating those figures as well.......unbelievable you and Pib are like Dumb and Dumber :)

Edited by negreanu

Of course standby for JFChandler and Pib claiming that True are manipulating the results from microsoft and apples websites as well as speedtest.net....haha biggrin.gif

PS. Downloading Starcraft 2 North American version from Blizzard at 1.62MB/s as we speak. Don't tell me JFChandler they are manipulating those figures as well.......unbelievable you and Pib and are like Dumb and Dumber :)

My goodness...hit a nerve did we. ;)

My goodness...hit a nerve did we. ;)

Not really just wanted put a close to it and hopefully everyone will see that you two idiots really have no idea what you are talking about. Off to finish downloading Starcraft 2 in little over an 1hr 20mins for 6.99GB. Highly recommend True 16mb Premium to those who are considering it.

I'm not going to take any personal offense here, even though that was clearly what was intended by Mr. Boaster, who apparently had nothing better to offer. Too bad he rarely seems to back up his claims by posting here with any reliable proof.

Mr. Boaster, by the way, was the poster I referred to earlier as having promised in another thread to post his non Speedtest test results (from some independent speed test site in the U.S.), and of course, he never did.

As to the facts, I have found the Flash speed test at DSLReports.com to be generally accurate, as its results invariably mirror pretty closely all those I get from other reliable speedtest sites based in the U.S. -- ones that the Thai ISPs aren't caching or monkeying with, unlike the clearly false SpeedTest.net.

Here's links for a list of international speedtest sites and one large ISP based in Southern California that likewise would provide results not influenced by Thai ISP fakery... I checked all the California-based ones again today, and their results all were in the same neighborhood as DSLReports.com.

http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/

http://www.dslextreme.com/Support/Speedtest/Default.aspx

It's only because I get similar results from all of them, varying by the time of day here, and vastly different results from Speedtest.net, that I can clearly see Speedtest.net is not accurate here in Thailand.

It's pretty telling, for example, to have Speedtest.net telling me I'm getting a 10Mbits per second Internet connection between the U.S. and Thailand (on a True 8Mbit package, of course), and then my Netflix streaming from the U.S. has to repeatedly buffer because it can't maintain a 500 Kbits stream to my PC here.

Regarding multi-threaded downloading, I never said it can't be done or isn't legitimate. I did say, however, that that approach is useless for things like streaming live video via sites like Huli and Netflix, etc etc... Downloading files and Torrents and such is an entirely different matter. Since I don't do Torrents and such, I don't have any great experience with that approach to downloading. So I've never opined on that subject.

PS. Downloading Starcraft 2 North American version from Blizzard at 1.62MB/s as we speak. Don't tell me JFChandler they are manipulating those figures as well.......

Here, in this related TV thread, is my post showing three consecutive speedtests from Speedtest.net all claiming about 10Mbits to the U.S., and three consecutive speed tests from DSLReports showing 200-500 or so Kbits (less than half a Mbit)... all done on the same day at the same time.

As I've said before, if anyone thinks True is really giving me 10 Mbits to the U.S. on a DSL package that's only rated for 8 Mbits INSIDE Thailand, then I've got some bricks to sell you that really are gold... :whistling:

Edited by jfchandler

Microsoft.com US Download

Use the above link as recommended by the so beloved by 1 or 2 members on here favourite website dslreports to test your download speed. It's a practical download for everyday internet test hosted on a good server.

So you do realise that all the major Internet players have direct pipes into Thailand? So Google et. al. are for all intents "internal" traffic. I'd find it very bizarre if that MS download isn't coming via a fat pipe that terminates inside Thailand.

Supernova, I'm not seeing any big variation between the results from the Java and Flash versions of DSLReports speed test, though I gather there can be particularly with higher bandwidth accounts...

Here's the results of two pairs of Flash and Java tests I just ran (10:15 pm) from BKK using the site's L.A. based server connection. None of the four, of course, are anywhere close to the bogus 10Mbit result Speedtest.net shows for my 8Mbit True premium account...

And as I've indicated elsewhere, the actual real speeds to bounce around a lot, rather than the invariably constant results that Speedtest.net always shows.

It's always appreciated when folks here actually post their real results that others can see and understand, instead of just talking about them without any documentation.

post-53787-027312000 1280330615_thumb.jp

post-53787-026559800 1280330611_thumb.jp

post-53787-098922200 1280330616_thumb.jp

post-53787-073415000 1280330613_thumb.jp

So you do realise that all the major Internet players have direct pipes into Thailand?

em I don't think so dude. Microsoft/Google/Apple/Sun/Cisco do not have their own "Direct Pipes" into Thailand. However do please prove me wrong. rolleyes.gif

Yet another conspiracy theory.

You are getting the decent speeds from such providers simply because they have the bandwidth available. Do a tracecert it is certainly not their own "direct pipe into Thailand"

Edited by negreanu