Battery Water

In my local car battery shop, they sell 2 types of battery water.

One is the "regular" clear kind simply called "Deionized", for 15 baht a bottle.

The other, presumably more "premium" is color PINK... and the brand is "DELIGHT"; for 20 baht a bottle.

What is the difference between these 2???

Is it safe to put either one into my car battery??

:blink:

Battery Water

Battery_Water.jpgAt The-Water-Company.com, we suggest using deionized water for battery water. Technically, it would be possible to use higher purity water as battery water, but given the water application we would consider anything beyond the quality of deionized water to be somewhat over the top.

I always was told plain old distilled water works fine. But this company "suggests" deionized water

Battery Water

Battery_Water.jpgAt The-Water-Company.com, we suggest using deionized water for battery water. Technically, it would be possible to use higher purity water as battery water, but given the water application we would consider anything beyond the quality of deionized water to be somewhat over the top.

I always was told plain old distilled water works fine. But this company "suggests" deionized water

I believe destilled water still contains minerals/metals which damage battery

Deionized water or purer works fine

Distilled water is OK....If it's done in a steam generator or boiler that has de-ionising chemicals added to the feed water supply. Otherwise buy the de-ionizing water at the battery shop.

So then...

What was that "pink" colored "premium" water available at the battery shop... which was a little more expensive than the deionized water?? (20 baht instead of 15)

Is it "better"? Will it take a longer time to evaporate perhaps? Does it prevent rust?

Stick a bucket outside next time it rains. Yes You can use rainwater to refill a car battery.

Best if you collect the rainwater in a jar or clean bucket using a fine gauze to filter out any particles or bugs that may have been caught by the rain

So then...

What was that "pink" colored "premium" water available at the battery shop... which was a little more expensive than the deionized water?? (20 baht instead of 15)

Is it "better"? Will it take a longer time to evaporate perhaps? Does it prevent rust?

Whats the difference between all the drinking waters in 7-eleven except the price?

Evaporation depends on how battery is charged, not quality of water.

Lead in battery doesnt rust, it oxides if exposed to air and not covered by water/acid. Within a couple of years it oxides anyway, and new battery is needed

The pink fluid is not water alone it is an acid/water restorer like what is in the battery when new. It may give your battery some new life if an older one but not recommended for newer batteries, the distilled water is what should be used, using too much of the pink solution will shorten the batteries life if it's not an older battery as it will increase acid content and dissolve the lead plates quicker... It should only be used when the acid content is low...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Interesting, as we know deionised/distilled water is supposed to be clear of every possible thing including the removal of + & - charge and leave the purest of water. For your pink stuff, my thoughts are acid but why pink but something must have been added, hmmmmm, so not pure. Love to know whats in it. :) Perhaps it was dentist supplies ( gargle ). :D

PS. If you use tap water you will shorten the already short life of a Thai battery.:o

LOS tap water usually contains loads of minerals and metals, providing a very short lifetime for battery

Interesting, as we know deionised/distilled water is supposed to be clear of every possible thing including the removal of + & - charge and leave the purest of water. For your pink stuff, my thoughts are acid but why pink but something must have been added, hmmmmm, so not pure. Love to know whats in it. :) Perhaps it was dentist supplies ( gargle ). :D

PS. If you use tap water you will shorten the already short life of a Thai battery.:o

Well thanks for the confirmation of my information if not the credit. The pink color of the liquid is a benign indicator to distinguish the regular distilled water from the acid/water mix so as not to injure or poison one's self if one should drink or rinse with it thinking it is just plain water and to treat it with more precautions much like they add scent to undetectable gases such as LP or CNG to bring awarness to any potential leaks..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I wonder... since my battery is more than 2 years old, should I be using the pink one?

Battery was so weak car almost didn't start last week, but it turns out it was just drained of water (I thought all batteries were maintenance-free nowadays) and battery seems to slowly be "reviving" after I put the regular deionized water. (can start with one crank already, but cranking is still a bit slow).

Maybe the pink one will revive it better?

:huh:

I wonder... since my battery is more than 2 years old, should I be using the pink one?

Battery was so weak car almost didn't start last week, but it turns out it was just drained of water (I thought all batteries were maintenance-free nowadays) and battery seems to slowly be "reviving" after I put the regular deionized water. (can start with one crank already, but cranking is still a bit slow).

Yes you should have done that already when it was dry, and as for maintenance free, no such thing in Thailand so I've heard and easy enough to confirm by looking at your battery if it has little caps on each cell that are removable then it is intended to be refilled...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Well thanks for the confirmation of my information if not the credit. The pink color of the liquid is a benign indicator to distinguish the regular distilled water from the acid/water mix so as not to injure or poison one's self if one should drink or rinse with it thinking it is just plain water and to treat it with more precautions much like they add scent to undetectable gases such as LP or CNG to bring awarness to any potential leaks..

