Thai Attitudes To Smells

thepanicandthevomit

The Thais are a very personal hygiene directed people, They shower on the average 3-4 times a day, I have also picked up that habit. That is one thing I do hear Thais mention about falangs is that some of then have an aversion to bathing

I once had to change seats at a bar when a falang sat down next to me and his stink was over whelming,

The reason why bar girl give you a shower before any action, make sure you do not stink and to check your body for signs of disease.

You can be poor and have great personal hygiene habits, there is no excuse for not bathing often.

Cheers::bah:

Honestly, the Thais I know don't shower half a dozen times a day. That is a complete myth. My rational guess would be that 1, maybe 2 showers on hot or active days are commonplace for the average Bangkokian. Besides, Thailand is a big country that encompasses a large number of people with different habits. Is anyone here really going to pretend that every, or heck, even most Thais keep themselves regularly clean? I don't want to rain on everyone's parade here but I have encountered plenty of bad smelling Thais. This isn't even uncommon, it just means they have a strong body odor (genetic) in a country that is located close to the equator where constant sweating is the norm. It's normal and healthy to sweat, so that's something you'll have to deal with. Every expat I personally know practices good personal hygene. The truth is that some people simply don't, Thai and others alike, and there's plenty of both.

Seems like another thread full of exaggerations, stereotypes and claims without sources. Classic ThaiVisa.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah the smell of the sewers and Bangkok - one of my fondest first memories of the city. Sadly though, I don't even notice it anymore. I do notice however the visitors from the Middle East on the BTS who have bathed in aftershave, and the smell of freshly shampooed hair on the locals.

Sporadically I do catch one of them trying to sneak out a fart without claiming it - a bit rude in my eyes, nose and mouth.

But I digest, it's not really the or-dour of the person in question, it's really olfactory sensory dumbing down we all face as we age. This I believe is a good thing.

To smell or not to smell, this is certainly not the question.

A very deep post James!

Ah the smell of the sewers and Bangkok - one of my fondest first memories of the city. Sadly though, I don't even notice it anymore. I do notice however the visitors from the Middle East on the BTS who have bathed in aftershave, and the smell of freshly shampooed hair on the locals.

Sporadically I do catch one of them trying to sneak out a fart without claiming it - a bit rude in my eyes, nose and mouth.

But I digest, it's not really the or-dour of the person in question, it's really olfactory sensory dumbing down we all face as we age. This I believe is a good thing.

To smell or not to smell, this is certainly not the question.

A very deep post James!

Unfortunately for you and others on here, that particulate post is the highlight of the day for me. It's all downhill from here.

While on this topic, ever notice how local gals always hold up two fingers to their noses when then encounter smells that don't appeal. Keep an eye out near people smoking outside of buildings and watch them as they pass buy. Like holding two fingers up to their noses will make the smell go away? 

Funny enough, you never see this when they are passing the food stalls on the street. Even passing a durian seller with less than fresh wares will not get the two finger salute. It takes something truly offensive for them to qualify it as men - men.

Use this as a clue to whether you need a shower or not - whether on the BTS or MRT. If they don't do the two finger sniff test, you are fine for another few hours.

Somewhat agree though that persons in Thailand shower mire than in Canada (I'm being specific here). To give an example, when leaving after a day at the beach those in Canada rarely if ever shower, subjecting their companions on public transit to the stench of sweat and sand. In Thailand, almost all shower, so much so that it is a viable source of income to set up small stalls charging a small fee for water and shampoo

The Thais are a very personal hygiene directed people, They shower on the average 3-4 times a day, I have also picked up that habit. That is one thing I do hear Thais mention about falangs is that some of then have an aversion to bathing

I once had to change seats at a bar when a falang sat down next to me and his stink was over whelming,

The reason why bar girl give you a shower before any action, make sure you do not stink and to check your body for signs of disease.

You can be poor and have great personal hygiene habits, there is no excuse for not bathing often.

Honestly, the Thais I know don't shower half a dozen times a day. That is a complete myth. My rational guess would be that 1, maybe 2 showers on hot or active days are commonplace for the average Bangkokian. Besides, Thailand is a big country that encompasses a large number of people with different habits. Is anyone here really going to pretend that every, or heck, even most Thais keep themselves regularly clean? I don't want to rain on everyone's parade here but I have encountered plenty of bad smelling Thais. This isn't even uncommon, it just means they have a strong body odor (genetic) in a country that is located close to the equator where constant sweating is the norm. It's normal and healthy to sweat, so that's something you'll have to deal with. Every expat I personally know practices good personal hygene. The truth is that some people simply don't, Thai and others alike, and there's plenty of both.

