Thai Immigration To Keep Close Track Of All Tourists

george

I believe that is the requirement.

The missus and I have a home in Thailand and visit often, but I don't head straight for the imm or police to say.." Hi.. I,m here back home again".

I do however think that this is required.

Edited by soihok

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some years ago I think the hotels took all those forms their guests filled out to some police/immigration office on a weekly basis. Frankly I doubt that they have any online set-up for this yet. But as someone mentioned the Tsunami aftermath as an example of how this info would be useful and constructive. They would also be (and are) useful in tracking down missing tourists and for other similar tourist related crime investigations and there are a fair number of these. I don't see any potential problem or harassment in this.

Actually they are pretty lenient at the moment. The following is the law they will be enforcing (section 38, chapter 4 of the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence ,

or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in

the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration

Office located in the same area of that dwelling place or hotel, within 24

hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration

Office located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

If they so wish, they could enforce all the following, where the onus is on the foreigner to do the reporting as well. Section 37, chapter 4:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom

must comply with the following :

1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment

unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized

Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment

provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with

concerned.

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official.

Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated

competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change

residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station

alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the

change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area

former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the

station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer

twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police

for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days,

alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in

concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety

The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration

Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

In making notification under this Section , the alien may make

notification in person or send a letter of notification to the competent official

accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General .

Of which currently only point 5 is being enforced (90 day address reporting).

Simply great. As though the proprietor dosen't have enough to do he now has to find a competent official of the Immigration.

Like that can be a job in its self.

Why this big fuss? I wonder what's it all about. Reporting tourists is standard 'law' for hotels in most western countries. It's nothing new.

Huh? Did something change in the UK, USA, Australia, Netherlands etc.? When I register, I leave a credit card imprint. Some hotels in NYC will sometimes take a photocopy of an id card, but that's only to identify you in the event of death or suicide etc. I stay in enough hotels in Europe and North America to know if my whereabouts are being reported to immigration. They scan my passport when I enter the country. that's it.

I have a suggestion for Thai immigration. Attach those tracking monitor ankle straps to the tourists, especially those heading to Pattaya. Post their activity on a google map. This way I can see if Lord Wallce Fitzhiggns- Whipplesnout is heading to Boyztown, or if Rev. Joachim Shickelshnitz is off to save souls at Miss Weewee's house of barely legal refugee girls shaking their silicon implants.

Ok, me bad. :jap:

Edited by geriatrickid

Oh no, there is a need to keep track of all the these sneaky tourists! If a tourist stays in a hotel in Bangkok for a few days and then another hotel in Pattaya for a few days and then a hotel in Chiang Mai for a few days, it's very important that the government know this. I'm sure you could check with immigration at any given hour and they could quickly pull up in their database system exactly where that tourist is right now (giggle, giggle).

After thinking for a few minutes I can't think of any valid reasons for such close tracking, but I'm sure they are some...let me form a commission to figure out (dream up) some valid reasons and I'll reported back in three years.

Maybe immigration could issue out free GPS-enabled cell phones to tourists for general tracking...and the phones would come with unlimited daily hours as long as the tourist called into an immigration call center every 24 hours to report their specific location and, in turn, get another 24 hours of free calls. What you think?

Actually it will be a very valuable tool in catching overstayers if enforced correctly. A good thing

Dumpling.... the weed remark was linked to your avatar. Made in jest.

I thought it was funny actually.....

silly me , I never really thought of it as a drug reference just a cigarette.I think I shall have to change it hahahaha jap.gif

This is what you have to do, in Belgium,as an alien, when you are not staying at a hotel(in this case the hotel owner has to do it) :

Aliens who have legally entered the country must, within eight days after their arrival, present in person at the municipality of their residence.

I am nearly sure this is the case in every country of Europe.

