Brilliant Solution For Bangkok Traffic Problems

LaoPo

What Bangkok needs, is to get all the cops sitting in booths beside traffic lights to stop manually controlling the lights. Makes things worse.

Tried that once. THey installed some huge computerized traffic control system imported from Belgium, I think it was. After the first day, the cops took it offline saying it was obvious it didn't work, thereby putting cops back sitting in the control booths.

This would be one of biggest problems then, would be next to imposible to control flow thoughout city if there is not efficent comunication between areas.

When I first saw that article my mouth dropped. Back in 1993 or 1994 the Bangkok Post asked readers to send in their ideas to solve the traffic problems in the city. This Chinese solution was EXACTLY what I sent in, I even created a drawing and sent it. They published it along with other solutions and that was the end of that. I have the article somewhere here, if I can find it I will dig it out and post it.

I think it is a brilliant idea, if I may say so myself, and don't know why it hasn't been pursued before.

OK, I have dug up the copy I clipped from the Post. It was 1996. The Post asked readers to offer suggestions to improve Bangkok traffic and then published the results in two pages. Curiously my 'Aerial Buses' solution only contained the image shown here, but no further description, unlike the other suggestions. The Post artist created this image from a drawing I created with MS Paint or similar. Didn't get any reaction here, nil, zip, nada. I like to think that someone in China saw it and ran with it. I still think it is a great idea and hope that proves true in China.

aerialbuses.jpg

Roundabouts!!!! thats what Thailand needs. Lots and lots of roundabouts!!! can't wait to see the natives trying to negotiate them!

What about mini roundabouts or better still just aim high and try one like the Magic Roundabout in Swindon with 5 mini roundabouts or even the Plough Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead with 6 around a central hub. I've done Swindon a long time ago but never the Plough.

Sorry forgot these sites that show them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

http://www.tachoblog.com/tachoblog-magic-roundabout/

Edited by kimamey

Get rid of half of the taxis. The roads around JJ market are saturated with them, sometimes three of the four lanes are occupied by empty taxis.

I think the Expressway easy pass can alleviate jams at tollways if they are used on a larger scale. Routine commuters spend cash on the toll every day anyways. Using the pass, you simply barrel right through the lane. Imagine of more than half of the Bang Na inbound expressway commuters didn't have to stop and line up every morning.

Police checkpoints cause massive jams. On a bad morning driving to school, I can be stopped by four checkpoints that completely stop all traffic on two very busy highways. It's a nonsense practice to extort tea money from naive drivers. They stop all cars and trucks, but only actually inspect trucks. In a year of the same commute route, I have never seen a single car inspected.

River crossings need to be reworked. These bridges should be manages like the Pinklao bridge where lanes are allocated to each side based on the volume of traffic. This could cut down on bridge accidents, particularly on the Bangkok bridge where motorcycles often drive on the opposite side of the road outbound to Thonburi. This is dangerous to motorists, and causes congestion as drivers have to merge to give motorcycles way.

Schools cause unneeded congestion, and they seem to not care. Much of the traffic in the Sathorn area can be attributed to the Catholic schools close to or immediately adjacent to the Surasak BTS station. Traffic jams down Sathorn Soi 11 can be attributed solely to the school down that soi; flow is good when that school is not in session.

Far too many parents opt to send their kids to schools nowhere near where they live. Many of these kids sit alone in an obese van with a chauffeur and ride across the city to school in the morning, and leave in the same way.

New public transportation may help alleviate traffic congestion, but there's no reason (aside from TIT) why obvious problems with a simple solution haven't been ironed out by now.

Roundabouts!!!! thats what Thailand needs. Lots and lots of roundabouts!!! can't wait to see the natives trying to negotiate them!

What about mini roundabouts or better still just aim high and try one like the Magic Roundabout in Swindon with 5 mini roundabouts or even the Plough Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead with 6 around a central hub. I've done Swindon a long time ago but never the Plough.

Sorry forgot these sites that show them.

http://en.wikipedia....dabout_(Swindon)

http://www.tachoblog...gic-roundabout/

you know roundabout confuse a lot of people, I mean did you hear of their introduction to the us?

apparently people were camped out to watch the action

When I first saw that article my mouth dropped. Back in 1993 or 1994 the Bangkok Post asked readers to send in their ideas to solve the traffic problems in the city. This Chinese solution was EXACTLY what I sent in, I even created a drawing and sent it. They published it along with other solutions and that was the end of that. I have the article somewhere here, if I can find it I will dig it out and post it.

I think it is a brilliant idea, if I may say so myself, and don't know why it hasn't been pursued before.

OK, I have dug up the copy I clipped from the Post. It was 1996. The Post asked readers to offer suggestions to improve Bangkok traffic and then published the results in two pages. Curiously my 'Aerial Buses' solution only contained the image shown here, but no further description, unlike the other suggestions. The Post artist created this image from a drawing I created with MS Paint or similar. Didn't get any reaction here, nil, zip, nada. I like to think that someone in China saw it and ran with it. I still think it is a great idea and hope that proves true in China.

aerialbuses.jpg

I think you should work on ip protection before sending your ideas off, of course I've heard the Chinese are not to worried about ip anyway

• 4 weeks later...