Pros And Cons Of Thonburi?

Hey guys, I've never been to the other side of the river besides to go to Wat Arun, so I don't have a real feel for Thonburi. But as I plan to start working next month in Sathorn area, I was browsing some apartments near the BTS station in Thonburi.

Can you guys give me some pros and cons to living there? Thanks in advance

I have never lived there myself, I've had friends living there though. Probably as OK as anywhere else, not much difference

One negative aspect - it is not going to be that easy to get your friends to go there. That is actually a true feedback that one of my friends who used to live there had. He noticed that it was more difficult to get friends to come over

Good luck

I have never lived there myself, I've had friends living there though. Probably as OK as anywhere else, not much difference

One negative aspect - it is not going to be that easy to get your friends to go there. That is actually a true feedback that one of my friends who used to live there had. He noticed that it was more difficult to get friends to come over

Good luck

Neighborhood culture across the river is more 'Chinese', while here in Bangkok it is more 'Multi-national', centering in Sukhumvit and radiating outwards.

I don't think it's a bad place to live (am here in Thonburi right now). Greater Bangkok is greater Bangkok, and Thonburi is pretty much like any other place in Bangkok. However compared to places like Silom, it is less crowded and perhaps less entertainment around. The major disadvantage I have found is sometimes it may be difficult to find a taxi willing to drive from central bangkok to Thonburi. Mikeyidea is probably right about trying to convince your friends to come out to Thonburi. However, if you are right off the BTS, it shouldn't be much of a problem because you can go to the more happening parts of Bangkok whenever you want.

I think the place is OK, so long you stay near bts. Because the sathorn road is very crouded.. If you want go central bangkok i guess the only way is BTS or you go by motorbike.. but if this is better?

Thonburi is more quiet and if you want go out you still can go to silom, which is only 4 BTS stations away. Of course it is not sukhumvit for go out, but i guess most people choose to stay in this area wouldn't be happy at sukhumvit.

I saw a badminton hall near thonburi, but else i also not found to much in this area. except some more expensive hotels at the river.

thonburi ?

isn't that our near the burmese border ?

this is a disctrict in bangkok with this name.

It is west of sathorn. If you take the skytran, it is the next after Saphan taksin, which was the end station for quiet a while.

Wikipedia

Edited by HampiK

Interesting observations, thank you. Hadn't considered the issue of taxis not as willing to go there from central Bangkok.

Seems like Thonburi is more low-key, somewhat secluded compared to the other areas of central bangkok, and has less transportation options.

As someone who will be spending most of my time working in the Sathorn area and going for runs at Lumpini park, maybe Thonburi isn't for me?

At rush hour it is indeed difficult to find a taxi, because on sathorn the traffic jam is horrible.

But because of this not take this place... hmmm.... also sukhumvit is horrible and a lot of taxis are not willing to go there as well. Except the overpaid ones.

And there is still the BTS... but if you not like to use the BTS, then yes it makes no sense... I take taxis sometimes, but most of the time i use the BTS...

IF the taxi is so important for i see this difficult, because the sathorn area is full of cars at rush hour....