In Switzerland, forms at hotels etc. are used for assessing a tax payable and everywhere in the world I have ever travelled needs a passport or local ID for check-in, What's the big deal ? Uncontrolled visitors and their whereabouts have created nightmares in parts of Europe so I am all for some system of knowing as much as possible about who is in any country. At least in Thailand you have unrestricted travel whereas there are many places in the world where that is not possible. And if you think Thai Immigration is not efficient, then think again. Despite their own ways of doing it, they have files going back 40 years in my own case.

silly me , I never really thought of it as a drug reference just a cigarette.I think I shall have to change it hahahaha jap.gif

:D really? you didn't see it was a 'joint'? :cheesy: ok ok, sorry :lol:

I dont understand what people are getting so upset about.

This is nothing new. It should be happening already.

If it wasn't published you wouldnt know anything about it.

How can it affect tourism, you register your stay at the hotel and they take a copy of your passport or I/D

Those who have nothing to hide have nothing to worry about... and it may stop undesirables on the run using Thailand as a safe haven.

Those on Long Stay Visas and Extension have to report their address every 90days.

So why not have a data system where the majority of people can be traced to...is this such a bad thing giving the recent problems.

It certainly wont affect my life one little bit.....

Paranoia springs to mind!!

Edited by Tafia

Although this is a normal requirement in many countries - the timing is interesting. Is it so the authorities can find some foreigners to blame for the recent bombings?

They brought this up about a year ago when they announced they would be cracking down on hotels, and that they were in the process of updating their systems to make everything easier. I dont think the timing has anything to do with recent events...and if there are foreigners involved wouldnt you want them stopped /caught, Ive seen no evidence to date of them blaming anyone who wasn't someway involved.

Edited by Tafia

I think the tourist lodging reporting requirement is an old rule but mostly unenforced. I don't see it really inconviencing any "guests" in the Kingdom.

I think Thai Immigration has a way to go before they can match the incompetence of the US State Department. Thats a reference to the Under wear Bomber. He was on a no fly list, his father reported him to the US Embassy, he paid cash for a ticket and the guy was still allowed to board a flight to the USA :rolleyes:

I see some practical problems for those living in condominium and houses.

When living in a condominium you are registered / reported when you arrive. Does that mean that when you leave you condominium for a few days you need to check-out ? What to do in a case that you unexpectedly need to stay overnight in a hotel without having been checked out from the condominium ?

I don’t read anything about those living in houses. Do they need to report their locations of stay to police and / or immigration ?

I see some practical problems for those living in condominium and houses.

When living in a condominium you are registered / reported when you arrive. Does that mean that when you leave you condominium for a few days you need to check-out ? What to do in a case that you unexpectedly need to stay overnight in a hotel without having been checked out from the condominium ?

I don't read anything about those living in houses. Do they need to report their locations of stay to police and / or immigration ?

Do not read too much into this, this has been law for a long time just not enforced.

You dont have to do anything.

If you leave your home to go to a hotel for a few days its the hotels responsibility.

Those on long stay in homes and condos have to report every 90 days.

It is nothing to get worried or concerned over.

Edited by Tafia

Its all about money, and over-stayers if or when found are normally blackmailed into handing over wads of thousand baht notes.

Where does blackmail come into it - if you over stay you have broken the law and will be fined accordinlly. The rules are clearly set out same as any other country

Holy craperoo,,, so all this stayinhg at inlaws's places in several provinces, not reporting, is technically a breaking of the law, then!? one of the hosts is a brother who is a police leftenant, would that count?

would one not look like an idjut trying to find the office to say yer staying at grandma's???

Oh, is there, maybe, a FEE to get authorisation to stay at sister in law's beuatiful large house?

EDIT; maybe Section 37; 2-5 is only if one has a WP, not for tourist?

If they so wish, they could enforce all the following, where the onus is on the foreigner to do the reporting as well. Section 37, chapter 4:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom

must comply with the following :

1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment

unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized

Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment

provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with

concerned.

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official.

Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated

competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change

residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station

alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the

change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area

former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the

station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer

twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police

for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days,

alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in

concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety

The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration

Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

In making notification under this Section , the alien may make

notification in person or send a letter of notification to the competent official

accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General .

