Australia Issues Travel Warning For 10 Thai Provinces

webfact

Why should I read and read again..! To me it is dam_n obvious that YOU have no idea what is going on in all provinces in Thailand.

"Thai soldiers are being sent home missing bits and pieces of their bodies" maybe, but it does not say Falang are being sent home does it.

Actually, yes it does.

In June 2009, gunmen killed at least ten worshippers and injured 12 others in a mosque in Narathiwat province. In March 2008, two people were killed and 13 others injured when two bombs exploded in a car park near the CS Pattani hotel in Pattani province, which is known to be used by government and security officials, non-governmental organisation (NGO) workers, foreign visitors and journalists. An Australian was one of seven people injured in a bomb blast in Yala province in May 2007.

And look at the paragraph at the beginning of that section

Southern provinces - Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla: We strongly advise you not to travel at this time to the southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla, or overland to and from the Malaysian border through these provinces due to high levels of ongoing violence in these regions, including almost daily terrorist attacks resulting in deaths and injuries. Attacks have taken the form of bombings, shootings, arson and beheadings. The Thai Government has warned foreign tourists not to travel to these areas."
Can the Australian Government really be faulted for passing on the warning that the Thai government itself issued?

Or is this the part of the advisory that has you irate:

In early April, the Thai Government declared a state of emergency in the Bangkok area and in several surrounding provinces and has been extended several times. The state of emergency remains in place in Bangkok and nine other provinces including: Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Rachasima, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakarn (including Suvarnabhumi International Airport), Ubon Ratchathani, and Udon Thani. The Thai authorities have stated that the overall state of emergency is expected to remain in place until 4 October 2010, though it is likely that the area covered by the state of emergency will be subject to further change.

The state of emergency gives broad powers to the military and can affect civil liberties by limiting the right to assembly, and by imposing other restrictions. Australians in Thailand are strongly advised to monitor local media for further information about the state of emergency and to follow the advice of local authorities.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squigy - what do you think would happen if travel warnings were not issued and a tourist was killed in a bombing attack in Bangkok? There would be hel_l to play for that country's government for failing to issue realistic travel warnings.

The fact is that if a tourist travels in the deep south provinces, then they are definitely at risk of being the victim of one of the daily bombings. Ask the relatives of Malaysian tourists who have died.

The fact is, it could have been a tourist who was injured in the grenade bomb last week in Bangkok

The fact is, popular tourist locations, such as Phuket and Pattaya are at an increased risk of terrorist attacks.

I agree that many areas of Thailand are probably perfectly safe, but tourists tend not to stay in one single location, and they also tend to visit popular tourist locations.

Now, would you rather than these travel warnings were not issued?

Simon

Simon,

You can issue all the travel advices you wish, but lets get the facts and details right.

I have travelled the World and can tell you that I never look at my Government's website on Safe Travel.

I have been to many places that one would consider dubious and have never had problems.

I have had bombs exploding around me, shots being fired into my apartment, buildings burnt down around me.

Earthquakes as well cause issues.

Cheers

Bill

:cheesy: Thanks for the comic relief, mate. YOU plan my next holiday! will sign the waivers

Squigy - what do you think would happen if travel warnings were not issued and a tourist was killed in a bombing attack in Bangkok? There would be hel_l to play for that country's government for failing to issue realistic travel warnings.

The fact is that if a tourist travels in the deep south provinces, then they are definitely at risk of being the victim of one of the daily bombings. Ask the relatives of Malaysian tourists who have died.

The fact is, it could have been a tourist who was injured in the grenade bomb last week in Bangkok

The fact is, popular tourist locations, such as Phuket and Pattaya are at an increased risk of terrorist attacks.

I agree that many areas of Thailand are probably perfectly safe, but tourists tend not to stay in one single location, and they also tend to visit popular tourist locations.

Simon

Simon,

You can issue all the travel advices you wish, but lets get the facts and details right.

I have travelled the World and can tell you that I never look at my Government's website on Safe Travel.

I have been to many places that one would consider dubious and have never had problems.

I have had bombs exploding around me, shots being fired into my apartment, buildings burnt down around me.

Cheers

Bill

Wow Bill :whistling: bombs exploding around you! also buildings burning down around you!, and shots being fired into your apartment, who have you pissed of when you say bombs and building fires how near do you call around! 5metre ,or 10, or in the next town , unless you are a rescue worker or a serving soldier sounds like BS to me or maybe you were a guestplayer in XMG or on the falls road, sound like walter mitty to me

Hey i'm off to Phuket next week, should i be worried about these warnings? Planning on going to most off the tourists places, clubs malls beaches etc. Also going to Pattaya and Ko Samui to head to the full moon party and probably spend a few days in bangkok to finish up, i was excited about the trip but after reading this travel warning not so much now.

