Pajero Sport 3.2

Thaihog

Do any Pajero 3.2 owners here have a performance chip from Racechip installed in their SUV? I'm talking about the cheaper chip at 129 Euros, not the ProChip version.

If you do, what setting is it at i.e. B9, C6 etc.... Correspondence with Racechip has proved fruitless as I've had 3 different settings from them, so they obviously don't have a clue.

If anybody is interested I have a spare brand new chip for sale. PM me for price....

Cheers.....

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have been trolling around on it while getting ready to move to BKK at the end of the year.

Just wondering about the chip as I am planning to buy a PJS 2nd hand when I get there. how does the chip affect fuel consumption?

And on that note, anyone can tell me how much they spend on diesel a month in a 3.2 PJS?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have been trolling around on it while getting ready to move to BKK at the end of the year.

Just wondering about the chip as I am planning to buy a PJS 2nd hand when I get there. how does the chip affect fuel consumption?

And on that note, anyone can tell me how much they spend on diesel a month in a 3.2 PJS?

We have found you can adjust the chip up or down to increase performance at slightly different rev range, a bit trial and error. If your after soooping it up forget fuel consumption :) though they say if you drive in a sedate fashion you can improve MPG. But if your like me and enjoy the occasional stop light drags then forget the economy. :D

Thanks for the info! i probably won't go for the chip then. I'm a little bit of a stickler for trying to save money. biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm a real newbie when it comes to buying cars. I come from Singapore and the public transport is generally good enough that I don't own a car here. But I know the need for it in Thailand and was thinking of getting a Pajero Sport. I used to live in Thailand years ago, and am aware of traffic conditions, but didn't own a vehicle then.

Any opinions here on the need for the 4WD, especially due to flooding? I'm planning to do most of the driving in outer part of Bangkok with occasional trips to Isaan and perhaps some down to the beaches. I've seen and heard of some bad muddy experiences with floods etc, especially in Isaan where vehicles without 4WD might get stuck.

I just wanted some opinions on whether the extra cash for the PJS 4WD was worth it, or should I just rely on the LSD of the 2WD? It's probably going to be on roads (good or bad, dry or flooded) 95% of the time so I really thought I would like to hear some opinions.

Someone was telling me just to get an AWD (such as CRV or Escape) instead, but I'm not convinced.

Comments please?

Edited by khooster

Hi guys,

I'm a real newbie when it comes to buying cars. I come from Singapore and the public transport is generally good enough that I don't own a car here. But I know the need for it in Thailand and was thinking of getting a Pajero Sport. I used to live in Thailand years ago, and am aware of traffic conditions, but didn't own a vehicle then.

Any opinions here on the need for the 4WD, especially due to flooding? I'm planning to do most of the driving in outer part of Bangkok with occasional trips to Isaan and perhaps some down to the beaches. I've seen and heard of some bad muddy experiences with floods etc, especially in Isaan where vehicles without 4WD might get stuck.

I just wanted some opinions on whether the extra cash for the PJS 4WD was worth it, or should I just rely on the LSD of the 2WD? It's probably going to be on roads (good or bad, dry or flooded) 95% of the time so I really thought I would like to hear some opinions.

Someone was telling me just to get an AWD (such as CRV or Escape) instead, but I'm not convinced.

Comments please?

i own a PJS 3.2GT and it rulez!

Hi guys,

Comments please?

Thanks ric, but the question remains, is the extra money for the 4WD and the 3.2 engine worth it? Is the 4WD ever used in Bangkok?huh.gif

Hi guys,

Comments please?

Thanks ric, but the question remains, is the extra money for the 4WD and the 3.2 engine worth it? Is the 4WD ever used in Bangkok?huh.gif

Depends if the flooding is going to be a yearly event your way. :)

thanks transam. Just looking at the news with the flooding all over the country is giving me goosebumps.

At this point with finances being a big concern, I probably will end up getting the 2.5 2WD. Any comments about it being underpowered?

I got the 3.2GT with 4WD. I can tell you straight away that I NEVER use the 4WD in Bangkok. On the other hand, I do a lot of trips to Isaan and I also do a lot of scuba. On the Isaan trips I tend to use the 4WD at least once, and on the scuba trips I keep it in constant 4WD, especially on sandy beaches, mud holes and dirt trails. A couple of times I have driven the PJS in conditions so bad I thought it'd be impossible to get through with a car, and I had to engage the differential lock. Awesome fun!

Experiencing the PJS in real offroad situations is a treat, the car is a monster in these conditions. I think this is one thing people forget when they compare the PJS to Fortuner: PJS is a serious off road vehicle which has been adjusted and equipped to be driven on the street, whereas the Fortuner is a street car which has been equipped with some means of making it look like it could be driven off road.

Do you need th 4WD or not? Difficult question, I'm sure I could have managed all situations in Isaan without the 4WD.

