Computer Hacked Into

leininger

I am ignorant and new to internet so I apologize for stupid questions. I was on internet just a few minutes ago and message came on "Hacked by Dr. Zero" and there were some website numbers to contact but I don't saee why one would want to contact dirtbag who just hacked into my computer but maybe should have. maybe he wants money to unhack my computer or something. I don't know. So I immediately shut off computer and then started it again and there was a security message saying computer shut down by windows to protect my computer. Then told me to do some things which I have no idea what they are talking about. I got hacked into before and wrecked computer and got new windows but now again with this. Can someone please tell me in way idiot such as myself can understand what should I do now. Thank you.

OK,l first things first - when you say a message came up, do you mean a pop up windows like message, like you get when you delete a file and windows asks you if you are sure? If so, was you on a web page at the time? If so, (bit l;et now), but nextr time see if minimizing IE (or whatever browser you are using) also hides the pop up. If it does, its a spoof page (javascript prompt) and is most likely just part of a hacked web site and not on your computer. Just stay away from the web site. PS: You may need to use Window+M to minimize.

it Defender is quite good (ish) too if you are on Vista or Win7 (legit). Otherwise, I prefer Antirvir (and its well worth the small free for premium!) - as it comes top in the yearly antirvirus tests PC World runs, and causes much less problems trhan things like Norton

take it to a computer shop and let them fix it for you, watch them repair it, ask questions which would enable you to do it yourself next time, either that or sit next to somebody who knows what they're doing and observe till you're comfortable with it.

take it to a computer shop and let them fix it for you, watch them repair it, ask questions which would enable you to do it yourself next time, either that or sit next to somebody who knows what they're doing and observe till you're comfortable with it.

Be aware that you need both anti-virus and anti-malware. They are not the same, although you can often get them in one package. I use Sunbelt software's "Vipre" and have NEVER had an invasion of either a virus or malware. I catches some from time to time and puts them in "quarantine", which you can review and delete.

Thanks everyone. I spoke wrong when I said computer shut down. Really I truned off computer when message came on. I was on the google and clicked some website and message came on which was whole screen. I did virusscan and it said had 1 infected file and was cleaned, so maybe okay but maybe not. However I will follow all advice given and get new anti-virus and take to shop. Thanks.

To the OP, a person can't overstate the importance of a good firewall and antivirus programs, even if you get programs where you pay a yearly subscription to continue to receive updates. It still won't make your computer 100% "hack proof" but at least you closed and locked jall the doors and windows to the best of your knowledge/ability. And don't forget to use secure/strong passwords on all your accounts. Cheers and Good Luck.

Edited by Pib