Phuket isn't on that list, and it's not in the north....

Hey i'm off to Phuket next week, should i be worried about these warnings? Planning on going to most off the tourists places, clubs malls beaches etc. Also going to Pattaya and Ko Samui to head to the full moon party and probably spend a few days in bangkok to finish up, i was excited about the trip but after reading this travel warning not so much now.

Phuket isn't on that list, and it's not in the north....

True, but just don't knick the bar mats :lol:

The Australian government is just trying to help those traveling with their family, including children, to be aware of potential dangers, etc. Now many of those Aussie blokes who travel, single, to Thailand and come to CM, could warrant a warning from their government to Thailand, so warning could be extended to the locals.

The last time I was on Guam (4 year ago) a Aussie softball team was terrorizing the locals at 0900. All in fun of course, but I will never forget, after they got off, the driver said "we should have been warned"

Simon

Simon,

Cheers

Bill

Wow Bill :whistling: bombs exploding around you! also buildings burning down around you!, and shots being fired into your apartment, who have you pissed of when you say bombs and building fires how near do you call around! 5metre ,or 10, or in the next town , unless you are a rescue worker or a serving soldier sounds like BS to me or maybe you were a guestplayer in XMG or on the falls road, sound like walter mitty to me

Tell you the truth I work for ASIO!!! At present based in Patts as a Volunteer Police office riding around in my Yellow and Green tuk tuk ripping Ozzies off.. hel_l dont tell anybody... I will then have to give up my thai gf's and be kicked out of the LOB for knicking bar matts and selling undesirable things..

Simon

Simon,

Cheers

Bill

yeah righto GI Joe.

The travel warnings are for the average "mum and dad and 2 kids "on their annual 10 days holiday in the sun. I too have spent inordinate amounts of time in places "in harms way" and there is no way I would want the average guy with his wife and kids to be there.

Just because you are comfortable with something doesnt mean that you would put kids in the same situation.

Grow up a bit and get a grip on reality.

Obvious this is issued by Aussie who never step out of Australia.

Yeah the Aussie government should post some travel warnings for the western suburbs of Sydney....excercise extreme caution.... maybe even go so far as to post a "do not travel" advisory. Also I was in a pub in Bluff New Zealand about 2 years ago....now that was dangerous!!

I suppose you don't read the news. There were two grenade attacks in Bangkok in the past two weeks , one dead more injured. Another grenade found and disarmed at Government House. I haven't read of any grenade attacks in Australia or emergency decrees for areas there either. But ignorance is bliss...

While I must agree that most all of Thailand is safe to visit or live, there are a few areas that have on going problems and some caution should be taken. It would be irresponsible of an Embassy not to post warnings, would it not? They should perhaps also post warnings about Dengue Fever and Chikungunya outbreaks as well, as they affect many more people than a few random acts of violence... Aren't motorbike accidents are the leading cause of death in Thailand, that should also be added to the warnings. I see many more tourists injured from motorbike accidents than anything else here!

AU should issue a travel warning for Australia, what with gang land killings , murders, rapes, assaults etc , an everyday event across the country, six shootings in one week in Sydney and Melbourne in April, safe uh, no where is safe end of story. :o

Edited by chainarong

AU should issue a travel warning for Australia, what with gang land killings , murders, rapes, assaults etc , an everyday event across the country, six shootings in one week in Sydney and Melbourne in April, safe uh.

DFAT issues warnings for travelers leaving Australia, not traveling internally.

If you want warnings of traveling to Australia I should think you would look towards the Thai government.

It is their responsibility to the citizens of Thailand. But so are a great deal of many other things.

DFAT's responsibilities are to Australian citizens. Obviously others are open to interpret this information as they see fit.

Personally as I travel to many countries with my work I have and do, check DEFAT's travel advisories and have found them useful in the way and where I chose to stay and conduct my comings and goings.

I know of many other expats of varying nationalities who use DFATS travel advisories as a very useful tool in their travels. People would be very naive not to ensure their and their families safety and well being when traveling anywhere in this world of ours.

I am neither a rice planter, nor an employee of the Australian embassy. I do not have an axe to grind because I was unable to get a bar girl/boy a visa and was refused. I have however seen the Australian foreign staff putting their own lives in danger as they acted to save lives evacuating nationals and other foreigners from danger zones.

Bombs do not differentiate when they go off and shards of glass and shrapnel do not discriminate. It is clear some people are indeed oblivious to what is happening in the 4 provinces subject to the travel warning. People are killed and maimed regularly. The fact that foreign casualties are not common is due in large part to the fact that foreigners heed the travel advisories put out by all major governments and avoid the area. The fact that the Thai national press does not report the daily events speaks more to the self imposed censorship of the media than to their being a state of peace.

How many provinces are there in Thailand? Presently there are what, 76 provinces? And of these 76, 4 are insurrection zones and an additional 6 are considered at risk for bombs. That's all the travel advisory states. Get a grip and stop blaming the DFAT for doing its job. The information on the DFAT site is accurate. Bombs are going off in Bangkok. Grenades are being tossed. This is not happening in Australia, nor the UK. The DFAT mandate is foreign countries, not the internal affairs of Australia. The DFAT obligation is to warn when there is danger and that is what has been done.

Some claim DFAT didn't visit the regions in the advisory. Ok. So do they need to send a delegation to Sierra Leone to report back on whether or not it is a dangerous area, as they do now? It is bloody obvious. Perhaps those in denial should consider visiting the 4 southern provinces and spend a couple weeks. Report back as to the situation. While they are there, they should have a look around for some of the legs and arms of the soldiers that lost them last week when their vehicle was attacked. Maybe they can go back and tell them that it was a one off incident, and nothing to worry, and oh here by the way is your leg. With a bit of glue they will be as good as new.

Edited by geriatrickid

From the DFAT website current at 5 October 2010.

http://www.smartrave...Advice/Thailand

Once again it shows that the people in the Australian Embassy like many others in Thailand really have no idea what the lay of the land is in Thailand. I am appalled at how stupid these people are who work in Embassies in Bangkok. Thailand Govt should put out a Travel Advisory for Australia saying one should not fo into the outback because they might have issues with a few snakes!!

The people are just covering their dirty <deleted>!!!

Your comment is both unfounded and nasty. It betrays an ignorance of the activities at DFAT as well as limited reading comprehension skills. Read the entry again. It says High Caution. It is a prudent and reasoned warning. The no travel advisory for Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla has been in place for a long time. This is because there are almost daily bombings/murders/beheadings in the deep south. DFAT has an obligation to warn Australian nationals from the affected areas. Bombs are a fact of life in Thailand, not in Australia. Are you clueless to what is happening in th e 4 provinces cited? Thai soldiers are being sent home missing bits and pieces of their bodies. It is hardly peaceful or safe.

In addition to monitoring the current political situation, DFAT coordinates with other foreign governments, particularly Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. There is a pooling of assets that includes actual intelligence operations, physical assessments by local staff and the monitoring of communications. ASIS reports into DFAT and provides a daily risk briefing. As well, Australia's Defense Signals Directorate has responsibility for the bulk of communication intercepts and monitoring in the region for its key allies. Basically, these countries rely to a great extent on Australia's ability to snoop. DFAT just didn't come up with the warning for the fun of it. The warning was given because there is a REAL danger.

You may not hold DFAT in high regard, but it seems that other governments and their spy agencies do. DFAT doesn't issue frivolous warnings and of all the foreign services, Australia is still one of the most professional despite the ungratefulness of some of its citizens. You should be ashamed of yourself for maligning a decent government department and the thousands of people that work to keep Australians (and the rest of the world for that matter) safe.

Australia is a great country and proud of it record

We build detention centres with revolving door, if you do not like being behind bars, just take a long walk on your next entertainment day out

If you come on a leaky boat we will thrown money at you

If you are a parent of an Australian citizen then go on a 20 years waiting list

Yes Australia is a great country and proud of it record

Australia is a great country and proud of it record

We build detention centres with revolving door, if you do not like being behind bars, just take a long walk on your next entertainment day out

If you come on a leaky boat we will thrown money at you

If you are a parent of an Australian citizen then go on a 20 years waiting list

Yes Australia is a great country and proud of it record

Off topic just a little little bit.

Sounds like you didn't get everything your own way when dealing with them.

ADVICE:

Any two or more conflicting statements contained in the same phrase or sentence.

Had a NZ friend who was once head of the Australian intelligence service, he told me that at one time he had as many as 2 Australians working for him.

OK, OK I'll go back to the jokes forum.

:annoyed:

Give the government guys a break, forchristsake won'tcha.

They have to issue those travel advisorys so the old ladies won't wet their nappies if they see something in the newa like bull---t scare headlines about "Disruption In Bangkok Shutsdown City".

Both you and I know they are bull...but it's just a pro-forma thing the embassy is required to do at certain times.

Keep your eyes open, your brain working, and your own common sense awake.

You'll be fine.

:blink:

This topic is about the Warning issued by Australia about Thailand. It isn't about your views on individual posters and it isn't about Australia per se. Please stay on topic.

• Like 1

I live in Chiang Mai and have for four years. I was here for all the ignorance no problem felt and still do entirely safe.

Maybe I should have read that article. My God my life was on the line every time I opened my front door I didn't recognize the peril I was in.

Thank you Australia who are not here for correcting me who is here on my perception of things.

Am planing a trip to the States and Canada what shall I watch out for. :cheesy:

.....Canada.....taxes

Once again it shows that the people in the Australian Embassy like many others in Thailand really have no idea what the lay of the land is in Thailand. I am appalled at how stupid these people are who work in Embassies in Bangkok. Thailand Govt should put out a Travel Advisory for Australia saying one should not fo into the outback because they might have issues with a few snakes!!

Why attack the embassies? The world has been told by the thai government that there are some provinces still under emergency rule because of terrorists and terrorism activities. They do not need to get off their <deleted> they are being informed by the current government that Thailand/10 provinces are not safe. This current government are the most honourable, accountable and would never lie to the public, or another govt. But I am like you, the current govt are bending the truth a wee bit, not lieing mind you, you can go anywhere just use your common sense. But there should be a travel warning for the snakes, be aware of the snakes (they will fleece you, sure) including trouser snakes(LB).

:):D:)

Why attack the embassies? The world has been told by the thai government that there are some provinces still under emergency rule because of terrorists and terrorism activities. They do not need to get off their <deleted> they are being informed by the current government that Thailand/10 provinces are not safe. This current government are the most honourable, accountable and would never lie to the public, or another govt. But I am like you, the current govt are bending the truth a wee bit, not lieing mind you, you can go anywhere just use your common sense. But there should be a travel warning for the snakes, be aware of the snakes (they will fleece you, sure) including trouser snakes(LB).

:):D:)

Tourists in Thailand don't want to use their common sense. That's why they come to Thailand and not go to India. This is one of those "where's the beach" and "let's go to a temple" locations...isn't it? Not a "watch out for thieves and bombs" sort of place.

A lot of talk on here about the four southern Providences. All of it in my opinion good advice.

but the warning mentioned ten other Providences. One of those provinces was Bangkok and to back up there warning they talked about the new years bombings in I believe it was 2006 my memory sucks and I am to lazy to go back to the article. For what it is worth the area on the border where they are fighting over ownership of a temple with Cambodia is on the list. I live in Chiang Mai and just shake my head. Chaing Rai now there is a real hot bed of violence. I believe they had four students protesting.

Yes definitely issue warnings about the southern provinces. But Most travelers all ready know that to go into a Moslum dominated area is dangerous. That is why they have had a small amount of tourists.

Edited by jayjay0

If you consider having bombs exploding around you, shots beng fired into your apartment and buildings burnt down around you not to be problems, then that is your privilege; the Australian Embassy has to act with rather more responsibility for its citizens.

For once I am in full agreement with geriatrickid (with the addition that usually those who boast of knowing what "REAL DANGER" is have usually watched a few too many Bruce Willis movies). As has already been said: "Grow up"

Simon

Simon,

Cheers

Bill

I too have travelled the world without problem but i disagree in one respect. I was offered a job in Saudi Arabia in the outback and I declined because of security issues. A few months later it was in the news that 100 Al Quaida had been arrested there. There are security issues everywhere in the world. France, Spain, Turkey, everywhere in Africa, middle east, far east, America, South America but it is probably more dangerous to step off the pavement to cross the road.

Hey i'm off to Phuket next week, should i be worried about these warnings?

No, but I'd be worried about going to Phuckit full stop. Keep your head on and be firm with the tuk-tuks, tailors and totty. ;)

--

Squig, grow some common sense, get over yourself and stop wasting bandwidth.

Indeed, this over - concious travel advisory seems to reflect today's Aussie super - safety minded society.

Everybody wants to cover his/her back, the resposability is taken away from the individual to the authorities, more than even in "old" Europe.

An Aussie friend tells me that Down Under even in the outback you are legally required to ride the bicycle only with a helmet.

What an utter joke! That law would have no chance in my native Germany, and we DO have lotsa cyclists and lotsa cars on a small space.

So, as a resposible grown - up individual, I get informed and make up my own mind if i want to travel into those ten "dangerous" provinces, - I don't need my bleedin' government to tell me.

The real danger is the underworked overpaid Australian civil servant

Dont ever try and go to oz if you are a pommy cock asian, they wont let you in

The outback already has a travel warning - no poofdahs

Go home Les Hiddens

Remember TV wants you to keep on clicking, thats how they get their revenue, and will post any old inflamatory rubbish to yank your chain

What percentage of single male tourists are dickheads? 80-90-100-110%

:lol:

AU should issue a travel warning for Australia, what with gang land killings , murders, rapes, assaults etc , an everyday event across the country, six shootings in one week in Sydney and Melbourne in April, safe uh.

DFAT issues warnings for travelers leaving Australia, not traveling internally.

If you want warnings of traveling to Australia I should think you would look towards the Thai government.

It is their responsibility to the citizens of Thailand. But so are a great deal of many other things.

DFAT's responsibilities are to Australian citizens. Obviously others are open to interpret this information as they see fit.

Personally as I travel to many countries with my work I have and do, check DEFAT's travel advisories and have found them useful in the way and where I chose to stay and conduct my comings and goings.

I know of many other expats of varying nationalities who use DFATS travel advisories as a very useful tool in their travels. People would be very naive not to ensure their and their families safety and well being when traveling anywhere in this world of ours.

I know what DFAT travel advice is for , my comment really means , nowwhere is safe , just the percentage of risk changes:D

Your comment is both unfounded and nasty. It betrays an ignorance of the activities at DFAT as well as limited reading comprehension skills. Read the entry again. It says High Caution. It is a prudent and reasoned warning. The no travel advisory for Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla has been in place for a long time. This is because there are almost daily bombings/murders/beheadings in the deep south. DFAT has an obligation to warn Australian nationals from the affected areas. Bombs are a fact of life in Thailand, not in Australia. Are you clueless to what is happening in th e 4 provinces cited? Thai soldiers are being sent home missing bits and pieces of their bodies. It is hardly peaceful or safe.

In addition to monitoring the current political situation, DFAT coordinates with other foreign governments, particularly Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. There is a pooling of assets that includes actual intelligence operations, physical assessments by local staff and the monitoring of communications. ASIS reports into DFAT and provides a daily risk briefing. As well, Australia's Defense Signals Directorate has responsibility for the bulk of communication intercepts and monitoring in the region for its key allies. Basically, these countries rely to a great extent on Australia's ability to snoop. DFAT just didn't come up with the warning for the fun of it. The warning was given because there is a REAL danger.

You may not hold DFAT in high regard, but it seems that other governments and their spy agencies do. DFAT doesn't issue frivolous warnings and of all the foreign services, Australia is still one of the most professional despite the ungratefulness of some of its citizens. You should be ashamed of yourself for maligning a decent government department and the thousands of people that work to keep Australians (and the rest of the world for that matter) safe.

Just the sort of arrogant reply I expected from a obvious fanatical Australian. Possibly a member of the Australian Embassy in Thailand or ex member.

Why should I read and read again..! To me it is dam_n obvious that YOU have no idea what is going on in all provinces in Thailand.

"Thai soldiers are being sent home missing bits and pieces of their bodies" maybe, but it does not say Falang are being sent home does it.

You are obvious a person that sits at a desk somewhere and receives Intelligence reports from ASIO operating in Thailand illegally then passes this somewhat dubious information on to DFAT, who then shares this with other lazy embassies in Thailand.

I can share a fact with you and that is my so called "Embassy" does not bother at all to go into the provinces and collect information at all but rely on a few people who have other agenda's than that of there Embassy.

Get of your butts and go see for yourself, or maybe that your embassy cannot meet the cost's of travel and accommodation.

I have lived in the outer Province's of Thailand for a number of years and can absolutely refute your travel warning in two of the provinces that you have stated. I read and speak Thai and mix with the local daily in my province and I can say that you are talking through your arse.

You have no idea what 'REAL DANGER" might be as you have never been in such a situation.

You go back to watching CNN and drinking with your friendly falangs using taxpayers money and I will go back to planting rice so as I can feed you !! Maybe you will choke on it..

Ah a rice farmer from the rural blocks of Thailand who is an expert on Australian Politics and International Affairs. :D