Of which currently only point 5 is being enforced (90 day address reporting).

Edited by yellow1red1

"The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration

Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office."

hel_l - how do you find one of these?

R

Oh no, there is a need to keep track of all the these sneaky tourists! If a tourist stays in a hotel in Bangkok for a few days and then another hotel in Pattaya for a few days and then a hotel in Chiang Mai for a few days, it's very important that the government know this. I'm sure you could check with immigration at any given hour and they could quickly pull up in their database system exactly where that tourist is right now (giggle, giggle).

After thinking for a few minutes I can't think of any valid reasons for such close tracking, but I'm sure they are some...let me form a commission to figure out (dream up) some valid reasons and I'll reported back in three years.

Maybe immigration could issue out free GPS-enabled cell phones to tourists for general tracking...and the phones would come with unlimited daily hours as long as the tourist called into an immigration call center every 24 hours to report their specific location and, in turn, get another 24 hours of free calls. What you think?

Who gives a sh...!! Overstay is a laugh. Met a Dutch guy last year living here since 1977. No Passport, no Visa, and never been asked for it on the street. Anyone of you have been stopped, if you're doing nothing wrong? In the two years I'm here, (first of all they never stopped me in the car, and when they would, the only thing they aske for is your drivers license) So????

My concern is why this is suddenly a news item. How many countries keep track of or account for all kinds of things is an administrative matter and not something that the public is generally aware of or concerned about.

On numerous occasions I (and family members visiting) have traveled in Thailand with a Thai friend. He books the room and uses his ID, on many occasions, we have never been asked for passports when checking in--only his ID is used. If asked, of course they are produced. The bigger hotels always seem to ask; small guest houses do not seem to.

Do they notify immigration when you check out?

As far as the Tsunami was concerned, I am wondering how their system would help identify a large quantity of dead bodies. Even something like a train wreck might be hard to identify people with their system. You check out of a hotel and get on a train--how do they know who you are? They would have to match a passport to a body.

Keeping track of foreigners in a country is really an internal procedure.

looks like a truly amazing Thai stick to me COFF COFF COFF

Information about the 1,000 foreign fugitives believed to be living here would also be put into the system. "It should be easier to locate them," he said.

Don't see how this will help locate fugitives already living here.

Who gives a sh...!! Overstay is a laugh. Met a Dutch guy last year living here since 1977. No Passport, no Visa, and never been asked for it on the street. Anyone of you have been stopped, if you're doing nothing wrong? In the two years I'm here, (first of all they never stopped me in the car, and when they would, the only thing they aske for is your drivers license) So????

you're right..who gives a sh......providing you keep well below the radar..if on the other hand you dont have a licence (which has your passport number and address on it-thai lic- then you will hit the radar and then you will be sh...ing in the Immigration prison awaiting deportation!

Its upto the individual... I for one prefer to stay within the law, A Thai prison is not a recommended stop over!

:D really? you didn't see it was a 'joint'? :cheesy: ok ok, sorry :lol:

That is a Bob Marley fan if there ever was one. :partytime2:

Perhaps this to do with wanting to know how many tourists are visiting the country.

Just being a farang means we are a tourist, no matter how long we have lived in Thailand. Whether here married to a Thai, working, retirement, whatever, boasts the governments tourist figures. For example if a farang who has lived in Thailand for the last 70 years stays at hotel, he is labeled as a tourist and added to the number of tourists visiting that year.

I'm amazed why this is causing such a concern. As aleady stated this is currently the law and has been for some time.

It shouldnt concern anyone who is in the country or visiting the country and holding the correct visas etc.

This isn't having a go at tourists its ensuring hotels comply with the law.

Tourists have nothing to do, its the hotels responsibility.

Edited by Tafia

I hope that this is not seen as too dumb a question.

I am here on a multi entry non-0.

On entry I fill in my address details on the arrival card.

Is my Thai wife also responsible for telling the local Immigration Office of my presence at our home within 24 hours of each entry?

What type entry are you concerned about? :blink: