American Married To Thai

If you make over 90K USD this may be a concern. But if u do not, then it does not matter, because you would be paying thai tax. All u do is show the US govt what u have paid in taxes in Thailand, and frome that point u are pretty much done.

Trying to claim deductions when u dont owe anything would seem wierd to me.

Secondly, u should consult with a CPA.... but my gut says a village marriage doesnt amount to anything in the eyes of the US, and the reality is, in thailand it doesnt mean anything legally either

Thanks for the reply, but I see I should have provided more detail (based on the answer you gave me)...my fault...sorry.

While I'm an American citizen, I live/work in Afghansitan (private contractor for the U.S. government). While I'll retire in Thailand in approximately 7 years, I am thinking of gettting married prior to living there full time.

I make over $100k per year, but the first $94,500 (or about that) is tax free under Foreign Earned Income. Since I am not earning the money in Thailand (nor living there), I'm not paying Thai taxes.

I realize a village marrage is not law binding, but it would be (in Thailand) if we register it with the proper agency. Where we to do that, can I claim my wife as a dependant when I file my U.S. taxes? If so, I believe it would be worth it because although a large portion of what I make is tax free, I am taxed in a higher tax bracket on the rest of the money I earn.

I suppose I could contact a CPA to look into it, but thought it would be easier to ask here on the forum (in case someone has already experienced this or someone else is wondering the same thing).

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, but I see I should have provided more detail (based on the answer you gave me)...my fault...sorry.

While I'm an American citizen, I live/work in Afghansitan (private contractor for the U.S. government). While I'll retire in Thailand in approximately 7 years, I am thinking of gettting married prior to living there full time.

I make over $100k per year, but the first $94,500 (or about that) is tax free under Foreign Earned Income. Since I am not earning the money in Thailand (nor living there), I'm not paying Thai taxes.

I realize a village marrage is not law binding, but it would be (in Thailand) if we register it with the proper agency. Where we to do that, can I claim my wife as a dependant when I file my U.S. taxes? If so, I believe it would be worth it because although a large portion of what I make is tax free, I am taxed in a higher tax bracket on the rest of the money I earn.

I suppose I could contact a CPA to look into it, but thought it would be easier to ask here on the forum (in case someone has already experienced this or someone else is wondering the same thing).

Thanks!

If you register the marriage, it is then a legal marriage in thialand, and I imagine if you submit the marriage license to the embassies u would then be married in the US as well.

Now, tax issues.... again, consult with a CPA, but I do know this, she does not have a green card, SHE is not subject to US tax and does not even need to report it, and u do not even have to report her income.... (again consult with a cpa on this)

Secondly, my advice is to keep the bulk of your money out of Thailand. This will protect you from a future divorce issue. It saved me @ss some, but she still got 170K equity in property.... long storry.

That said, don't buy property, keep your money out of Thailand, and u should be preety safe....

and NO my wife was not a bar girl. I met her in the states while she was working on her MA degree. Swindlers come from all walks of life.

Wish I had your job!

Thanks (again) for the reply.

From what I've read, if we only do a village marriage, then it's not law binding and therefore, I have nothing to loose. If we register the marriage in Thailand, then anything I have prior to the marriage, I keep...anything after the marriage is split 50/50. The bulk of my funds will be kept in America and I will transfer money from there to a Thai bank account as needed.

If I can get a tax break, I would like to register the marriage in the States because it could save me a LOT of money over time (I plan on doing this for 7 years). However, I'm also wondering if registering the marriage in the States would entitle her 50% of my possessions over were we to divorce...in which case, no WAY would I register the marriage there. Don't get me wrong, I trust her or I wouldn't be marrying her...but I also see no reason to throw temptation her way. hahaha

Thanks for the advice, but I have no desire to purchase property until 7 years down the road when I'm actually living there. When that happens, I will purchase the land (more exactly...give her the money to purchase the land), then sign a 30 year lease on the property from her to me, and build my house on it...thus ensuring she can't toss me out (well, for 30 years anyway). I'll be retired at 45 and expect I'll be dead 30 years later. What she does with it after I'm gone, I could care less. :)

It's taking time to learn all the little details (and there seems to be a lot of them), but I think I'm making progress.

Sounds like your ex-wife took you to the cleaners. Gotta watch out for those educated women...stick with bargirls. hahaha...j/k! I met my girl on a baht bus of all places.

Yes, you can claim her if you're legally married.

She'll need either a US Social Security number or * US Tax ID number.

(* Not exactly sure what they call it.)

She can get that from the US Embassy or Consulate.

Excellent...thank you. After I marry I will contact the US Embassy and start the process.

Hmmm...does that mean if we divorce I'll have to get a divorce in two different countries? Geez...so many questions. I suppose the Embassy will have some information for me regarding this.

Hmmm...does that mean if we divorce I'll have to get a divorce in two different countries? Geez...so many questions. I suppose the Embassy will have some information for me regarding this.

No, if you marry and get a certified translation of the papers, your marriage will be recognized by the US. You can then get a tax number for her and claim her as a dependant. You will still have to divorce in Thailand if that's where you both live. If later you both move to The States, things will be different.

With your income and situation you need good advice - not from a forum - other than perhaps to point you in the right direction.

If you are trying to save money consider a stop-over in India and find a good American licensed CPA who is also an Indian chartered accountant.

You can find an American licensed CPA in Bangkok but the cost will tend to be higher.

You need to register your marriage at the Embassy if you want it to be legal. Otherwise, it's not a legal marriage in the eyes of the US gov't.

Not correct. If legally married in Thailand (amphur). the US recognizes the marriage as legal. We are not the UK and marriages are not registered at the embassy.

Something quick to try. Go to turbotax.com. You can do a quick return for free. Run it as single, head of household, and then run it as married. See if there are any tax differences. But IMHO, getting married is the worst way to try and save money. Here in Thailand, you will be looked at as a walking ATM. Maybe not initially, but believe me...the relatives will come out of nowhere with (real) stories of woe. Most are crazy poor and some really do need the cash. Hard to say no when they are in the hospital...and then it kinda ruins all tax advantages!

And you are correct...the ceremony was just that. A ceremony. Very important to the girl, means nothing legally. You need to sign the papers at the local office. Then it is legal. And if you have no assets in LOS, pretty much impossible for her to come after you in the US for your assets.