My First Dslr

Miiyai46

I'm purchasing my first DSLR camera this month but I do not have much experience. I'm looking to photography as a hobby and to have fun ( not looking to become a professional ). I would like to get a good starter camera to learn with but I do not want to upgrade it in a year or two.

Two cameras are especially standing for me, the Nikon D3000 and the D5000. As the kit price difference is not that much, I would like to know from you guys what are the real differences between the two cameras? Which one would you buy? Is there any other better model that I'm not considering on the same price/specs range? Will the Nikon D90 be too much for a beginner?

Cheers

if you can afford the difference I would go with the D5000, there isn't too much difference higher pixel count 12 million to the d3000's 10 million, that shouldn't be anything to worry about though. but the d 5000 has live veiw and video that you may want to play around with too and has better iso capabilities

I'm purchasing my first DSLR camera this month but I do not have much experience. I'm looking to photography as a hobby and to have fun ( not looking to become a professional ). I would like to get a good starter camera to learn with but I do not want to upgrade it in a year or two.

Hint: Forget the DSLR.

If you were a professional photographer you would most certainly need a quality SLR to take with you when you go on assignment but you are not, you want a decent camera for everyday photography.

I dumped my SLR after a couple of years, and got a Canon S90 compact, far more fun, and I have learnt more about photography since.

The S90 fits comfortably into my jeans pocket, it can go to the pub with me, or shopping, or for a walk in the country. The SLR was difficult to carry and stayed at home, so I have the opportunity to take far more pictures with my compact.

I feel inconspicuous taking pics with my S90, I looked a pillock with the DSLR.

Quality is obviously "better" with an SLR, but quite good enough with my S90. Are you really prepared to study how to use the SLR, or will it be in Automatic mode all the time?

If you get a DSLR you may need to downgrade in a year or two when you find that it is not practical for your requirements. For the same price as a DSLR Starter Camera, you could afford a top end Compact like the S90.

• Like 1

Davee58 makes some great points. But, I would hate to NOT have my Nkon SLR available for when I'm on a photoshoot. I've already mentioned on this forum that the camera that you ALWAYS carry with you is the one you are more likely to take a great photo with. But, a few of the professionals on this forum took me to task for that statement. Nobody can foretell what might happen on any given day. Look at all the great photos taken during the tsunami. Most were taken on little point and shoot cameras. Some were even taken on cel phones and the pictures sold to large news companies.

I agree that a big SLR is often a nuisance for every day excursions but I would hate not having one.. I have a little waterproof Pentax that goes with me any time I leave the house. It's not up to the Nikon's standards but certainly takes good photos that are enough for the magazines I write for. There are valid reasons for having both an SLR AND a little point and shoot camera.

I currently have a Nikon 200D, but I'm thinking of up grading to an SLR that also has HD video capabilities. For me it wouldn't matter whether it was a Nikon or a Canon. Both are better than most amateurs can expect good results from. They have different operating systems, but the end results are pretty much the same.

Thanks for all your replies guys, especially to Davee58 as he has mentioned very good points.

I'm pretty sure that my patience is not good enough to fully learn the DSLR tricks and most of the time it will be in Automatic mode.

You are also right when you say that the DSLR will stay home most of the time and it will be used in special occasions only.

I wanted - your comments have convinced me and I will not buy a DSLR camera for the time being - to upgrade to a DSLR as my current Nikon S7 has let me down few times with poor quality pictures.

I will go and check the S90.

Cheers

Interesting and fortuious topic as I was just thinking along similar lines as the OP.

For many years I lugged around several kgs worth of manual SLR camera but got tired of it and went for a digital 'point and click'

Now I'm tired of that as the picture quality is really not as good as an SLR and was thinking of looking at a digital SLR since I found my manual one has blooming on the lenses when I dug it out, but haven't been in a shop to check them out yet.

What's the prices of the cameras you're talking about here?

Nikon D3000

Nikon D5000

Nikon D60

Nikon D90

Canon 550

Any other recommendations from Canon?

Edited by PattayaParent

Thanks Aidenai,

I remember in the year 2000 looking for a new body for my SLR and finding that in bangkok they were twice the price of Abu Dhabi.

Is the Bangkok market still overpriced compared to say Singapore / Dubai / USA? as I have the opportunity to get what I want from one of those markets if the price is considerably cheaper.

I have a D90, don't get this as it's going to be replaced by next year. In technology, newer is almost always better. I'd look into the Canon 550, it just came out. I'd skip these low level Nikons.

The 550 is supposed to be a "baby" 7D. The picture I posted of the Nikon D90 was taken with the 7D.

I have the opposite picture of my son taking the photo of his girlfriend with my camera and the main difference is the noise.

We were inside with quite a low light at that time and the 7D gives you a "good" picture, the D90 does not.

So, among a few other things..., this is actually what you get when getting more expensive cameras, and better lenses, a better quality in low light. :D

If anybody is interested, I have for sale a 1 month old Canon 550D (Canon Warranty) with the following lenses :-

(1) EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Canon Warranty)

(2) EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 and (Canon Warranty)

(3) EF-S 15-85mm f/.3.5-5.6 IS USM (Grey, shop warranty)

Will only sell as a set and not individually.

Will post pics later this week. Camera and lenses not with me now, am out of the country.

If anybody is interested, I have for sale a 1 month old Canon 550D (Canon Warranty) with the following lenses :-

Will post pics later this week. Camera and lenses not with me now, am out of the country.

post-71734-073448300 1281870149_thumb.jp

post-71734-058021100 1281870127_thumb.jp

post-71734-026550200 1281870172_thumb.jp

post-71734-066538200 1281870191_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

post-71734-073448300 1281870149_thumb.jp

post-71734-058021100 1281870127_thumb.jp

post-71734-026550200 1281870172_thumb.jp

post-71734-066538200 1281870191_thumb.jp

SOLD!

I have a D90, don't get this as it's going to be replaced by next year. In technology, newer is almost always better. I'd look into the Canon 550, it just came out. I'd skip these low level Nikons.

It's come down in price too. A 550D with the standard kit lens 18-55mm is 23,500 at iPhoto, extra batteries are only 490 Baht.

So it's not that much more than a Lumix LX5 set up, which I'm having trouble finding the wide lens extension for (in fact by the time you add up all the extra bits for these high end compacts and 4/3rd's cameras, the 550D looks like the attractive option, although I'm terrified by the vast expense of an 'L' lens, I'd love the Canon 10-22mm - must maintain self-control!) 

I shall revisit this after I've fixed the bathroom (and after the BoT have intervened on Baht appreciation, although the 550D is MUCH cheaper than in Thailand than the UK already).