Mould On Clothes And On Walls

I have recently moved into a new apartment and have come across this phenomenon. Mould is growing on clothes in the wardrobe and also on the walls.

I don't use the aircon only a fan but i used to do that in the last place i lived without any problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? How to cure it?

Cheers

Mould will generally come in closed up areas, you need ventilation, lot's of it. It seems to me that you new apartment is more closed up than your old one.

We had the same problem in Northern Europe in the early 70's. After the fuel crisis, people started building houses with much better insulation (sides and ceiling not being the only important areas) and the result was mould damage. The houses were simply put too well insulated for the ventilation they had.

Be careful with mould, it is a potent accelerant for the development of asthma

In the old days closets and storage rooms were built with small wattage(10-15 watt) lamps in the lower areas near the floor. They lamp generated enough heat in the enclosed closet to warm the air and keep mold growth down. With the advent of AC you don't see this too much now.

Boat/yacht clothes and storage lockers can also be fitted with special heating elements for the same purpose.

As said keep the doors open and the air flowing and this will help for sure,

Humidity and poor ventilation is usually the cause in the Tropics. Wipe down surfaces affected with diluted Dettol and wash any clothes etc. adding a couple of caps full of Dettol to the initial wash cycle. Keeping fans circulating the air and at least one fan pulling fresh air into the space permanently should keep away any further problems. Open wardrobe and cupboard doors too to let the air circulate. Cross-flow ventilation is a good idea too if your living spaces are correctly designed to enable it.

The only other way is to use the aircon which will reduce humidity levels as well as the temperature.

Hope that helps.

It seems that your apartment has a raising damp problem. Do you live near a lake, river or stream? Or have the walls become spongey and letting in rain water? Check for pealing paint or loose plaster on the walls.

First you should look for the source of where the moisture is coming from. Next consider moving to another apartment.