Four Iranians Arrested At Suvarnabhumi In Separate 'Ice' Smuggling Cases

webfact

Four Iranians arrested in separate 'ice' smuggling cases

gallery_327_1086_761.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Four Iranian men in their twenties were arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport in separate crystal methamphetamine smuggling cases involving a total weight of 1.7 kilogrammes of the drug, valued at Bt6 million (some US$180,000), Customs Department Director-General Somchai Sajjapong told a press briefing on Tuesday.

On Tuesday the drug was found in a stomach of Mohammad Ebdolah, 27, while officers discovered “ice” concealed in aluminium foil coffee bags in 24-year-old Behnam Davarpanah’s baggage. The total illicit drug weighs 1,400 grammes.

Meanwhile, Hoorizad Bahram, 26, and Taheri Hamid, 27, were detained Monday at the arrival terminal of Thailand’s main international airport on charges of smuggling crystal meth, commonly known as “ice” with total weight of 81 grammes in their stomachs.

Customs officers observed the men behaving suspiciously after they embarked, and asked them to pass through an X-ray scanner where unidentified objects were detected in their stomachs.

The detainees were ordered to a toilet to defecate and officials found two 49 gram packages of “ice” in Mr Bahram’s stomach and two packages of “ice” weighing 32 grammes in Mr Hamid’s.

All four were charged with possessing and smuggling the drug into Thailand without legal permission and were sent to narcotics suppression police for further investigation.

Since October last year the customs department has seized 87 kg of crystal meth and arrested about 50 Iranians for smuggling drugs.

A number of arrests related to “ice” smuggling have resulted from the high demand of the illicit drug market and a primary source of the drug was Middle East. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-08-03

Again?

Since October last year the customs department has seized 87 kg of crystal meth and arrested about 50 Iranians for smuggling drugs.

I guess things aren't so great in Iran. Their people seem rather desperate for money. But they'll stone a woman to death accused of having an affair... What a wonderful place! I wonder what they would do to these people in Iran? Maybe Thailand should deport them and find out... Ah, but they're muslim men, so no problem, they were just trying to make money from the infidels!

Imagine how much worse it will be when the users will start to have problems coming up with the higher price a deficit of ice on the market will create...some might turn to crimes to cover the higher cost or those that already do might increase the amount...

Hope you all got insurances for your houses and cars etc...

..but it would be irony of those of the 'hang'em high' brigade got targeted first...

Imagine how much worse it will be when the users will start to have problems coming up with the higher price a deficit of ice on the market will create...some might turn to crimes to cover the higher cost or those that already do might increase the amount...

..but it would be irony of those of the 'hang'em high' brigade got targeted first...

I guess that’s gonna happen anyway.

Thais like their uppers and Yaba was always their drug of choice but there’s definitely a trend going on with more and more Yaba users switching to Ice due to it’s higher purity and stronger effect.

With Ice being much more expensive than Yaba it’s not hard to figure out how things will develop.

All four were charged with possessing and smuggling the drug into Thailand without legal permission

Can you get permission to legally smuggle in drugs? :whistling:

I guess so, just be related to, or have paid off, the right person.

I think the means they were circumventing the thai drug cartel

If theprice of 32gm of ice is worth Mr Hamid risking a death penalty or serious time, then how is the seizure of minor amounts going to drive the price so much higher that we should feel at risk of property crime?

I know that you are are an advocate of making all drugs legal (which I am not), but I ask you to consider what you would do if someone gave your children a bottle of petrol and a box of matches, both legal items.

Why were they acting suspiciously? I wonder if they absorbed some of the drug, that would do it.

They must of seen the X ray machine and thought Allah what are we going to do now. I'm guessing there are no toilets before you pass through the X ray machine, excuse the pun:whistling:

If theprice of 32gm of ice is worth Mr Hamid risking a death penalty or serious time, then how is the seizure of minor amounts going to drive the price so much higher that we should feel at risk of property crime?

I know that you are are an advocate of making all drugs legal (which I am not), but I ask you to consider what you would do if someone gave your children a bottle of petrol and a box of matches, both legal items.

I guess you missed that 1) 87kg has been seized during a period of time and 2) the number of arrests seem to go up indicating more amounts being seized, further reducing the overall amount on the market place. Which ofcourse the politicians might see as a victory but also, due to the laws of supply and demand, means the prices will go up. Especially when the number of couriers are reduced when they continue to get caught and end up with long prison terms of death penalty...

this is becoming a weekly thing with the iranians,well they will have plenty of iranians frends in the monkey house,

just say no to drugs

I'm beginning to wonder just how many of these captured smugglers from Iran, Pakistan, Philippines; ect actualy end up doing the hard time so vocally promised by the Thai government.

As pointed out by other posters, news conferences announcing Airport drug seizures have become an almost daily event but when I think about it, I have yet to see a press release detailing any trials and convictions of those accused. You'd think that a couple of well publicized "show trials" would make as much an impression as the seizures themselves but we never hear about what happens after they are marched away from the cameras.

Housing international prisoners cost a lot of money and resources, especially with all the international watchdog groups monitoring conditions. Thailand's prisons are notoriously overcrowded as it is and the addition of 50 or more new "guests" every month can't be helping things.

Most western prisoners in Thai jails have some sort of outside support structure that helps provide for them and gives the guards a bit of extra income but you can be pretty sure that most of these convicted mules bring little in the way of outside support and are a burden on the system.

I would not be at all surprised to learn that Thailand quietly returns a lot of them to their home countries after serving minimal time. Iran has had a well developed smuggling industry for more than 2000 years and their contacts and influence must run very deep around the world. I sure they have influence deep within the Thai government and have ways to take care of their own.

Why were they acting suspiciously? I wonder if they absorbed some of the drug, that would do it.

They must of seen the X ray machine and thought Allah what are we going to do now. I'm guessing there are no toilets before you pass through the X ray machine, excuse the pun:whistling:

What machines?Do you remember movie "Total Recall" with Arnie?Is it the same sort of machine - walk through - somebody watch the screen?Amazing!In BKK Airport?

And they dare to come here?

What machines?Do you remember movie "Total Recall" with Arnie?Is it the same sort of machine - walk through - somebody watch the screen?Amazing!In BKK Airport?

And they dare to come here?

YES

It used to be the Africans now the Iranians....what's happening to Thailand....hotbeds for drugs.... :ph34r:

They certainly are fearless. Not that any country's jails are fun times, but I think Thailand's rate very low on the comfort meter.