Stupa Lecture

sabaijai

JULY 7, 2005 / THURSDAY

KESARIYA BUDDHIST STUPA: A BOROBUDUR DISCOVERED IN INDIA

by Amarjiva Lochan

7.30 P.M.

At the Siam Society

About 120 km from Patna about 55 kilometres north-west of Vaisali, the ancient city of Kessaputta, the chief town of the Vajjis now known as the small village of Kesariya, has generated much interest in the history of Buddhist architecture. Excavation and restoration work in the past few years has brought to light a huge Buddhist stupa. Rising to a height of 104 feet and much reduced from its original height, it is one foot taller than the famous Borobodur stupa in Java making its biggest Buddhist stupa found anywhere in the world. The Kesariya stupa was 123 feet tall before the 1934 earthquake in the province of Bihar. In the days when Buddhism thrived in India, the Kesariya stupa was 150 feet and Borobodur stupa 138 feet high. At present, the height of Kesariya is reduced to 104 feet and Borobodur to 103 feet.

According to historical records and elaborate descriptions in the writings of two famous Chinese pilgrims, now identified with this site, Lord Buddha stayed in Kesariya and handed over his begging bowl to the people of Vaisali during his last journey to Kusinagara. It was here where one of the Buddha's most celebrated discourses, the Kalama Sutta in which he advised that his teachings be accepted only after careful scrutiny and reflection, was delivered.

In order to mark that emotional moment in the life of Buddha, a small mud stupa was built at Kesariya. In course of time, during the Maurya, Sunga and Kushana periods, it became a brick stupa with several additions and enlargements. In the sixth century AD, during the Gupta period, it was further enlarged and embellished with hundreds of sculptures.

This makes it possible that the original architectural plan of Borodudur had its inspiration here. Significantly, both the Kesariya and Borododur stupas have six terraces each and the diameter of Kesariya stupa is equivalent to the width of Borobodur. But experts feel that the diameter of Kesariya could be larger as several parts are still underground and have not yet been excavated.

The stupa has been found with several stucco figures of Lord Buddha in the Bhumisparsa posture in the cells provided all over the terraces. After few more years of excavations, we might be able to get a much clearer idea of this Indian Borobudur.

Dr. Amarjiva Lochan was educated at the University of Delhi, India and is a well-known name in Thai studies. He is a scholar specializing in the Hindu-Buddhist culture of Southeast Asia and is currently in Bangkok to work as a Programme Coordinator of the World Sanskrit Conference in honour of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn being organized by Silpakorn University.

For more information, please telephone Khun Preechaya or Khun Arunsri at:

Tel: (02) 661 6470-7

Fax (02) 258 3491

E-mail: [email protected]

Office Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.

Non-Members Donation: 150 baht

Siam Society Members, Members' spouses and children, and all students showing valid student I.D. cards, are admitted free of charge.

JULY 7, 2005 / THURSDAY

by Amarjiva Lochan

7.30 P.M.

At the Siam Society

About 120 km from Patna about 55 kilometres north-west of Vaisali, the ancient city of Kessaputta, the chief town of the Vajjis now known as the small village of Kesariya, has generated much interest in the history of Buddhist architecture. Excavation and restoration work in the past few years has brought to light a huge Buddhist stupa. Rising to a height of 104 feet and much reduced from its original height, it is one foot taller than the famous Borobodur stupa in Java making its biggest Buddhist stupa found anywhere in the world. The Kesariya stupa was 123 feet tall before the 1934 earthquake in the province of Bihar. In the days when Buddhism thrived in India, the Kesariya stupa was 150 feet and Borobodur stupa 138 feet high. At present, the height of Kesariya is reduced to 104 feet and Borobodur to 103 feet.

According to historical records and elaborate descriptions in the writings of two famous Chinese pilgrims, now identified with this site, Lord Buddha stayed in Kesariya and handed over his begging bowl to the people of Vaisali during his last journey to Kusinagara. It was here where one of the Buddha's most celebrated discourses, the Kalama Sutta in which he advised that his teachings be accepted only after careful scrutiny and reflection, was delivered.

In order to mark that emotional moment in the life of Buddha, a small mud stupa was built at Kesariya. In course of time, during the Maurya, Sunga and Kushana periods, it became a brick stupa with several additions and enlargements. In the sixth century AD, during the Gupta period, it was further enlarged and embellished with hundreds of sculptures.

This makes it possible that the original architectural plan of Borodudur had its inspiration here. Significantly, both the Kesariya and Borododur stupas have six terraces each and the diameter of Kesariya stupa is equivalent to the width of Borobodur. But experts feel that the diameter of Kesariya could be larger as several parts are still underground and have not yet been excavated.

The stupa has been found with several stucco figures of Lord Buddha in the Bhumisparsa posture in the cells provided all over the terraces. After few more years of excavations, we might be able to get a much clearer idea of this Indian Borobudur.

Dr. Amarjiva Lochan was educated at the University of Delhi, India and is a well-known name in Thai studies. He is a scholar specializing in the Hindu-Buddhist culture of Southeast Asia and is currently in Bangkok to work as a Programme Coordinator of the World Sanskrit Conference in honour of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn being organized by Silpakorn University.

Fax (02) 258 3491

Siam Society Members, Members' spouses and children, and all students showing valid student I.D. cards, are admitted free of charge.

Sabaijai,

Are you a member? I was a member for a while (even rented the premises for my wedding!), but eventually found the arrogance of the board and several of the members was just too much to take. The old board was basically running the whole business as a personal club, and not in the interest of the society. After they eventually failed to change my address when I moved (notified by letter & e-mail), I simply couldn't be bothered anymore.

A pity really, Thailand needs an institution like the Siam Society, but they need to change the way they operate to attract a broader public. I would be surprised if they will last another 10 years, at which time the bulk of the current members will undoubtedly have passed on....

JULY 7, 2005 / THURSDAY

by Amarjiva Lochan

7.30 P.M.

At the Siam Society

Fax (02) 258 3491

Sabaijai,

Are you a member? I was a member for a while (even rented the premises for my wedding!), but eventually found the arrogance of the board and several of the members was just too much to take. The old board was basically running the whole business as a personal club, and not in the interest of the society. After they eventually failed to change my address when I moved (notified by letter & e-mail), I simply couldn't be bothered anymore.

A pity really, Thailand needs an institution like the Siam Society, but they need to change the way they operate to attract a broader public. I would be surprised if they will last another 10 years, at which time the bulk of the current members will undoubtedly have passed on....

I agree with your basic conclusions about the Siam Society, and am not a member. If their journal came out quarterly instead of annually, I might consider a membership but it's cheaper just to buy the journal when it appears. Once in awhile they have a good lecture like this. I attended, and it was very informative.