A pleasure,..... but especially here l would put in big letters on the bottle ' ACID, DO NOT DRINK , NOT LOU KOU ' :D spelt correctly of course.

Well TiT...

Yes you should have done that already when it was dry, and as for maintenance free, no such thing in Thailand so I've heard and easy enough to confirm by looking at your battery if it has little caps on each cell that are removable then it is intended to be refilled...

Plenty of maintenance free batteries in LOS. Even a 55k baht Yammy Nouvo E comes with sealed, gel maintenance free battery

When a battery has been dry, lead plates have sulfated, and its very hard or usually impossible, to regain storage capacity from this part of the battery again.

Buying a new one for car/truck, I find Boliden maintenance free the best choice in LOS, 1800-3000 baht depending on size

Batteries with screw caps should be checked on liquid-level every month to avoid running dry/sulfating.

Well there you go then, I knew there was maintenance free motorcycle batteries but since it didn't apply, didn't mention it.. Guess that's why I posted my disclaimer of having been told as I certainly don't profess to being up on the entire battery market here... Anyway the fact of having fill caps is always a dead give away to the novice...

Edited by WarpSpeed

That happened to me, I didn't know the battery wasn't maintenance free and I'm guessing the dealer who serviced the car didn't either. The battery lasted a couple of months after refilling with battery water before dying for good. Save yourself some hassle and just get a new one now.

How do you know the stuff the battery shop sell you is even distilled, not to mention de-ionized. He could have fill it under a tap using recycle bottle. Go watch "Slum dog & millionaire" (Indian movie), and you know what I mean.

How do you know the stuff the battery shop sell you is even distilled, not to mention de-ionized. He could have fill it under a tap using recycle bottle. Go watch "Slum dog & millionaire" (Indian movie), and you know what I mean.

You don't which is why I would recommend buying some of your own and either checking your own battery regularly (first choice) or at least bringing it to them and having them top it off..

^^And there was another thread here touting the dealerships ability to be more competent and take better care of your car then you can? Quite competent that one if they don't even know nor even check to see if your battery is maintenance free and requires water :huh: ...

You don't which is why I would recommend buying some of your own and either checking your own battery regularly (first choice) or at least bringing it to them and having them top it off..

^^And there was another thread here touting the dealerships ability to be more competent and take better care of your car then you can? Quite competent that one if they don't even know nor even check to see if your battery is maintenance free and requires water :huh: ...

whats the similarity between a battery shop and an authorised service partner for cars?

..... I'm guessing the dealer who serviced the car didn't either. ....

Out of curiosity I just read the owners manual for my vehicle. There is a page for the battery which states where the fluid level should be but in the periodic maintenance schedule there is no mention of the battery.

Which could be why the dealer either missed it or didn't do it because it may not be on the routine service work order list.

Edited by VocalNeal

whats the similarity between a battery shop and an authorised service partner for cars?

If your question is directed at me it is unclear... My post is directed at the comment regarding the dealership hence the " ^^ " prior to the post... So I would answer that your question is irrelevant in that case as my post is in reference to that post..

Sorry Warpy...don't know of any places in Thailand to buy such a thing but I'm sure they exist here.

Further, deionised water uses a cheaper (& quicker) method of water purification compared to distillation. Distilled water is the best to use for batteries. Even better if it is double distilled. Deionising chemicals would be useless if used in water that is going to be distilled.

More suggestions:

1] Try to avoid using 'maintenance free' wet cells (in Thailand). All wet cells lose electrolyte, 'maintenance free' or not. The only difference is that with a 'normal' battery, you can top up the electrolyte, which can't easily be done with a maintenance free battery. Also, if you have a 'normal' battery, you can check the 'Specific Gravity' with a hydrometer, which can tell you a great deal about the battery.

2] If you use a hydrometer, it should ideally read about 1.25 for a fully charged new battery (maybe a bit higher if the ambient is above 20 degrees Celsius). If the reading is lower, more acid (36% sulfuric acid) is required. If the reading is higher, more distilled water is required.

3] It's a good idea to check your battery with a hydrometer about once a month.

4] Higher 'constant' ambient temperatures (e.g. Thailand) will reduce battery life.

Wet cell 'secondary' batteries are quite complex & their life is affected by many things.

Slightly O/T but kind of not, anyone had a battery last at least two years here? Mine seem to go right after the one year warranty goes.

Ha! :lol: I was just about to post that. 2 years, that's how long your battery will last, maybe 2 1/2. Anyhow, I buy the pink stuff, don't know why. I DID buy the 50% more expensive "no maintenance" battery once, and you guessed it, it lasted 2 years.

Correct. Even the "flat top" maintenance free batteries require refilling of water periodically.