Seems like another thread full of exaggerations, stereotypes and claims without sources. Classic ThaiVisa.

I neglected to post that I live in a rice growing village in Central Thailand, and it is a fact that rice farmers shower every time they come home to eat ,pick up added equipment, etc.

I am not referring to the city dwellers at all.

Cheers::)

Some of the stuff my Mrs cooks up, that smells horrendous to me, for family really makes me heave but no problem for them, but when

l have a ciggy in the garden theres lots of turned up noses.

Perhaps we smell things differently. I have come to understand where l am that the locals do think farangs smell.

Cigarettes stink......no question

As for bathing in Thailand.......it is the one occasion I do not ever question my wife, as she usually knows more than me about our plans for the next few hours, and they are constantly subject to change at short notice!.........when she throws the towel at me and barks "shower"........off I go...... only takes a few minutes to freshen up and dry in the heat...... usually 4 or 5 times a day minimum......I don't smell....... but my wife clearly wishes to keep it that way.....and of course me too!!.........plus it sets a good example for the children.

Kikoman is right, in the rural areas when returning to the house for whatever reason, a quick shower is not unusual. Working the rice it is often very refreshing to shower every break.

Edited by 473geo

The Thais are a personal hygiene directed people, but your statement that they shower on average 3-4 times a days is absolute cobblers.

The Thais are a personal hygiene directed people, but your statement that they shower on average 3-4 times a days is absolute cobblers.

Well it is certainly my experience of many rural Thai..................

Really! I always thought that was an excuse to go through the contents of my wallet. :(

Well it is certainly my experience of many rural Thai..................

Not that this is a discussion of huge importance but in my years here, which admittedly is based in Bangkok and Samui showering 3-4 times a day is unheard of. Not that there would be anything wrong with it ofcourse. ;)

Well, I thought that I had seen it all on this forum but this post must surely take the cake! I would have walked ten miles by foot rather than subject myself to the humilaition of riding on the train in that condition.

Agreed.

Walked past a tourist couple at a BTS station the other day and the man really smelled ripe but his wife/gf was smooching with him so must not have noticed. I must have been here too long but even back in the UK many moons ago, if someone smelled of sh*t they were told about it. We did not say, "Excuse me sir, do you smell like shit because of a health problem or are you just a dirty bastar*?" We would normally limit ourselves to the last couple of words.

Anyone with the sense of smell would avoid nasty smelling people. However, that is a different thing than hurling abuse on someone. It isn't an easy situation. If someone smelling of shit came to eat at a busy enclosed restaurant I don't think they have the right to ruin other people's meals, but what's the difference from smokers?

Edited by Jingthing

My wife my girls and myself Shower at least 4 times a day, the girls shower more, Why do you consider it "cobblers" whatever that is. May be it is because that is not what you do.

It is a fact in rural Thailand.

Cheers::blink:

OP: I may be the only guy on the thread willing to have helped you out in your unfortunate situation. In fact, I would have given you a ride in my personal vehicle in order to get you home quicker. You had experienced food poisoning and were likely expelling gas uncontrollably. (You mentioned that your drawers were relatively unscathed, which means you probably found a fortuitous restroom for the initial attack.) I am sure you were quite miserable as you were struggling to get home in the stifling Bangkok heat.

Food poisoning happens, and for some people it happens a lot despite their best, most careful efforts to avoid it. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) exists. It can be a life-altering condition that absolutely results in one staying at home most of the time. The lack of empathy on this thread is duly noted. Indeed, it seems that many of you would be more than happy to have participated in a public beating of the OP. (Guilty as he was of experiencing a medical emergency...)

P.S. A complete and utter lack of restroom facilities at BTS and MRT stations is a contributing factor. In contrast, restroom facilities are available at most public transport stations in Korea, and at some stations in Taiwan. They do that because they recognize that shit--my dear forum mates--inevitably happens.

Furthermore, I have a friend who has chronic inflammatory bowel disease and cannot help but smell. I can smell him when we're in the swimming pool together. He tells me he can smell himself in the swimming pool (or the bath, or at all times).

Nice.... where do you go swimming? I need to know where to avoid! Urghh.... :crazy:

I'm with the Thais. I think they've got it quite right re: smells. And a smelly farang is an embarrassment to us all.

One annoying exception: cigars. Even if they've never smelled a good cigar--which, you know, smells wonderful :D --they immediately act repulsed at the mere sight of one. Good way to keep away barflies, though.

Also, they have stereotyped notions. Indians--in fact, many Indians are just as clean as Thais and do use deodorants. They deserve to judged as individuals like everyone else.

My friends wife once remarked that she does not like Indian food because it's smelly.

But she eats som tam poo plaa and durian?

I'm with the Thais. I think they've got it quite right re: smells. And a smelly farang is an embarrassment to us all.

One annoying exception: cigars. Even if they've never smelled a good cigar--which, you know, smells wonderful :D --they immediately act repulsed at the mere sight of one. Good way to keep away barflies, though.

Also, they have stereotyped notions. Indians--in fact, many Indians are just as clean as Thais and do use deodorants. They deserve to judged as individuals like everyone else.

From fascism to compassion in one graceful bound. Wonderful!

Why do stinky people not know that it IS a heinous crime to be stinky? And make excuses for it? Id' want to beat you myself if I smelled you, it is NOT acceptable, stay home if you have a problem.

Ay caramba!

Not to mention those pesky wheelchair louts, or blind people lousing up the place with their sticks and dogs - what bastards!

My wife my girls and myself Shower at least 4 times a day, the girls shower more, Why do you consider it "cobblers" whatever that is. May be it is because that is not what you do.

It is a fact in rural Thailand.

Cheers::blink:

I live in an Industrial area of Thailand and my girls also shower 3 or 4 times a day. It is not cobblers whatever that - is it is normal.

Well, I thought that I had seen it all on this forum but this post must surely take the cake! I would have walked ten miles by foot rather than subject myself to the humilaition of riding on the train in that condition.

'Course you would, petal. You manage that sickness girl! Just like the chap who would've got into a taxi, breezily explain to the driver what had happened, and offering a large tip for his trouble, with a laugh and a wink. Simples.

And so to the heart of the matter. Finally. Do you think a thai person in my position would be subjected to the same degree of intimidation I was? I doubt it. So my contention remains; Thais care more about farang smells than thai smells. Why is this?

Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee here (groan). Denial and self-delusion are making a late bid to outdo body fascism in these parts.

Somewhat agree though that persons in Thailand shower mire than in Canada (I'm being specific here). To give an example, when leaving after a day at the beach those in Canada rarely if ever shower, subjecting their companions on public transit to the stench of sweat and sand. In Thailand, almost all shower, so much so that it is a viable source of income to set up small stalls charging a small fee for water and shampoo

The stench of sand? How awful!

Agreed.

Walked past a tourist couple at a BTS station the other day and the man really smelled ripe but his wife/gf was smooching with him so must not have noticed. I must have been here too long but even back in the UK many moons ago, if someone smelled of sh*t they were told about it. We did not say, "Excuse me sir, do you smell like shit because of a health problem or are you just a dirty bastar*?" We would normally limit ourselves to the last couple of words.

That is simply not true. My friend I mentioned, who has inflammatory bowel disease and smells all the time, has told me no one has EVER told him he smells. He says it bugs him. He is self-aware, so can sense when people are disgusted, but is adamant NOBODY has looked him in the eye and told him he smells. Not friends, not family, not work colleagues, no one. It is just not the british way. We play a lot of pool together and the local hall is full of chinese students. They sniff at him all the time, loudly. It drives him nuts.

To smell is to human. Sadly, it appears compassion is not.

OP: I may be the only guy on the thread willing to have helped you out in your unfortunate situation. In fact, I would have given you a ride in my personal vehicle in order to get you home quicker. You had experienced food poisoning and were likely expelling gas uncontrollably. (You mentioned that your drawers were relatively unscathed, which means you probably found a fortuitous restroom for the initial attack.) I am sure you were quite miserable as you were struggling to get home in the stifling Bangkok heat.

Food poisoning happens, and for some people it happens a lot despite their best, most careful efforts to avoid it. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) exists. It can be a life-altering condition that absolutely results in one staying at home most of the time. The lack of empathy on this thread is duly noted. Indeed, it seems that many of you would be more than happy to have participated in a public beating of the OP. (Guilty as he was of experiencing a medical emergency...)

P.S. A complete and utter lack of restroom facilities at BTS and MRT stations is a contributing factor. In contrast, restroom facilities are available at most public transport stations in Korea, and at some stations in Taiwan. They do that because they recognize that shit--my dear forum mates--inevitably happens.

Bang on on all counts. Thanks.