If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

Come on rgs, I understand this Hawkwind splurge is a reaction against the more refined Floyd and their topic on the other forum,( it's a different style, imo Floyd are for listening to sitting down whilst with the Hawks foot tapping or dancing is de rigeur. Let's not forget the origins of the name Hawkwind, the habits of farting and spitting from one of the leading members).

But anyway, to counter the amphetamined crazed Lemm,y i offer a different Hawkwind

BN, ref post # 3613.

Yeah you are correct, trouble is I made a statement on that thread that i thought I had better back up, and that wasnt the thread on which to do it.

Personally I believe PF were at their magical best in the years '69-'73.

I mentioned two bootlegs that were worth tracking down, as luck would have it, some kind soul has uploaded them to u-tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKnp0oqG2VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1HcmQEbQyo&list=PL53895DE675300C27

Amazing stuff, Smoking Blues is another worth tracking down, as is another called Interstellar Encore

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/pink_floyd/interstellar_encore/

Dont listen to anything after that these days, lost that creative edge.

Dont listen to anything after that these days, lost that creative edge

They found success with Dark Side of The Moon and from then on Waters dominated proceedings.

But Gilmour always had his wonderful guitar contributions.

He once said his goal was to move people and I think he does- but to this day I'm not sure which emotions he and Floyd conjure up.

With Syd, joy and exuberant chaos.

Post Syd- confusion and then performed pieces, formatted and played with perfect execution, exuding grandeur and wonder.

Listening to Floyd post '74 I feel familiarity, awe and depression, all at the same time.

So English in both melody and melancholy.

Meanwhile a piece prior mainstream success

As for losing that creative spark, listen to this, blood curling, frightening, keep those adjectives coming.

PF stumbled upon, whether by accident, design or pure luck a formula that worked and stuck with it, in the end it became mind numbingly comfortable.

Contrast the future elevator music with this epic.

rgs, I grew up on Floyd, listening to Ummugumma, Saucerful of Secrets in our early teens in our tiny study rooms at school with a new 50 pound stereo booming out- Led Zep 1, etc. What a life! going home my dad said I didn't seem to be the same boy anymore- he was right!

After Syd's breakdown I think they were trying to find their feet,alternating between the psychedelia and short songs till they scored big with DSOM, after that as Waters found his feet composing he just took over. Gilmour's a great guitarist but a limited song writer compared to Waters in my view.

They always had the light shows to augment the psychedelic music but I think post DSOM they realized there was no reason for people to come to the concerts if it would be so like the album, and it's hard to improvised round Water's songs, so the light show became very important.

There are great interviews with Waters on youtube, like Townsend he's an intelligent bloke.

Quite a contrast between Syd's Alice in Wonderland, happy pixies style and Roger's despairing Pros and cons of hitchhiking genre.

Whatever, I can't think of Cambridge lawns and lovely but rare English summer days without thinking of songs like this!

As for losing that creative spark, listen to this, blood curling, frightening, keep those adjectives coming.

PF stumbled upon, whether by accident, design or pure luck a formula that worked and stuck with it, in the end it became mind numbingly comfortable.

Contrast the future elevator music with this epic.

Funny you mention elevator music because I remember to this day the first time I heard The Floyd in a department store, it was John Lewis's in Bristol, 74 or 75 and they were playing Dark Side of the Moon. I couldn't believe it, Pink Floyd in a department store, there had to be some mistake! this wasn't right, the counter culture was dead.

Syd lost the plot but there was never anyone quite like him

More classic rock, perfect for singing along to after a couple of beers, preferably at an outdoor concert, long hair flowing in the breeze, sweet smell of freshly cut grass in the air (if you get my drift) with a couple of folks throwing a frisbee to and fro. Gorgeous summer's evening, shadows lengthening and some beautiful girl dancing in a flowing dress.

rgs has gone remarkably quiet, I do hope he hasn't become comfortably numb or set the controls for the heart of the sun. Apparently his better half said be careful with the axe Eugene or there could be brain damage -.or even worse absolutely curtains.

The manic energy of the Notting Hill boys should revive him.