Hi guys,

Comments please?

Depends if the flooding is going to be a yearly event your way. :)

4WD is rarely applicable to the roads of Bangkok, but flooding does occur in certain areas like ladprao, ramkhampheng, srinakarin, etc. whenever there is heavy rainfall. as for me i drive to phu hin rom khla in phetchaboon, mae sot, etc often therefore there is a need for 4WD. if u think u will be going to the "tan amphoe" in the issan provinces, it might be useful, but of course it depends.

3.2 is of course better than 2.5, u need lots of horsepower to pull that 2tonnes of dead weight. it isnt really amazing when it comes to 2 tonnes with a horsepower of 165 and torque of 350. it is just that little above average.

u need lots of power to to overtake and drive comfortably in Bangkok. there aint too much traffic and speed cameras in Bangkok anyway.

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice.

Any info about fuel consumption on both 2.5 and 3.2?

jap.gif

I own a pajero sport 3.2GT and the it's like 8.5km/l. bought the car since sep 2010, spent most of my time in Bangkok.

Thanks ric. Has it been easy to get it around? I read some of the other threads and had people complaining about maneuvering fortuners in the city. What's it been like for you? Especially parking (especially in malls? laugh.gif)?

I've got a Pajero sport 3,2l as well. Easy peasy to maneuver around. Had Crv before and this is just as easy. Actually since we got rear view camara and parking sensors which we didn't have at the Honda Crv the pajero is easier to park. And we go to malls all the time ex. Seaqon square, Central, Big C, Tesco Lotus etc. no problemo!

Edited by mek

I've got a Pajero sport 3,2l as well. Easy peasy to maneuver around. Had Crv before and this is just as easy. Actually since we got rear view camara and parking sensors which we didn't have at the Honda Crv the pajero is easier to park. And we go to malls all the time ex. Seaqon square, Central, Big C, Tesco Lotus etc. no problemo!

totally agreed!~

Thanks ric. Has it been easy to get it around? I read some of the other threads and had people complaining about maneuvering fortuners in the city. What's it been like for you? Especially parking (especially in malls? laugh.gif)?

Parking in malls, or manouvering in tight places is no problem. In fact, I find it easier with the PJS than a normal car du to the overview from the drivers seat. Mind you, the PJS has a remarkable 5.6 minimum turning radius, this is better then some of the smaller cars.

Parking in malls, or manouvering in tight places is no problem. In fact, I find it easier with the PJS than a normal car du to the overview from the drivers seat. Mind you, the PJS has a remarkable 5.6 minimum turning radius, this is better then some of the smaller cars.

yep, the only problem u might face is the height problem, some car parks in the old buildings in Yawarat, San Sem, etc, will limit the height to 1.9m, u will have to be extra careful with the limited headroom for PJS, otherwise it is totally perfect.

P.S. i been to the Klong Thom Plaza often with the PJS, many others who have been there had problems with the limited turning area up the multi storey carpark. i had some problems when i drove that camry 2005 of mine, since then i tried with the PJS and it is Perfect. driving in carparks havent been easier.

yep, the only problem u might face is the height problem, some car parks in the old buildings in Yawarat, San Sem, etc, will limit the height to 1.9m, u will have to be extra careful with the limited headroom for PJS

That's a 10mm clearance then...:ermm:

yep, the only problem u might face is the height problem, some car parks in the old buildings in Yawarat, San Sem, etc, will limit the height to 1.9m, u will have to be extra careful with the limited headroom for PJS

That's a 10mm clearance then...:ermm:

yep, but more carparks like The Mall, Central, Tesco Lotus, Carefour, Q house, Lumphini Park, etc, r like 2m or 2.1m. just take note of the old buildings, u might not wanna get yourself into those situation when u hit the ceilings or the beams.

hey cdninks how did u do that, do u acceralate fast? do u r consistent?

I would say I am fairly easy on average around town, I mean the traffic does not allow for much of a lead foot. All I know is that if I drive 450 kms when I fill up it will take 45 litres every time.

2.5 2WD and I get a consistent 10km/ltr and that's both city and hiway.....although the hiway driving is always in the 130km/hr range.

My Pajero Sport 2.5L is chipped to 190HP, and I drive it foot to the floor... and still get 10km/L.

Have caught up with a number of Thai owners, the one's that are careful on the throttle are managing 13+ km/L in the 2.5.

2.5 2WD and I get a consistent 10km/ltr and that's both city and hiway.....although the hiway driving is always in the 130km/hr range.

My Pajero Sport 2.5L is chipped to 190HP, and I drive it foot to the floor... and still get 10km/L.

Have caught up with a number of Thai owners, the one's that are careful on the throttle are managing 13+ km/L in the 2.5.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What kind of chip? Model etc.

2. Where do I order?

:thumbsup::wai::w00t: